I'm starting to thing there's a lot of Martial Art trash out there

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a way that you tell your students and they will believe you. This doesn't take too much time to achieve. IMO, the best way is to let your students to test and draw conclusion by themselves.
My experience is that you can let students do things and hope they will learn through experience. If they still don't learn then they do not have your words to guide them to what is correct. If you provide your words to what is correct, they will remember them even if they think you are wrong.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How to change a horse stance into a bow-arrow stance, and also how to change it back will require a lot of training time.

Since the bow-arrow stance is wider than the horse stance, how to increase that extra width from the horse stance is the key. Should you adjust that extra distance by your leading foot, or by your back foot? You can hear argument from both sides. Also when you change your bow-arrow stance back into your horse stance, how to decrease that width is also the key.

Can you teach this in 5 minutes? I don't think so.

horse-stance-to-bow-arrow-stance.jpg
ha ha ha.. nope. Especially the bow stance. From the outside looking in, it looks like people are just standing but there's so much more to it. Then you add transition into and out of bow stance, where it should be strong etc. yeah I know right off the back it's not going to be a 5 minutes lesson for me lol.

I see people train the horse stance like this and the first thing that comes to mind is "NO. Not the the same thing." as doing it without the wall. This looks like a person is training the same thing but it isn't. When people train like this they are no driving energy into the feet to support the stance. They are now driving the energy into the wall. If the wall was made of foam, we would see where that energy is being placed by the indentations left in the foam.

Then add your steps for transitions and all of this becomes just a leg strengthening exercise with no other purpose beyond that. One can train like this for years and still end up with a weak horse stance for fighting, striking, and grappling.
upload_2021-2-8_14-27-9.png

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see that happening definitely not at 6 seconds and not at 45 seconds. You are doing what most people aren't able to do when talking about the horse stance.

There is more than 45 seconds of valuable information about a horse stance. If you only saying how to get into one, how your feet should be turned and the weight distribution, then you are leaving out tons of information about the horse stance.

Is that information important for students to follow along and start developing the horse stance? How much of that information is going to go in one ear and out the other because they're getting overloaded? Or, for advanced students, how many are going to pay attention to the entire spiel every time you give it?

You could spend 5 minutes explaining it, and then go around checking. Or you can give 10 seconds explaining it, and then go around and check. When you notice something most of them are doing, you fix that thing. Then there's no point in going too much further, because people are only going to remember one or two corrections at a time anyway. If you give them 10 things to fix, by the next class they won't remember any of them, because they'll try to remember it all and get nothing.

Alternatively, if a student asks "why" questions or asks for more detail, you can provide it.

You spend time on it because it's important. There's a right way and a wrong way to do push ups and not everyone does them correctly. Doing push ups the wrong way can cause injury and decrease the benefit of doing push ups.

If it's part of training then that's what we do, regardless of what they can do at home.

Time is a resource. Everything we do in class is important. If you make time for everything, classes will be 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Proper nutrition is important. Do you eat during class? Proper rest is important. Do you sleep during class?

If you have an hour class, you can spend 5 minutes on warmups and have 55 minutes of class. Or you can spend 20 minutes on warmups and have 40 minutes. I remember one instructor we had for Saturdays who would spend around 40 minutes on warmups. Within 2 months, there were only 3 people taking Saturday class: me and my parents. Why? Too much warmup.

Also, keep in mind that what you consider "warmup", someone else might consider a drill. For example, if you do 20 minutes of punches and kicks and call that a warmup, someone else might call it 20 minutes of class.

It's just so narrow-minded to say "they only do 5 minutes of warmup, it must be a bad school." I can just as easily turn around and say "you spend too much time on warmup. It's to pad your class time because you don't know enough to fill a whole hour."

You see how easy it is to spin "they train different" into "they train bad"?

The width of this horse stance is too wide by most MA systems standard. Most MA systems use "shoulder width + 2 fists distance" to define the proper width of a horse stance. Most wrestlers prefer to use "shoulder width" for their horse stance.

What's your source on this? What you describe is a narrow horse stance. I've never heard of a wrestler training a horse stance, either. (And I did take wrestling in school).

There is a way that you tell your students and they will believe you. This doesn't take too much time to achieve. IMO, the best way is to let your students to test and draw conclusion by themselves.

