I'm disgusted with UFC, MMA, and...

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...the media stuff about martial arts. So Ronda rousey was heartbroken cuz she didn't score gold in Oympic judo? Jesus, she scored bronze! The cup is half-full, not half-empty. Any real trainer doesn't tell you "you can be the best"..because, in life, there is no best....is there?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't really follow this. (I confuse easily) But, "disgusted with UFC, MMA"....what do you have against Martial Arts? It/they might not be your favorite Martial Art, but it's really some of many nice Martial Arts.

And they provide so much enjoyment for so many.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
...the media stuff about martial arts. So Ronda rousey was heartbroken cuz she didn't score gold in Oympic judo? Jesus, she scored bronze! The cup is half-full, not half-empty. Any real trainer doesn't tell you "you can be the best"..because, in life, there is no best....is there?

But you can be the best at that competition. I have zero problem with someone being disappointed because they didn't achieve something they literally worked their entire
lives toward.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But you can be the best at that competition. I have zero problem with someone being disappointed because they didn't achieve something they literally worked their entire
lives toward.
Me, too. I think that mindset is part of what it takes to be a top class competitor. I don't think it's useful to base success simply on results, but it's not surprising that someone would be disappointed in falling short of a goal, especially a goal like an Olympic gold medal. Opportunities to win those don't come around very often.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did not like Ronda nor her media coverage. But hey - I do like Holly Holm and her coverage. There are fighters of honor and integrity to admire in within the UFC. I suppose just like any major publicized competitive sport from boxing to football. Also one can find some real issues to dislike with large organizations as well - FIFA, NFL, UFC, etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another weird thread. I'm pretty sure Rousey has moved on from the 2008 Olympics, I'm positive it was a disappointment, competitors compete to be first, she wasn't but in the 8 years since she has had a lot to console her and if she is looking back I don't think she'd want to give even a bronze medal up now.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm probably the weird one. I don't watch any of the MMA-based competitions. I don't follow the competitors, etc. I know some of the names, you can't avoid hearing about them. But those kinds of events hold no interest for me.

I also tend not to watch television. Sometimes I watch anime. That's about it.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't really follow this. (I confuse easily) But, "disgusted with UFC, MMA"....what do you have against Martial Arts? It/they might not be your favorite Martial Art, but it's really some of many nice Martial Arts.

And they provide so much enjoyment for so many.
Yeah I'm confused to does this guy hate the fact the media covers it or the fact that she was disappointed

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any real trainer doesn't tell you "you can be the best"..because, in life, there is no best....is there?

Probably say "Keep your elbows up and chin protected" being a real trainer. Anyway, what is a real trainer? A cool Nike with a lost brethren maybe.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably the weird one. I don't watch any of the MMA-based competitions. I don't follow the competitors, etc. I know some of the names, you can't avoid hearing about them. But those kinds of events hold no interest for me.

I also tend not to watch television. Sometimes I watch anime. That's about it.

That's not weird, it's just personal choice. We all like different things. I enjoy watching sport on television, we have a huge range to watch from the winter sports like speed skating, cross country skiing and ski jumping to athletics, cricket, rugby, cycling, polo, eventing etc etc. Some sports like polo I can go to watch, the winter sports not so much. Just been watching the Invictus Games on television from Florida, absolutely thrilling and the Americans did everyone proud with the way they put it on. It was a privilege to watch and very humbling too.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a different mindset among the very top competitors. Legendary wrestler Dan Gable only lost one match in his entire career - but that one loss made him so upset that he was too ashamed to talk to his parents for weeks. I don't think that sort of outlook is emotionally healthy, but it's part of what gets those people to where they are. I don't have a hard time imagining that Rousey was upset at missing the gold even though a normal person would be thrilled just to qualify for the Olympics, let alone earn a medal.

I don't get what that has to do with the OP being disgusted at the UFC or MMA, though. It's just a background story about how she felt when she was doing judo, before she even thought about getting into MMA.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe there a country type attitude, or whatever term fits correctly. In Britain, athletes tend to have lower expectations other than those of say Linford or Sir Chris Hoy etc, among others like Sally Gunnell and Denise Lewis etc, they are pretty much the top level of what Britain could expect to take golds and silvers. The American teams always seem to be so drilled that gold is the only answer. Perhaps Rousey was expecting to take gold, which is no bad thing I suppose, but just have to be a bit more emotionally connected to the idea that there can always be someone better. Would like to see her in Rio, if that is still possible.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's a different mindset among the very top competitors. Legendary wrestler Dan Gable only lost one match in his entire career - but that one loss made him so upset that he was too ashamed to talk to his parents for weeks. I don't think that sort of outlook is emotionally healthy, but it's part of what gets those people to where they are. I don't have a hard time imagining that Rousey was upset at missing the gold even though a normal person would be thrilled just to qualify for the Olympics, let alone earn a medal.

I don't get what that has to do with the OP being disgusted at the UFC or MMA, though. It's just a background story about how she felt when she was doing judo, before she even thought about getting into MMA.

I just understand how fighters get so depressed after losing, alright you lost a match but guess what you also made millions for that I think a random person who works at McDonalds will kill for the chance to lose a fight and make millions.

I've lost competitions before and it never bothered me yeah it's frustrating but not depressing or embarrassing I just moved on and that's without making millions. If you would've given me millions for the loss I'd be very happy

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've lost competitions before and it never bothered me yeah it's frustrating but not depressing or embarrassing I just moved on and that's without making millions. If you would've given me millions for the loss I'd be very happy
Have you devoted your life to being the best at whatever you competed in, and did you believe before the loss that you genuinely were the best (in the competition, possibly in the world)?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just understand how fighters get so depressed after losing, alright you lost a match but guess what you also made millions for that I think a random person who works at McDonalds will kill for the chance to lose a fight and make millions.

For the record, the only fighters who make millions for a fight are a very small handful of high-profile boxing champions and contenders. Even most world champions don't earn that kind of payday unless they have the kind of following which generates huge pay-per-views. MMA fighters don't make that kind of money - even the top champions. Olympic wrestlers and judoka (like Gable and Rousey) don't get paid anything at all for their matches.

Latest Discussions