I'm nervous about starting doing Taekwondo.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
??? Not asking for anything proprietary, just wondering what drills you do as a comparison.

I don't really know how I can explain it other than that. Sparring club is drills that focus on the rules of WT sparring - kick or be kicked. It focuses on the type of footwork and techniques you would use for that game.

This differs from the style of technique used in the forms, and from the self defense drills we use for when someone punches you or grabs you. We still do the sparring and sparring drills in the regular class, but it's maybe 15-25% of our class time, as opposed to sparring club which is 100%.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't really know how I can explain it other than that. Sparring club is drills that focus on the rules of WT sparring - kick or be kicked. It focuses on the type of footwork and techniques you would use for that game.

This differs from the style of technique used in the forms, and from the self defense drills we use for when someone punches you or grabs you. We still do the sparring and sparring drills in the regular class, but it's maybe 15-25% of our class time, as opposed to sparring club which is 100%.
I understand this. What I am asking is what are some of the drills you do? Do you know the names of some of your drills?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello! I've recently started looking for a new hobby/activity and I started getting interested in Taekwondo and would like to start practicing it but I'm nervous about it. I talked to the gym I would attend and they said i'm more than welcome as a beginner but I suppose they say that to every potential new member. I really want to try it but most of the people (and friends) say that it is really really hard and not made for people that are not flexible and that it would be close to impossible for me to get good at it. I know it's hard but people make it seem impossible to follow if u didn't start as a child. I'm 20 and not flexible at all and that's what's holding me back. I'm nervous going to this class as a total newbie who's the opposite of flexible. Do u have tips for me? Like should I do some exercises at home for a while before going to that gym or maybe stories that will motivate me? I really want to do this.
Thanks!
Twenty is quite a fine age to start. I started just 6-12 months ago, I'm sixteen, and honestly flexibility is the last thing to worry about at your age. You can easily gain flexibility enough to do box splits, if you do a routine for 3 months. Although I may have had advantage in experience, it's not that hard for you to get into it, if you're genuinely interested in it! Age is not a factor, there's many renowned teaches across the world that can kick up to their heard at around 70 or 80 years of age. Go for it man, this whole community is behind you!