This is why it takes more time to explain to your students the proper width of the horse stance.

- When your feet are touching, you have weak balance. Any foot sweep from outside can destroy your balance.
- When your feet move apart, your balance will increase.
- There is a point that if you keep moving your feet apart, your balance will get weaker. Any leg spring from inside can destroy your balance.

You have to let your students to go through this kind of testing in order to convince themselves what's the best horse stance width.

A: Dear teacher! What's the proper width for a horse stance?
B: Try to stand in many different width horse stance. let your opponent to sweep your foot from outside, and also to spring your foot from inside, you then draw the conclusion yourself what's the best width for a horse stance.
A: That will require too much testing time.
B: You only have to test it once and you will convince yourself for the rest of your life.

If the students are supposed to figure this out themselves, then why bother spending 5 minutes describing it? Even if you describe it the way you're describing it, it shouldn't add more than 15 seconds or so to explain "You want your feet double shoulder width apart; if your feet are too close, you'll topple easy, but if they're too far apart you lose out on speed and power."

If students need more of an explanation, that can come later (once they've understood the basics).

And yes, I find that for white belts, quite often explaining the "why" of everything is a bit much. You're taking time away from drilling for lecture. And at this point, they're getting so overloaded with information they can't absorb it all anyway. Give more detail if it's asked for, but as a beginner, if you spend 5 minutes explaining the horse stance, most beginners are going to get bored, because they're not training.

For example:
  • T: You want your feet double shoulder width, knees bent over your feet, toes pointed straight. (1)
  • S: Why do we have our feet this far apart?
  • T: For optimum balance, speed and power. (2)
  • S: What do you mean?
  • T: If your feet are too close, you're easy to trip. If your feet are too far, you don't have the control for balance or power. (3)
  • S: What do you mean?
  • T: Try it out and see. (4)

For a beginner, Line 1 is often enough. They can follow along with the training. If they want to know more, then Line 2 usually sufficient. It describes the purpose of that metric. Most people don't need (or even want) to know every detail. They want to know enough to meet their goal. But if they don't understand it, they'll continue asking. That's why the explanation gets more detailed further on.

Time is a resource. Your student's attention span and memory retention are also resources. If you spend too much time on the details, there won't be any time left to actually practice.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's your source on this?
From science.

Here is an example of a wide horse stance. If you use your right foot to spring his left foot to his left (make his horse stance to be even wider), he will fall easily, and you don't need to use too much force.

wide-horse-stance.jpg

If we use the bell curve for the horse stance width, the highest point of the bell curve will give you the best balance.

bell-curve.jpg

I've never heard of a wrestler training a horse stance, either. (And I did take wrestling in school).
To me, wrestler include

- western wrestler,
- Chinese wrestler,
- Judo player.

This is western wrestler's horse stance.

wrestling-embrace.jpg

This is Judo guy's horse stance. It's easy to see that their horse stance is only shoulder width.

Judo-hip-throw.jpg

Chinese wrestler's horse stance.

Chang-horse-stance.jpg

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From science.

Here is an example of a wide horse stance. If you use your right foot to spring his left foot to his left (make his horse stance to be even wider), he will fall easily, and you don't need to use too much force.

wide-horse-stance.jpg

If we use the bell curve for the horse stance width, the highest point of the bell curve will give you the best balance.

That's triple shoulder width.

Even then, this is viable training if the purpose is to strengthen your legs.

To me, wrestler include

- western wrestler,
- Chinese wrestler,
- Judo player.

wrestling-embrace.jpg

This is Judo guy's horse stance. It's easy to see that their horse stance is only shoulder width.

Judo-hip-throw.jpg

Chang-horse-stance.jpg

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif

I've never heard of those described as a "horse stance". Typically horse stance training is the striking training, which is done with feet double shoulder width (as in Karate and Taekwondo).

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is that information important for students to follow along and start developing the horse stance?
Yes it is. If you plan on using and applying it in training. Me giving students that information early in training sets them to purpose beyond just standing. Now the horse stance has a purpose and use beyond, "making the legs stronger." it becomes functional.

