I'm fat now

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
year, its conversation I KEEP having with my sister, who has been doing the 5 k challenge, so no really " strength" work, after some impressive weight loss in the first couple of months or so, her weights has been staying stubbornly static, whilst the fat is clearly melting a way, and her muscle tone is improving tremendously.

it doesn't matter how often I tell her how slim she looks and how the muscles are bigger and storing more glucose and water and she has increased the amount of blood in her system, the "scales don't lie" and sh is getting discouraged that's despite the more obvious evidence that she has dad to buy new clothes in a smaller size. it's a very ingrained belief
I've seen that before. Sometimes a good before-and-after pic set helps, but sometimes it's a skewed body image.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can you not crave pizza? There is never a wrong time to eat pizza. Heck! I could eat pizza every day and still crave it the next day.

It won't be easy getting back in shape but I wish you luck in your pursuit

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How can you not crave pizza? There is never a wrong time to eat pizza. Heck! I could eat pizza every day and still crave it the next day.

It won't be easy getting back in shape but I wish you luck in your pursuit
there nothing at all wrong with eating pizza, whilst losing weight, it has all your food groups in , if you throw a salary in,just perhaps not a thick crust,16" one to yourself.

washed down with two pints of coke
it's part of the considered healthy mederainian diet
this is what I mean about diets not being about deprivation, rather portion control

Last edited:
OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On another tangent maybe but how do you motivate to train when you have a super stressfull day? I had one today and ended up staying late at work. So I missed class anyway but when I have a bad day I just want to drink beer and eat pizza. :nailbiting: It's weird because my head tells me not to go but when I go I always have a great time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On another tangent maybe but how do you motivate to train when you have a super stressfull day? I had one today and ended up staying late at work. So I missed class anyway but when I have a bad day I just want to drink beer and eat pizza. :nailbiting: It's weird because my head tells me not to go but when I go I always have a great time.
drink less beer abmbd eAt less pizza, that's easy

one day doesn't matter, and fitness / weight loss can be achieved in 5 mins a day with out leaving your living room, can you find the motorvation to do that before you go for beer and pizza

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jobo makes a good point. You can do real exercise in a short period of time. I have 3 different full-body routines I can do quickly (2 kettlebell for home, one TRX for hotel rooms). I think the longest is a total of about 20 minutes with warm-up and stretching, unless I really want to push it and double the circuit, then it's 30 minutes. The shortest is about 7 or 8 minutes.

As for dealing with the craving, there's some science we can leverage for improving self-control. First, work on delaying. If you use exercise to delay (back to Jobo's suggestion) you get 3 benefits:
  1. You're exercising, so you're not skipping your exercise to give in to the craving.
  2. You're delaying the craving, and that delay is a step toward having better control on it (a 5-minute delay for any craving is a suggested starting point - make it longer each week, to keep developing more control).
  3. Sometimes a delay is all it takes to kill a craving, so even a few minutes' delay might get you past it entirely, some days.
Self-control is a skill that acts like a muscle, meaning as it develops, it can do more work with less perceived effort. So, working on self-control (even in small ways) makes it easier to deal with cravings and such.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's not cravings. I don't get them. I'd just rather do something easy when I'm stressed.

It's getting into the idea that I can actually do something positive. Rather than eat, drink and sleep.

Today. I had a stressfull day, so what is easier for someone going a bit mental? Go train where some things might seem difficult? Or go for a beer and relax.

The thing is when I go and train I have a great time. But just before I go I get it into my head that it will be a terrible time.

Does this make sense?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not cravings. I don't get them. I'd just rather do something easy when I'm stressed.

It's getting into the idea that I can actually do something positive. Rather than eat, drink and sleep.

Today. I had a stressfull day, so what is easier for someone going a bit mental? Go train where some things might seem difficult? Or go for a beer and relax.

The thing is when I go and train I have a great time. But just before I go I get it into my head that it will be a terrible time.

Does this make sense?
just to add to Gerry's thing, alcohol and sugar in beer and complex carbs all have a feel good effect, which is why you want them when your stressed, if you call ita craving or not, exercise also has a feel good eff CT, that more effective than any of them, which is why you should do it when stressed,
your less than a week into this and your already loosing motivation

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
just to add to Gerry's thing, alcohol and sugar in beer and complex carbs all have a feel good effect, which is why you want them when your stressed, if you call ita craving or not, exercise also has a feel good eff CT, that more effective than any of them, which is why you should do it when stressed,
your less than a week into this and your already loosing motivation

You're right. I'll give up now.

Actually, I just had a crappy day and leaving work 2 hours late meant I couldn't get to class.

Did I go drinking and munching? Nope.

I just was wondering how people feeling crappy motivate themselves.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Actually, I just had a crappy day and leaving work 2 hours late meant I couldn't get to class.

all of them that succeed,no one else can do it ( motivate )for you, offer advice and support, tell you your making excuses when your making excuses, other than that your on your own,
start slow build up, feel proud of yourself , feel good, get addicted to exercise, laugh at weak willed fat people as you walk by with your thin well muscled body

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get it, brother. I struggle with that, too. Do small stuff when you can’t get yourself to do big stuff.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
year, its conversation I KEEP having with my sister, who has been doing the 5 k challenge, so no really " strength" work, after some impressive weight loss in the first couple of months or so, her weights has been staying stubbornly static, whilst the fat is clearly melting a way, and her muscle tone is improving tremendously.

it doesn't matter how often I tell her how slim she looks and how the muscles are bigger and storing more glucose and water and she has increased the amount of blood in her system, the "scales don't lie" and sh is getting discouraged that's despite the more obvious evidence that she has dad to buy new clothes in a smaller size. it's a very ingrained belief and leads to very dysfunction eating habits,
Tell her most conscious men are more impressed at what's under the hood instead of just the paint job.:D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's an easy boat to get into as we age. Activity level often drops, we get busier (which can lead to more "convenience" eating), and some natural drop-off in metabolism.
A side question related to your comment. Does anyone on the forum have experience with metabolism/testosterone booster like ageless male or nugneix? I am thinking about trying nugenix.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A side question related to your comment. Does anyone on the forum have experience with metabolism/testosterone booster like ageless male or nugneix? I am thinking about trying nugenix.
I've done a tiny bit of research, and what I found suggests you'll get as much benefit from adding more ginger to your diet. My research was not thorough, so maybe someone will pitch in with more info.

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey @Rabbitthekitten! Greetings from another chunky martial artist. I started training roughly 6 months ago after 16ish years away from karate, and I weighed far more than you (and still do). I walked into the dojo at 340 pounds and I am presently 300. I still have a long way to go, but I've dropped over 10% of my body weight, which is pretty cool.

MA alone certainly hasn't gotten me this far. I do some walking and hiking too, but the most important thing is diet. As several people have said, pretty much any diet will work in the short term. The problem is sticking with it for the long term. I like my diet. It doesn't really cut out anything. I eat french fries and pizza when I want to. I also eat a lot of chicken breast and veggies.

Motivation is always a tricky thing. I'm pretty motivated to go to my karate classes even if I'm tired or feeling lousy (And honestly, that's a lot of the time). We're pretty much a karate family, and my absence would be noticed. Plus everybody is rooting for me on my weight loss journey. I also have an invitation to go for a plane ride in my instructor's two-person plane when I get down to a weight that's safe for the plane.

I also know that if I start slacking off, I'm going to really suffer in the classes I do go to. That's pretty motivating, because the first month or so going from couch potato to 3+ days of karate was rough. I don't want to regress! I'm not sure I have specific advice for motivation, but I will say that the longer you stick with your training routine, the easier it is to stay motivated.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey @Rabbitthekitten! Greetings from another chunky martial artist. I started training roughly 6 months ago after 16ish years away from karate, and I weighed far more than you (and still do). I walked into the dojo at 340 pounds and I am presently 300. I still have a long way to go, but I've dropped over 10% of my body weight, which is pretty cool.

MA alone certainly hasn't gotten me this far. I do some walking and hiking too, but the most important thing is diet. As several people have said, pretty much any diet will work in the short term. The problem is sticking with it for the long term. I like my diet. It doesn't really cut out anything. I eat french fries and pizza when I want to. I also eat a lot of chicken breast and veggies.

Motivation is always a tricky thing. I'm pretty motivated to go to my karate classes even if I'm tired or feeling lousy (And honestly, that's a lot of the time). We're pretty much a karate family, and my absence would be noticed. Plus everybody is rooting for me on my weight loss journey. I also have an invitation to go for a plane ride in my instructor's two-person plane when I get down to a weight that's safe for the plane.

I also know that if I start slacking off, I'm going to really suffer in the classes I do go to. That's pretty motivating, because the first month or so going from couch potato to 3+ days of karate was rough. I don't want to regress! I'm not sure I have specific advice for motivation, but I will say that the longer you stick with your training routine, the easier it is to stay motivated.

I like this post.

Training on Sunday's is routine now. I just need to nail the rest of the week. My school only does classes on Sunday so yeah.

Reading your post for reason it reminded me from when I was a kid that Hulk Hogan weighed 303 pounds. So you're less than him.

Also there is a journalist from Northern Ireland who I follow on Facebook At the start of the year he was about 22 stone which is just over 300 pounds I think. He dropped to 14 which is just under 200 pounds in six months by just cutting out food and doing cardio x3 times a week in the gym.

Also a politician here did similar, even managed to reverse his diabeties. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like this post.

Training on Sunday's is routine now. I just need to nail the rest of the week. My school only does classes on Sunday so yeah.

Reading your post for reason it reminded me from when I was a kid that Hulk Hogan weighed 303 pounds. So you're less than him.

Also there is a journalist from Northern Ireland who I follow on Facebook At the start of the year he was about 22 stone which is just over 300 pounds I think. He dropped to 14 which is just under 200 pounds in six months by just cutting out food and doing cardio x3 times a week in the gym.

Also a politician here did similar, even managed to reverse his diabeties. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

My best friend used to weigh about 350 pounds when we were teenagers. She moved to a different town our senior year and I didn't see her for about six months due to school, work schedules, etc. About six months later I finally got to see her and she had dropped 150+ pounds. She looked amazing, but she pretty much starved herself on probably less than 500 calories a day. I have no idea how she had the will power to torture herself like that, but she did. Of course, she ended up with a bunch of health issues for years, but she kept it off and she's healthy now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Does this make sense?

It is called the grind

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

40 lbs. - good work, man!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell her most conscious men are more impressed at what's under the hood instead of just the paint job.:D
she has been married for 35 years, her attractivness to other men isn't really a driving force, its health and being thinner than other women that's her motivation

Latest Discussions