I'm starting Kickboxing today!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. Sometimes it's sad that the story is so unclear when it comes to ancient martial arts.
Kickboxing is older than me, that is sure. So I couldn't witness its origins... But it still is one of the most recent styles, isn't it?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also have to say do you actually want to do kickboxing because it seems like from your post it's one of your last options. I only ask because if it's not something you really want to do you may not enjoy it as much be she you're thinking about the styles you want to do and thinking those would be better.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kickboxing is older than me, that is sure. So I couldn't witness its origins... But it still is one of the most recent styles, isn't it?
I may be totally wrong here but wasn't kickboxing mainly started by joe Lewis when he left the point karate scene. I know he was one of the first western kickboxers

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also have to say do you actually want to do kickboxing because it seems like from your post it's one of your last options. I only ask because if it's not something you really want to do you may not enjoy it as much be she you're thinking about the styles you want to do and thinking those would be better.
I actually had many options:
1-Ninjutsu
2-Hapkido or another hybrid art, like Kajukembo, Bartitsu or JKD
3-Muay Thai or some ground fighting style.
4-Anything that's accessible.

Everything else is like 30 minutes away. I don't like Taekwondo or Karate so this is my only option. It'll have to do for now. I like it though, I just wanted something more balanced, maybe even with weapons.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I may be totally wrong here but wasn't kickboxing mainly started by joe Lewis when he left the point karate scene. I know he was one of the first western kickboxers
I remember these names:
It is called Full-Contact Karate, or just Full-Contact for short. "Karate with boxing gloves." For me it is American Kickboxing, and it is kickboxing after several sources. But...
"Closely related to American Kickboxing", after Wiki. I don't know the difference. :)

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations - enjoy it, learn a lot, and be prepared to learn how much you suck at things that look easy (we all had to learn that one).

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations - enjoy it, learn a lot, and be prepared to learn how much you suck at things that look easy (we all had to learn that one).

Damn I do suck... Seemed... So easy... LOL.

A few thoughts on the dojo...

The structure seemed way too disorganized, so did the class. It was mostly me and a more advanced student teaching me(stance, punches, etc.), and the teacher occasionally swinging by and correcting my mistakes, and giving me one or two guidelines. I don't know if that's good or not but that's what happened. What do you guys think?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The structure seemed way too disorganized, so did the class. It was mostly me and a more advanced student teaching me(stance, punches, etc.), and the teacher occasionally swinging by and correcting my mistakes, and giving me one or two guidelines. I don't know if that's good or not but that's what happened. What do you guys think?
That's not unusual. New students need a lot of attention, and the instructor has a whole class to deal with. It's not uncommon to assign an experienced student to help get a new student started.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's not unusual. New students need a lot of attention, and the instructor has a whole class to deal with. It's not uncommon to assign an experienced student to help get a new student started.

Yes I didn't mean it that way. It was more that the teacher didn't really give us any excercises. The student made them up as the class went on. I suppose that's what he did when he began training.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why are there no elbows there? Doesn't kickboxing have elbows?

In "San Shou" or Chinese Kickboxing, you can strike in most places, and elbows and knees are allowed. The only stipulation is that if you get your opponent into a clinch you have 5 seconds to perform a takedown, throw or sweep on them before the referee steps in to break you up. The list of illegal techniques are as follows:
  • Biting.
  • Head Butts.
  • Joint Attacks.
  • Holding and Hitting.
  • Open Hand Strikes.
  • Strikes to the Groin.
  • Strikes to the Knees.
  • Kicks or Punches to the Spine.
  • Throws that involve Joint Manipulation.
  • Kicks or Punches to the back of the Head.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's not disorganised at all. If it was disorganised you'd have had no one teaching you and you'd be left to your own devices but the instructor got someone to work with you and helped you. Plus the head instructor did pay attention to you. If you wanted to work with the instructor the whole class you need to book a private lesson. Just don't forget it's not all about you he's got other people to teach as well. There's not a single martial art club where you get exclusive training with only the instructor you'll almost get some lessons with a senior student.