How much of that information is going to go in one ear and out the other because they're getting overloaded?
To be honest I never know, what sticks and what doesn't which is why I will repeat information more than once. The more people hear it, the more likely it will stick. Repetition is a natural learning process so I don't mind repeating myself. If they don't remember they first time then they will remember either the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time when I repeat it.

Or, for advanced students, how many are going to pay attention to the entire spiel every time you give it?
If they are old enough to understand what I'm saying then I will say it. If they are 5 or 6 years old then I turn it into a game and only speak to what they can understand. If you are 8 years old and older then you will here me repeat it over and over. This way people remember more this way than they would if I only say it once.

Then there's no point in going too much further, because people are only going to remember one or two corrections at a time anyway.
I make important correction when I see critical errors, things that will cause self-injury or things that will affect the root of the stance structure. Chambered fists can be addressed later in another class that teaches about cambering the fists. By the time that class comes up the student would have a decent stance to practice chambered punches from. Not only will they have a good stance for that they will have a good stance for use in mobility drills, where we move while in horse or transition into horse.

Have a bad stance and everything else will be garbage as well.

lternatively, if a student asks "why" questions or asks for more detail, you can provide it.
Most of the student's that I've taught don't ask me too many "Why" questions. That's probably because I provide them with enough information that they already know "the why."

Time is a resource. Everything we do in class is important. If you make time for everything, classes will be 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Proper nutrition is important. Do you eat during class? Proper rest is important. Do you sleep during class?
Proper nutrition is important but not during training. It's what you do pre and post training. During training you don't want have a full stomach of food or water regardless of how good it is for your.

Proper rest is important as well. You can't train and do kung fu in your sleep. So that defeats the purpose. 8 hours of sleep isn't going to fit in a 1 hour training session. So it's not realistic sleep. We do take breaks that are considered a part of training. Our breaks are 30 seconds to a Minute depending on the exercise, drill, or training that is done.

If everyone trains and no one is standing around then you can get a lot done in 1 hour. You can build strength and condition and do kung fu techniques. If all you do is have people standing in a line waiting their turn then you'll get very little done.

If you need more time then you can dedicate days for additional training. Sparring days for my old school was always on Thursday. Training time for sparring was 2 hours. Sunday training was also available for forms assistance where up to 3 hours could be spent on forms if desired. This allowed students to self-train in an environment where they can get help if they need it.

This used to be the training schedule for my old school
M, W, F, = 1 hour each day
Thursday = 2 hours
Saturday = 2 hours (1 hour for class 1 hours for additional help if needed or additional training if desired.)
Sunday = up to 3 hours.

In total it was possible for students to get 10 hours of training in 1 week. This didn't include any training that they may do on their own at home.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you spend 5 minutes explaining the horse stance, most beginners are going to get bored, because they're not training.
If you explain to them while they are in a horse stance then they don't get bored. They can actually make adjustments and correction as you explain. This way it's more interactive.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your student's attention span and memory retention are also resources. If you spend too much time on the details, there won't be any time left to actually practice.
The first beginner form that I was taught has more than 100 movements and 59 unique techniques. The one thing that kung fu students get really good at, is memory and retention. If you don't have a good memory when you get there you'll have one after that first form. That beginner form is our shortest form.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Proper nutrition is important but not during training. It's what you do pre and post training. During training you don't want have a full stomach of food or water regardless of how good it is for your.

Conditioning is important, but not during training. It's what you do pre and post training. During training, you don't want to be fatigued, no matter how good it is for you. See how that works?

To be honest I never know, what sticks and what doesn't which is why I will repeat information more than once. The more people hear it, the more likely it will stick. Repetition is a natural learning process so I don't mind repeating myself. If they don't remember they first time then they will remember either the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time when I repeat it.

So there's no refinement to your teaching process. Just "fire for effect."

If you explain to them while they are in a horse stance then they don't get bored. They can actually make adjustments and correction as you explain. This way it's more interactive.

So all you're doing is just the horse stance while you explain? This is funny, because before you were saying...

Warm-ups always served a double purpose.

So your warmups serve a double purpose, but then all you do is horse stance? Or are you technique technique along with that horse stance? If you're teaching technique, you can still correct the issues, but do so while you're doing techniques.

