I'm new here

• Thread starter Loren W. Christensen
  • Start date

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I admit with all honesty, I had never heard of you, sir, or you books. But with all these glowing recommendations I may have to look into them. Always room for more on the shelves.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Found this thread late....welcome aboard. I have thoroughly enjoyed your various books!

OP
V

Vadim

Hi Loren! Welcome to Martial Talk forums. :asian:

-Vadim

OP
L

Loren W. Christensen

Vadim said:
Hi Loren! Welcome to Martial Talk forums. :asian:

-Vadim
Thank you, sir.

Glad to see a police officer combining weight training and martial arts. Where do you work?

Loren
www.lwcbooks.com

OP
C

captnigh

Man. This is too wild. I just bought Fighter's Fact Book yesterday, was reading it, put it down to check out Martial Talk, and at the top I see a post by the author. Crazy, man, crazy.
I am really enjoying your book, Loren. I have read up to the sparring tips, so I've still got a ways to go, but I've already found some stuff I am going to try in my own workouts. Also, you write with a sense of humor, and I like that. Makes for a smooth read.
Well, awesome. Only on Martial Talk. Have a good one.....

OP
L

Loren W. Christensen

captnigh said:
Man. This is too wild. I just bought Fighter's Fact Book yesterday, was reading it, put it down to check out Martial Talk, and at the top I see a post by the author. Crazy, man, crazy.
I am really enjoying your book, Loren. I have read up to the sparring tips, so I've still got a ways to go, but I've already found some stuff I am going to try in my own workouts. Also, you write with a sense of humor, and I like that. Makes for a smooth read.
Well, awesome. Only on Martial Talk. Have a good one.....
Captnigh,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the book and I'm very pleased that you're benefiting from it. Keep training!

Loren
www.lwcbooks.com

OP
C

captnigh

After I'm done with 'Fact Book, I'll check out some of your other books.
If I may ask-
What style(s) jujutsu have you trained in?

OP
L

Loren W. Christensen

captnigh said:
After I'm done with 'Fact Book, I'll check out some of your other books.
If I may ask-
What style(s) jujutsu have you trained in?
I'm ranked in Aiki jujitsu. My teacher is Tim Delgman who is based in San Franciso. He was just promoted to 9th dan and is soke of the system. He allowed me to modify and tweak stuff to make it better fit the street.

I also steal techniques from wherever.

And you?

Loren
www.lwcbooks.com

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As one of the few librarians who practice martial artists, you can only imagine the size of my martial arts book collection. Of course, many of my favorites are written by Mr. Loren Christensen. He's also an excellent editor.

Loren,

You did a great job on "Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, And Honor." I am impressed with the variety and quality of warriors that are included. I received my copy as a Christmas present. Not only did I thank the person who got it for me, but I also have to say thank you to you.

Take care,
Andrew

OP
L

Loren W. Christensen

Andrew Evans said:
As one of the few librarians who practice martial artists, you can only imagine the size of my martial arts book collection. Of course, many of my favorites are written by Mr. Loren Christensen. He's also an excellent editor.

Loren,

You did a great job on "Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, And Honor." I am impressed with the variety and quality of warriors that are included. I received my copy as a Christmas present. Not only did I thank the person who got it for me, but I also have to say thank you to you.

Take care,
Andrew
Andrew,

Thanks so much for your kind words. 'Warriors' was a treat to write and edit. Everything just fell into place and I ended up with some of the top warriors in the military, law enforcement and the martial arts, all humble men and women who have been there and done that. For example, all voted to not use their titles - sergeant, general, world champion, master, and so on - with their name. These guys didn't feel a need to impress anyone.

Thanks again,

Loren
www.lwcbooks.com

OP
C

captnigh

Loren-
Jujutsu. Mostly stand-up stuff, but I've been working on my groundfighting. I also have been working out with some kickboxing stuff. Having fun, getting a good cardio workout.
It's been cool chatting with you. I look forward to reading some of your other books after I'm done with Fighter's Fact Book.
Take care.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
My curiousity is officially sparked.

What exactly are you doing with tangerines and melons?

I am putting two and two together here, but spell it out for me... :)

Well since Loren isn't biting.....

In his video Vital Targets he shows some ways of using fruit to simulate the eyes and such for target training. They are not as hard as most bags (as are the targets being simulated), and can be attached to the body for some sickenly realistic training.

Please no Monty Python jokes about "what if he has a pointy stick?"

And since you Tulisan are a fan of Animal MacYoung, you should know that Loren's book The Fighter's Fact Book has a sparring drill by MacYoung that appears in no other source.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Well since Loren isn't biting.....

In his video Vital Targets he shows some ways of using fruit to simulate the eyes and such for target training. They are not as hard as most bags (as are the targets being simulated), and can be attached to the body for some sickenly realistic training.

Please no Monty Python jokes about "what if he has a pointy stick?"

And since you Tulisan are a fan of Animal MacYoung, you should know that Loren's book The Fighter's Fact Book has a sparring drill by MacYoung that appears in no other source.

Cool man, thanks for the intel.

OP
L

Loren W. Christensen

Originally Posted by Tulisan

My curiousity is officially sparked.

What exactly are you doing with tangerines and melons?

I am putting two and two together here, but spell it out for me...

Sorry, I missed your question.

It’s difficult for most people to thrust their fingers into the soft goo that is the eyeball and swish the fingers around in the socket as if it were a swizzle stick in a cocktail. There is a psychological ‘catch’ that stops most from doing it. I’ve even had students tell me that no matter what someone was doing to them that they would still have problems going for the eyes.

One device that helps you overcome this mind glitch is to practice ramming your fingers into fruit. A cantaloupe, for example feels pretty close to an eye (minus the seeds). In the video Vital Targets, Idemonstrate on a helpless cantaloupe in which I’ve carved two eye holes. I rapidly thrust my fingers into the holes over and over making a squishy sound and causing juice and pulp to fly all over. That gives you the feel of gouging eyes.

Next, knife master Mike Janich, puts on a pair of eye goggles and lies on the floor holding two peeled oranges against his eye sockets. I drop over him and madly ram my thumbs into his eyes (oranges) as he screams, withes and kicks, just as a real victim would do. The blood (juice) flies all over and the sound is horrific. That conditions you to the victim’s reactions.

While it’s fun to do, its real purpose is to desensitize you to the feel, sound and emotions involved in gouging someone’s eyes with extreme prejudice.

It’s a concept used by Army Special Forces.

Loren

www.lwcbooks.com

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I said I would and I did...

I was perusing the a local book store and they had a copy of Fighter's Fact Book, bought it will work my way through it as soon as possible...good having you on the board

OP
S

scorpio

Hello,
I am brand new to the site. It looks pretty cool!
What a surprise to find Mr. Christensen on the site, as I have just finished his book on solo training. I picked up some really good training tips and enjoyed the sense of humor t/o the book as well.

Latest Discussions