So apart from that what else was supposedly disorganised

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In "San Shou" or Chinese Kickboxing, you can strike in most places, and elbows and knees are allowed. The only stipulation is that if you get your opponent into a clinch you have 5 seconds to perform a takedown, throw or sweep on them before the referee steps in to break you up. The list of illegal techniques are as follows:
  • Biting.
  • Head Butts.
  • Joint Attacks.
  • Holding and Hitting.
  • Open Hand Strikes.
  • Strikes to the Groin.
  • Strikes to the Knees.
  • Kicks or Punches to the Spine.
  • Throws that involve Joint Manipulation.
  • Kicks or Punches to the back of the Head.
Damm it those are my best moves lol

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's not disorganised at all. If it was disorganised you'd have had no one teaching you and you'd be left to your own devices but the instructor got someone to work with you and helped you. Plus the head instructor did pay attention to you. If you wanted to work with the instructor the whole class you need to book a private lesson. Just don't forget it's not all about you he's got other people to teach as well. There's not a single martial art club where you get exclusive training with only the instructor you'll almost get some lessons with a senior student.

So apart from that what else was supposedly disorganised

Yes I didn't mean it that way. It was more that the teacher didn't really give us any excercises. The student made them up as the class went on. I suppose that's what he did when he began training.
You missed this one ^

Disorganized doesn't mean "not private". I went to a couple Karate classes before and the excercises were well defined and the teams too. This class was more like a couple of groups throwing controlled punches at each other.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You missed this one ^

Disorganized doesn't mean "not private". I went to a couple Karate classes before and the excercises were well defined and the teams too. This class was more like a couple of groups throwing controlled punches at each other.
Well kickboxing is a different sport. It's not going to be the same. Why don't you tell us exactly how the class went down

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't kickboxing based on MT, Karate and Boxing? That's what Wikipedia says at least.

Sort of. It's actually a result of one Joe Lewis' (known by many as the father of American kickboxing) desire to ramp point karate matches to the next level. Google him, there is some good action/interview footage worth watching.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well kickboxing is a different sport. It's not going to be the same. Why don't you tell us exactly how the class went down
Ok, I'll try.

We started by greeting the teacher, then we jogged a bit to warm up, we did some crunches and push-ups, and then I was teamed up with this student, and the teacher told him to practice some basic excercises with me (the thing that surprised me is that he didn't tell him which ones), and then the teacher started walking around the dojo, and giving us tips and helping us. In fact he was very helpful and he even "sparred" with me for a few seconds as a demonstration. So lack of attention was not my issue. It was mostly that he didn't tell this student what to teach me (the student wasn't super advanced either), and it looks like he was making stuff up as we went. After that he gave us a few final tips and invited us to spar with him tomorrow (today).

Apparently they do this thing every Thursday and Tuesday, where he spars with every student that shows up for a couple of minutes, which I find very cool. Obviously it's not a real fight and there is no head punching or a lot of kicking.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try.

We started by greeting the teacher, then we jogged a bit to warm up, we did some crunches and push-ups, and then I was teamed up with this student, and the teacher told him to practice some basic excercises with me (the thing that surprised me is that he didn't tell him which ones), and then the teacher started walking around the dojo, and giving us tips and helping us. In fact he was very helpful and he even "sparred" with me for a few seconds as a demonstration. So lack of attention was not my issue. It was mostly that he didn't tell this student what to teach me (the student wasn't super advanced either), and it looks like he was making stuff up as we went. After that he gave us a few final tips and invited us to spar with him tomorrow (today).

Apparently they do this thing every Thursday and Tuesday, where he spars with every student that shows up for a couple of minutes, which I find very cool. Obviously it's not a real fight and there is no head punching or a lot of kicking.
Well there sounds nothing with that at all and you'd get the same in any kickboxing gym. Like I said kickboxing only has basic moves so it's not hard to show a beginner the basics. Frankly I've seen way worse than that at least you got tips from your instructor some places you don't get anything.

That sounds like a good gym to be honest and frankly I don't think you'd find much better anywhere

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well there sounds nothing with that at all and you'd get the same in any kickboxing gym. Like I said kickboxing only has basic moves so it's not hard to show a beginner the basics. Frankly I've seen way worse than that at least you got tips from your instructor some places you don't get anything.

That sounds like a good gym to be honest and frankly I don't think you'd find much better anywhere
Cool. That's reassuring. Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool. That's reassuring. Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk
At the end of the day look at this way did you leave learning something you didn't know when you came in. If the answers yes then it was a good session

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Much like a boxing gymn. Most of the regulars know "the basics" to show a newcomer and wouldn't need the instructor to give specifics on what to work on for a newcomer.

Latest Discussions