I just think it's funny you're so quick to trash someone else's program, but yours is even easier to trash. You might want to think about that before you start making these posts.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From science.

wide-horse-stance.jpg

bell-curve.jpg

To me, wrestler include

- western wrestler,
- Chinese wrestler,
- Judo player.

wrestling-embrace.jpg

Judo-hip-throw.jpg

Chang-horse-stance.jpg

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif

Your knowledge of horse stance is a perfect example of how much isn't taught. People will take 20 years of martial arts and still not see the reality of a horse stance.

Most people think that this is all that it is.
wide-horse-stance.jpg

This is a weak horse stance. The middle becomes weak when the legs are this far apart, mobility is also greatly decreased. If you put downward weight on his shoulders, his structure would collapse

This is a much better structure. With this a person can support another person on their back (for example in a throw) and not have to worry about the center collapse. .
V=
bell-curve.jpg

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At $12.99/mo, I think that's got to just be some pre-recorded videos or a webcast, with no instructor interaction. I can't imagine that any student would make a lot of progress that way, unless they already have experience and are very self-motivated. It might be okay for someone who's just looking for a cardio kickboxing type workout and doesn't care about learning technique, though.

Live Zoom classes with a small class size are the way to go for online learning, IMO. They're still not as good as working with an instructor in-person, but it's the next best thing, since the instructor can see what you're doing and you can ask them questions. But you can't price that at $12.99/mo and have that be a viable model, even if you're teaching out of your garage.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Conditioning is important, but not during training.
In Kung fu conditioning is part of training. They are one of the same.

So there's no refinement to your teaching process. Just "fire for effect."
Not sure what Refinement you are expecting. All of my students enjoy training with me and and enjoyed me teaching the classes. They quality went down after I left the school. When students wanted to know how to fight using kung fu, they would seek my help.

I know the U.S. has a bad habit of "Instant Result" but everything can't be done that way. Somethings just take time to do and there's no way around it.

So all you're doing is just the horse stance while you explain? This is funny, because before you were saying...
Where are you confused so I can clear up your confusion. If I'm teaching horse stance I'm not just teaching them how to stand there. I'm also teaching the functional use of a horse stance. This is important in Jow Ga kung fu because we move while in horse. We actually have a stance form dedicated to the stances.

This isn't the best representation of the form, and it's not my school, but it proves the point about the importance that Jow Ga places on stances and stance transitioning. Every Jow Ga school that I know of has a form that is dedicated to training the stepping, transitions, and stances.

So your warmups serve a double purpose, but then all you do is horse stance? Or are you technique technique along with that horse stance? If you're teaching technique, you can still correct the issues, but do so while you're doing techniques.

I just think it's funny you're so quick to trash someone else's program, but yours is even easier to trash. You might want to think about that before you start making these posts.
Not sure how you got all of this about how I train a horse stance. Not sure how you even think that all I do is train horse stance when I've actually shown me teaching classes.

You are reading what I'm posting and making wild assumptions about the total of what I do.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At $12.99/mo, I think that's got to just be some pre-recorded videos or a webcast, with no instructor interaction. I can't imagine that any student would make a lot of progress that way, unless they already have experience and are very self-motivated. It might be okay for someone who's just looking for a cardio kickboxing type workout and doesn't care about learning technique, though.

Live Zoom classes with a small class size are the way to go for online learning, IMO. They're still not as good as working with an instructor in-person, but it's the next best thing, since the instructor can see what you're doing and you can ask them questions. But you can't price that at $12.99/mo and have that be a viable model, even if you're teaching out of your garage.
I agree. I took a look at some of those classes and it a lot was like. Watch this video, send me a video. I'll grade you., you'll get a belt. If I personally wanted to learn like that, I would just watch youtube videos from one school or purchase a video tape. Either way would be cheaper than $12.99 a month for the same results.

For me personally a Live Class is not only good for me but it's also good for the students. It's gets everyone in a routine. Everyone stays in shape, everyone trains together. A lot of fitness equipment is following that same suit where you aren't just riding a bike or watching a video. The live classes keeps it interactive and for me that's a big plus when teaching others.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are reading what I'm posting and making wild assumptions about the total of what I do.

Isn't that what you did with this website you're criticizing?

In Kung fu conditioning is part of training. They are one of the same.

