I'm new here!

K

Karate Teen

Hi there. I am new to this board. Does anyone here take shito-ryu?

OP
K

Karate Teen

Thanks! What belts are you? I am a green belt 2-stripe. I am hoping to pick up self-defense tips and kata/bunkai info.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yari
Dont do karate, but wanted to say welcome!

/Yari

For a moment there I actually thought you were telling them not to do karate....

Anyway

I don't do karate either, but hey, we're all different. Welcome to the boards

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aegis
For a moment there I actually thought you were telling them not to do karate....

Anyway

I don't do karate either, but hey, we're all different. Welcome to the boards

Ops, didn't see that!

Your right! I'm not telling you not to do karate. Just didn't write it correctly, sorry!

/Yari

Gama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Karate Teen
Thanks! What belts are you? I am a green belt 2-stripe. I am hoping to pick up self-defense tips and kata/bunkai info.

I am a green belt, but I also have a shodan in shotokan.

LB_Karateka

White Belt
Reaction score
i made it to 1st-kyu. but i haven't been to the dojo in quite some time. i try to train as much as i can though, either with my peers or by myself.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Karate Teen
Hi there. I am new to this board. Does anyone here take shito-ryu?

Welcome aboard! I'm a Taekwondo practitioner, never studied shito-ryu but I just wanted to put out the welcome mat for ya. By the way, I seriously considering cross-training in Shotokan... :asian:

Gama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
By the way, I seriously considering cross-training in Shotokan... :asian:

Go for it. Don't expect to be doing all the flash kicks you're used to doing though. Shotokan uses a lot more hand techniques, and simpler kicks. Only problem you might have is one that I am having at the moment. The kata I have been doing are so close to the shotokan ones, I sometimes find myself doing the wrong one. Mainly with Naihanchi shodan/ Tekki shodan. Depends which of the TKD forms you use.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gama
Go for it. Don't expect to be doing all the flash kicks you're used to doing though. Shotokan uses a lot more hand techniques, and simpler kicks. Only problem you might have is one that I am having at the moment. The kata I have been doing are so close to the shotokan ones, I sometimes find myself doing the wrong one. Mainly with Naihanchi shodan/ Tekki shodan. Depends which of the TKD forms you use.

Thanks, I'm certain I'll start within a few weeks. TKD received much influence from Shotokan, and I do need much more work on my hand techniques, so that's why I chose to cross-train in Shotokan karate... :asian:

OP
K

Karate Teen

Well, thank you all for your replies. I look forward to getting into the discussions!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome. I don't do shito-ryu but I worked with a guy once that does.....
:D
--Dave