I'm starting to thing there's a lot of Martial Art trash out there

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. nope. Especially the bow stance. From the outside looking in, it looks like people are just standing but there's so much more to it. Then you add transition into and out of bow stance, where it should be strong etc. yeah I know right off the back it's not going to be a 5 minutes lesson for me lol.

I see people train the horse stance like this and the first thing that comes to mind is "NO. Not the the same thing." as doing it without the wall. This looks like a person is training the same thing but it isn't. When people train like this they are no driving energy into the feet to support the stance. They are now driving the energy into the wall. If the wall was made of foam, we would see where that energy is being placed by the indentations left in the foam.

Then add your steps for transitions and all of this becomes just a leg strengthening exercise with no other purpose beyond that. One can train like this for years and still end up with a weak horse stance for fighting, striking, and grappling.
View attachment 23631
It’s what I call the difference between an active stance and a passive stance. Passive is where you simply use your feet as a platform to hold you up. If you go deep, then you can develop strong legs which is a good thing, but is only part of what you need.

With active stance, you are pressing your feet against the ground at an angle to get a good rooting, and then pressing against the ground to drive your stance changes. Power begins with the push of the feet into the ground. Stance change needs to be active because that is where the work gets done. Stance change isn’t just repositioning your feet and turning your body. That is passive stance change, there is no power for a technique, and no work gets done. Power is created and work is done in the transitions between stances. Actual stances are just a posture at the beginning or end of a movement. No work getting done there.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They turn their brain off and simply follow the leader, without really learning anything. Gotta internalize the lessons and take ownership of the training.
This is always a risk with group training. Students themselves usually don't realize what they don't know until they are told to lead the class.

I remember those days both in my first school and my second one. The first one would teach 2 ways to use a technique. Then one day the teacher will ask a student for 3 ways. Knowing 2 ways means you paid attention to class. Knowing the third means that you spent time on exploring the technique beyond the 2 answers.

The second school randomly made students lead the forms. The teaching would get in with the other students and watch the lead student while everyone else got nervous thinking they were going to get picked next lol.

D

Deleted member 39746

no it hasnt rat, it was a bad idea when you were insisting it wasnt, its still a bad idea, the only thing thats changed is people who used to be quite correctly opposed to it, now only have that and so are fooling themsrlves its adequate just as you were.

It has, and i never advocated specfically online based study and this isnt the thread to bring up a decades worth of pros and cons and dogmacism over training models or devotion over specfic models of learning.

It has either been go to a online class room or not do the specfic learning. the validity of home study is more or less dependent on mindset and equipment avalible. (cant do heavy bag combos if you dont hae a heavy bag or a decent enough stand in for one for example)

And i have just come to the realsiation this is just going to be a pointless waste of time and edventually strawman out so i will not contiue this after this reply. The pros and cons are pretty clear as day and have been laid out enough for somone who has been in the community long enough to get a decent idea of them if they dont know them.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 39746

This is always a risk with group training. Students themselves usually don't realize what they don't know until they are told to lead the class.

TL;DR so i dont know the full context and may have missed it or my reply been covered.

But isnt that why there are tests to check if the teaching staff know the material and curriculem sufficently for their level? Or to be allowed higher up on it? thats also why you start off as a assistant and they normally only go solo for the new memebers so they dont need to know as much, they jsut need to know the starting curccilem suffciently to teach it to new students. (if they do indeed do it solo)

The second school randomly made students lead the forms. The teaching would get in with the other students and watch the lead student while everyone else got nervous thinking they were going to get picked next lol.

amusingly using higher belts and not specfic instructors seems to be pretty common. Pros and Cons, the beggining material isnt usually that hard to pick up and if they do that the higher up mighr be watching and check if they did it. I think some people may test people who have expressed a want to teach it like that. Or they might not really have a A instructor role or they may treat everyone beyond X rank as a instructor and test accordingly. (you should test accordingly if thats the case)

Addendum: I suppose better wording is, you can show somone how its done if you know how to do it, so where ever that is apt they can do that, and if somone else is on hand to give assistance if needed there shouldnt be that much issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has, and i never advocated specfically online based study and this isnt the thread to bring up a decades worth of pros and cons and dogmacism over training models or devotion over specfic models of learning.

It has either been go to a online class room or not do the specfic learning. the validity of home study is more or less dependent on mindset and equipment avalible. (cant do heavy bag combos if you dont hae a heavy bag or a decent enough stand in for one for example)

And i have just come to the realsiation this is just going to be a pointless waste of time and edventually strawman out so i will not contiue this after this reply. The pros and cons are pretty clear as day and have been laid out enough for somone who has been in the community long enough to get a decent idea of them if they dont know them.
there lots of people it seems that pound away on a heavy bag and think it makes them a boxer or an mma guy.

when the truth is that someone of compatable strengh and size will knock them over in a few seconds if they have had even 6 months of quality instruction (and pounded a heavy bag )

we get them a lot at the community boxing gym i volinteer at, they are completlyy fooled by the fact the target doesnt stand still and hits back

nb i dont provied the quality instruction, im more in charge of fitness

Latest Discussions