For all of Kung Fu? Every style of it? Every school under it? You speak for every style of Kung Fu? Pardon me. I didn't realize we had the senior grandmaster of all of Kung Fu on this forum!

Not sure how you got all of this about how I train a horse stance. Not sure how you even think that all I do is train horse stance when I've actually shown me teaching classes.

First off, I haven't watched your videos. Are you so egotistical to think that everyone watches your videos? I didn't realize it was a requirement on martial talk to watch all of your videos. Then again, I didn't realize you were the senior grandmaster of all of Kung Fu.

Why did I think that? How about the fact you said that you can spend 5 minutes on horse stance, and then went on to describe that you're sitting in horse stance during that time. You made it sound like that's what you do.

Now that you say you're doing techniques in horse stance, don't you think that either:
  • The shorter video than you expect is just covering the stance itself, and the techniques will come later?
  • The shorter video than you expect includes less techniques and examples, and more will come in later lessons?
You've got this wild assumption that your way is the only way. That classes must be timed like yours, paced like yours. The way in which techniques are taught should be the same as yours. You're so quick to criticize this site for the way they're doing things. It's just as easy to criticize you. It's actually easier, because where the site doesn't respond, you continue to respond and provide more fuel to the fire.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For all of Kung Fu? Every style of it? Every school under it? You speak for every style of Kung Fu? Pardon me. I didn't realize we had the senior grandmaster of all of Kung Fu on this forum!
You have to understand what's the meaning of Kung Fu.

Kung 功 = ability.
Fu 夫 = time.

Kung Fu means you spend time to develop certain ability.

Old Chinese saying said, "If you only train solo form, partner drill, sparring and you don't develop your ability, when you get old, you will have nothing left."

So what's ability training? IMO, ability training include:

- grip strength,
- arm strength,
- leg strength,
- full body functional strength,

The human flag is a good example of full body functional strength training. My teacher could still do this when he was 72 years old.

human-flag.jpg

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to understand what's the meaning of Kung Fu.

That comment was specifically directed at the person who said it.

So what's ability training? IMO, ability training include:

When you have to say "In My Opinion", you prove my point.

To be clear, I'm not saying that conditioning training is bad. I'm saying that it's bad to say "the amount of conditioning I do is right, and everyone who does a different amount of conditioning training is trash." That's rude and unenlightened. I was just trying to point out to him how easy it is turn his criticisms on himself.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Isn't that what you did with this website you're criticizing?
No it's not. When I look at what is being taught and how long the video is, I can tell you that something is off or incomplete.

If you tell me that it takes you 45 seconds to teach horse stance, I will tell you and I'm telling you. That something is either off or incomplete. That's just the truth. If I made a video covering the horse stance that was only 45 seconds long, that truth would hold true for me as well. It's not a personal dig. Like I said before. Some things take time. Just like you can't learn to play the guitar in 45 seconds. It ain't happening.

Now. I may have error or jump to conclusion where the videos are 4 hours long and not 4 minutes long. That's possible, I personally don't know of any 4 hour warm up sessions.

Here's
This Long Fist Sequence Basic Video is 4 hours long for basics

That one class I did a screenshot of is doing it in 4:39. If this is actually 4 hours and 30 minutes then that sounds more realistic. But that would also means he's got almost 5 hours worth of warmups as well. So what's more realistic? 5 minutes of warm up or 5 hours worth of warm ups?

I also read what that specific class offered as well. The teacher's syllabus not mine. You haven't read it, and I made sure not to single that person out by not including a link to his page. You can't say as much, you can't tell me what is fully offered beyond that one screenshoot. I've read it the entire sysllabus and how the classes work. The teacher was clear about what was being offered.

For every kung fu school that I know of and from every kung fu student and sifu I have spoken to. They will tell you, you can't be weak and do kung fu. It just isn't happening. You may be weak for your first month, but after that you only get stronger. The only people who I've seen remain weak were the ones who didn't train or show up for class consistently. Even if you do Tai Chi consistently for a month, you'll be stronger than you were on day 1.

The reason why is because conditioning and training are the same thing. If you are doing conditioning then you are training, if you are training then you conditioning. It would be almost impossible to separate the two. Even Tai Chi for seniors make seniors stronger and it conditions the ligaments, muscle, and balance at the same time. Not sure why this is such an unbelievable thing for you.

First off, I haven't watched your videos. Are you so egotistical to think that everyone watches your videos?
Not my fault that you don't watch my videos. Ego doesn't have anything to do with it, I mentioned it to highlight the information that you are missing. Had you seen some of my small video clips then you would know that I don't just teach horse stance. Remember. You accused me of that. It wasn't me accusing you of that.

I don't care if you don't ever watch any of my videos. Just remember that when you try to talk about what I do and what I don't do. Take note that you don't watch any of my videos so all you have is an assumption to go on.

I watch videos that other people post which is why I don't make assumptions that all someone does is horse stance.

Why did I think that? How about the fact you said that you can spend 5 minutes on horse stance, and then went on to describe that you're sitting in horse stance during that time.
What are you talking about? I'm not standing in a horse stance for 5 minutes. I only stay in the horse stance for as long as the majority of the students can stay in it. In Kung Fu the practitioners do more than one thing at the same time. I don't explain then do. I do and explain at the same time. The other way around wastes time.

again you make assumptions

Now that you say you're doing techniques in horse stance, don't you think that either:
  • The shorter video than you expect is just covering the stance itself, and the techniques will come later?
  • The shorter video than you expect includes less techniques and examples, and more will come in later lessons?
I don't even know what you are talking about. I just know that certain things can only be done within a certain time limit. If you tell me that you baked a cake in 45 seconds then I would tell you that you either left some stuff out or your knowledge about a cake is incomplete.

You've got this wild assumption that your way is the only way.
The only assumption that I make is that it takes a certain amount of time to teach a certain amount of knowledge.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you have to say "In My Opinion", you prove my point.
lol I think the last time Kung Fu Wang mentioned why he says IMO, it wasn't that it proves your point. It was that it was the path to least resistance because people like you get over sensitive. I believe he actually has threads about this.

You accept Kung Fu wants statement even though they are are similar to mine. But when I say it, you get all upset about the same thing.

If you don't think it's bad then that's fine. Had you started there, then I wouldn't have had much to say about you. But when you try to tell me how I teach and you know nothing about that, then that's why I correct you and try to clear up your confusion.

If you take note. The things that you are complaining about is not about what I posted. It's about how you think I teach. Instead of addressing what I posted, you personalized it. So I correct you.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's rude and unenlightened. I was just trying to point out to him how easy it is turn his criticisms on himself.
So why didn't you use "IMO That's rude and unenlightedned" If your point was to just turn my criticism on myself then you just wasted your time. Everyone is going to criticize in one way or another. Sometimes it's going be about me and and sometimes it's going to be about someone else. That's just how life is. Trying to avoid criticism is not realistic. A person can get less of it by saying IMO, but you'll still get it.

I'll never say IMO 2+2=4. If it's something that I see to be solid then it's best to just come out and say it. If people don't like that, then that's life too. Not everyone is going to like what I say, Not everyone is going to agree with me. If the purpose of your whole discussion was to turn criticism on me, then that's fine to. It only makes my confidence in what I said stronger, because nothing you stated disproved anything of what I stated.

None of what you stated today will change the fact that there is a lot of martial arts garbage out there.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You spend time on it because it's important. There's a right way and a wrong way to do push ups and not everyone does them correctly. Doing push ups the wrong way can cause injury and decrease the benefit of doing push ups.

If it's part of training then that's what we do, regardless of what they can do at home.
In addition, a lot of people need the example to teach them how to train at home. Not everyone needs this, some people have already developed those skills, but a lot do. They need someone to guide them through the process of putting in a challenging workout. Then they can use that example to keep doing it on their own, and learn to develop their own creativity with it. This goes for both the martial technique and drills portion, and the conditioning/strength training aspects.

This doesn’t happen after one session. It happens after the habit has been instilled by a teacher, over time and repetition. But the students need to be paying attention to that process. I am always amazed when a teacher needs to be absent for a class and puts a student in charge who has been training for a few years, and that student is unable to string together a coherent and challenging training session for the others. They haven’t been paying attention to what goes on. They turn their brain off and simply follow the leader, without really learning anything. Gotta internalize the lessons and take ownership of the training.