I'm loving Judo so far!

Reaction score
Title says it all. Ipponed a legit brown belt twice last week. I'm one week in and choosing Judo has been the best decision I have ever made. My sensei says I'm a natural. 100 kg division I'm on the hunt.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah that's bs you did not ipon any brown belt who's worth anything or maybe he let you for confidence but there's no way you did

OP
BmillerWarrior
Reaction score
Yeah that's bs you did not ipon any brown belt who's worth anything or maybe he let you for confidence but there's no way you did
Did it twice during randori. Fortunately for me I have tremendous balance from my past mma experience. My osotogari and uchi mata are natural. I could care less whether you believe it or not. Carry on with your fake martial arts bs fellah.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did it twice during randori. Fortunately for me I have tremendous balance from my past mma experience. My osotogari and uchi mata are natural. I could care less whether you believe it or not. Carry on with your fake martial arts bs fellah.
Course you did lol

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Title says it all. Ipponed a legit brown belt twice last week. I'm one week in and choosing Judo has been the best decision I have ever made. My sensei says I'm a natural. 100 kg division I'm on the hunt.

There's a lot to gain from Judo, humility is one of them.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
@BmillerWarrior While I also have doubts about you being able to take down what we would normally expect of a brown belt, I would say if whatever the circumstances, it helps you stay and train harder, good. Just don't be surprised if training starts to get more difficult and it becomes more difficult take down senior belts. Rather, take such circumstances as chances to learn.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll let newbies score on me in sparring, too. A goal when sparring with people with significantly less training and experience is to hold back and spar at THEIR level.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Keep it civil, and on-topic. There are plenty of ways to debate that don't involve rudeness and the issuance of warning points.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll let newbies score on me in sparring, too. A goal when sparring with people with significantly less training and experience is to hold back and spar at THEIR level.
That can be a double edged sword. It can give confidence or it can give arrogance

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Judo is a wonderful sport. It offers fitness, recreation and an opportunity to challenge yourself. Keep training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That can be a double edged sword. It can give confidence or it can give arrogance

For my part, I make it clear that I intend to spar at their level. I tell them flat out that I won't be doing things they've not been taught, and that if they properly execute the things they have been taught, they WILL hit me.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They must be. There is no way you were taught uchi mata in your first weeks of judo. Surprised your sensei didn't insist you stick to techniques in your belt level.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if they properly execute the things they have been taught, they WILL hit me.
For the striking art, this may be true. For the throwing art, this will never happen. You may have a lucky punch. But you will never have a luck throw.

My teacher always told me, "Anything that I have taught you, it won't work on me." I asked, "why?" He said, "Because I have more ability than you have". In MA, the technique is only the 50%. The other 50% is the ability.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no way you were taught uchi mata in your first weeks of judo.
Agree! The "leg lifting" throw require

- single leg balance,
- leg flexibility,
- leg lift power.

It require a lot of training time to develop this throwing skill. It may be one of the most difficult throws to develop.

leg_lift_1.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the striking art, this may be true. For the throwing art, this will never happen. You may have a lucky punch. But you will never have a luck throw.

If they're executing properly, luck has nothing to do with it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

My teacher always told me, "Anything that I have taught you, it won't work on me." I asked, "why?" He said, "Because I have more ability than you have". In MA, the technique is only the 50%. The other 50% is the ability.

I think I understand what you are trying to say, and can agree to an extent. However, if ability is 50%, many of us martial artists may be in trouble. Ability is not always understood to be something we can acquire (granted it is sometimes used that way). Learning a technique is. But at the same time, I understand your teacher trying to explain to you that due to his experience and training, which was much more extensive than yours, you could not to anything to him that he didn't feel like letting you do.

And I think that is what Dirty Dog is trying to say. If they execute properly, he will allow them to strike him. If not, due to his skills and experience, he will defended in a way they cannot hit him. @Dirty Dog If I have stated that incorrectly, please correct me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And I think that is what Dirty Dog is trying to say. If they execute properly, he will allow them to strike him. If not, due to his skills and experience, he will defended in a way they cannot hit him. @Dirty Dog If I have stated that incorrectly, please correct me.

You're exactly right. I do my best to spar a yellow belt using only the skills (and skill level) of a yellow belt.
For example... yellow belts pretty much all telegraph every move 5-7 days in advance. But another yellow belt wouldn't notice. So I ignore it.
or... I'll shift my guard to create a large opening for a specific attack I want them to execute. If they execute that attack, I'll let it hit. Even if they do telegraph it for days. I slow down my own attacks and telegraph them (although I try to limit that to 2-3 days...). Giving them a yellow belts chance to defend appropriately.

As I said, I make it clear to the student exactly what I'm doing. And I expect senior students to do the same thing when they're paired with someone of significantly less training or experience. Sometimes, at least. There are certainly good reasons to show them what COULD be done. Sometimes as a way to counter their mistaken belief that they're some sort of prodigy. Sometimes as a way to give them goals to strive for.

But routinely pummeling an inexperienced opponent doesn't really teach them anything useful.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a big difference between the sparring and wrestling. In sparring, you want to knock down your opponent. In wrestling, you want to take down your opponent.

If you are not doing full contact sparring and just do point sparring, it's easy to have a luck shot for a Karate white belt to hit on a Karate black belt. On the wrestling mat, it's very difficult for a Judo white belt to throw a Judo black belt.

What's the difference here? The experience and ability used the wrestling art is more important than experience and ability used in the striking art. I have seen wrestlers who has never lost on the mat and retired with a clean winning record. I have never seen any striker who has never lost in the ring.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions