I'm starting Kickboxing today!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on how the facility is run.
As a school with specific classes and curriculum.
As a school with an open and on going training schedule. (everyone in the class gets the same material but a different levels)
As a gym with a coach giving a workout of the day instruction, or just open training where individuals work on different things.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think my problem was watching a karate class a few days before. That class was like a well oiled machine. Not a fan though.

Sent using Tapatalk

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I didn't mean it that way. It was more that the teacher didn't really give us any excercises. The student made them up as the class went on. I suppose that's what he did when he began training.
I don't dislike the idea. If it works, I would consider it disorganised only in appearance. Additionally, perhaps other classes are more guided (by the instructor). Let us know the evolution of your feeling. And skill. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I didn't mean it that way. It was more that the teacher didn't really give us any excercises. The student made them up as the class went on. I suppose that's what he did when he began training.
Ah, it may actually be that this is how the instructor grooms new instructor candidates. This isn't unusual in some arts. And some instructors have students who turn out to be good at introducing the early concepts, so they turn them loose with new students. I was that person for teaching strikes at one time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, it may actually be that this is how the instructor grooms new instructor candidates. This isn't unusual in some arts. And some instructors have students who turn out to be good at introducing the early concepts, so they turn them loose with new students. I was that person for teaching strikes at one time.

Same. I'm not currently an instructor, but at one point I accidentally fell into the position of teaching striking at a school. The instructor would have me teach newer students and come by to check in and give both of us tips (me on teaching him on the material), until it evolved into me teaching strikes at the school.

I say I accidentally fell into the position, but this is making me think it wasn't an accident at all.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Or it could just be that senior guys are expected to show the less experienced the basics while the head trainer just observes and correct problems.

Kind of a pay it forward type idea of someone showed you the basics...now its time for you step up and do the same.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from sparring with the teacher. Boy I suck. You guys should have seen me. But it's a pretty good experience. It really boosts your confidence and relaxes you as it goes on. This gym is a keeper [emoji14]

Sent using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got back from sparring with the teacher. Boy I suck. You guys should have seen me. But it's a pretty good experience. It really boosts your confidence and relaxes you as it goes on. This gym is a keeper [emoji14]

Sent using Tapatalk
Can you explain to me how it was a confidence booster? Normally that would wreck my confidence and I would end up obsessing over what I'm failing at.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you explain to me how it was a confidence booster? Normally that would wreck my confidence and I would end up obsessing over what I'm failing at.
Well, I already knew I would fail horribly. It helped me loosen up, mainly loose the fear of fighting and get comfortable in the ring.

I mean the teacher beat me up, it's no big deal, I knew that would happen. And it was fun too :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I already knew I would fail horribly. It helped me loosen up, mainly loose the fear of fighting and get comfortable in the ring.

I mean the teacher beat me up, it's no big deal, I knew that would happen. And it was fun too :)

Sent using Tapatalk
Maybe I'm just too competitive. I could enter a BJJ gym and face the instructor, or even a purple belt (heck, probably a blue belt too). I would probably get tapped six times a minute. I fully know that would happen, but I would still end up frustrated, which would cause me to obsess over it once it happened and do nothing but grappling for months.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You missed this one ^

Disorganized doesn't mean "not private". I went to a couple Karate classes before and the excercises were well defined and the teams too. This class was more like a couple of groups throwing controlled punches at each other.

That tends to be more how a fight school works.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just too competitive. I could enter a BJJ gym and face the instructor, or even a purple belt (heck, probably a blue belt too). I would probably get tapped six times a minute. I fully know that would happen, but I would still end up frustrated, which would cause me to obsess over it once it happened and do nothing but grappling for months.
I'm not sure if that's healthy [emoji14]

It'll definitely make you improve fast though.

Sent using Tapatalk