IKCA Karate Connection.

MonkFist

White Belt
Reaction score
Lots of stuff here. I'm on the run, so I'll just address two points.

Actually Bruce didn't know very much at all. What he had was incredible physical talent. Bruce began studying the arts as an extension of his dancing skills, to learn how to fight. he began Wing Chun training around the age of sixteen. By the age of nineteen he was a college student in Seattle Washington, and his own teacher. No one in the Traditional Chinese Community would deal with him because he was so cocky and somewhat disrespectful. So he bounced around learning what he could from established master like Ed Parker. When Bruce gave his famous demo at the IKC, he was 24 years old. Parker had been a black belt since 1953 in 4 different arts, studying since since he was 9, and had reputable teachers, and collaborators the entire time, including his original kenpo teacher, Kwai Sun, and Sijo Adriano Emperado.

Yes they can, if you have the knowledge that drives the physical attributes. I may be built like a linebacker, but that don't make me a great tackler.

Close. Maybe they don't know what they know as well.

"The more you know, the more you know." :)

Bruce liked to exchange ideas with many other martial artists; it isn't as though he sought Parker out to learn kenpo. In fact the way he came to know Ed was via a mutual friend.

And to set the record straight: Parker started martial arts training at age 12 in the art of judo. Bruce was introduced to Yip Man by William Cheung in 1954, making Bruce 14 when he started training in WC. According to Cheung, Bruce progressed so fast the the other WC "masters" became jealous of him (no doubt Bruce's cocky attitude had a lot to do with that) and looked for a way to force him out.
http://www.cheungswingchun.com/g/1472/the-bruce-lee-training-secret.html

"Sonny Emperado has unequivocally stated that the first time he met Ed Parker was when Ed was in the Coast Guard and trained with him for two weeks in 1952 before Ed Parker went to train with Professor Chow. "
http://kenpokarate.com/1949-1954.html

Furthermore, Parker was a 3rd degree black belt in 1961. Yet, four years later in 1965, he signed Mills Crenshaw's 4th degree rank certificate as having 9th degree rank.
http://kenpokarate.com/ikka.html

Parker must be the only man in the history of martial arts to magically climb 6 belt levels in only four years. Not even McDojo TKD schools offer that.

And in any case, at least Bruce didn't BS about his background, claiming that only he and he alone was shown secret techniques by his sifu, while other more prominant and higher ranked (and personal friends) of his sifu know nothing of these secret techniques. Kind of like some people have done with Kenpo since Ed Parker's death. :BSmeter:

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce liked to exchange ideas with many other martial artists; it isn't as though he sought Parker out to learn kenpo. In fact the way he came to know Ed was via a mutual friend.

And to set the record straight: Parker started martial arts training at age 12 in the art of judo. Bruce was introduced to Yip Man by William Cheung in 1954, making Bruce 14 when he started training in WC. According to Cheung, Bruce progressed so fast the the other WC "masters" became jealous of him (no doubt Bruce's cocky attitude had a lot to do with that) and looked for a way to force him out.
http://www.cheungswingchun.com/g/1472/the-bruce-lee-training-secret.html

"Sonny Emperado has unequivocally stated that the first time he met Ed Parker was when Ed was in the Coast Guard and trained with him for two weeks in 1952 before Ed Parker went to train with Professor Chow. "
http://kenpokarate.com/1949-1954.html

Furthermore, Parker was a 3rd degree black belt in 1961. Yet, four years later in 1965, he signed Mills Crenshaw's 4th degree rank certificate as having 9th degree rank.
http://kenpokarate.com/ikka.html

Parker must be the only man in the history of martial arts to magically climb 6 belt levels in only four years. Not even McDojo TKD schools offer that.

And in any case, at least Bruce didn't BS about his background, claiming that only he and he alone was shown secret techniques by his sifu, while other more prominant and higher ranked (and personal friends) of his sifu know nothing of these secret techniques. Kind of like some people have done with Kenpo since Ed Parker's death. :BSmeter:

Really do we have to divert this post into another one about 'facts' from Will Tracy? I (and I daresay a few others) simply don't find him credible. So, I find it ironic that you chose to use the 'BS Meter' while using him as your source.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
This should be entertaining.

Now I fully understand that I am, in all probability, feeding a troll. But here is the thing, I am forced to wonder at the agenda of a poster with a stunning post count of one, that appears t have joined with the purpose of firing off disrespectful comments at a long term member of the board(not to mention a personal student of Parker) and using as proof, content from a website authored by another person that has, in the past, demonstrated a grudge against Mr Parker. Looks a bit fishy to me.

So before we get very far into this, how about you tell us a bit more about who you are, if you please.

See, I know who Doc is. Hell, about nine years ago he set me straight on the use of Japanese titles in the martial arts world during a discussion on KenpoNet. He even talked me through a couple of long gun disarms a couple of years after that on the same forum that I used to teach my soldiers before I deployed to Iraq(techniques that saved one of their lives, I might add), and I've indirectly been exposed to some of the SL4 material and liked most of what I've gotted to work with.

Doc is the real deal. Now, I may not see eye to eye with him on everything pertaining to the martial arts(theres no way we could given that we are two different people and all) but I know who he is, his reputation, and chops are well established.

You not so much. I am curious, though. Have you met Bruce Lee? Dan Innosanto? Mike Pick? Chuck Sullivan? At the risk of offending any of the Tracy people here, whom I have the deepest respect for, are you affiliated with them? Or are you just parroting a bunch of marketing hype?

In any event, if you are going to engege in this sort of thing please tell us your name. Fill out your profile. Let us know that you opinion actually has weight behind it.

Otherwise you're just trolling.

Mark

P.S. SL4Drew types faster than me.

Latest Discussions