IKCA Karate Connection.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
:rofl: Good one. Not to change the subject, but what does Bruse Lee have to do with the IKCA. I know he knew SGM Parker, but it is really not on post.

Yes, but Ed Parker knew Bruce Lee...and knew more than Bruce Lee...

L

lonekimono10

for the man who wanted to know about power? have you ever hear of BUM?
BACK UP MASS, if you don't know what that is, just think of a train pulling alot of cars going real fast, than trying to stop,have you ever hear what that sounds like??
that,s power,it's the same in kenpo,i'll let somebody else commit.

Jagdish

Green Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
:rofl: Good one. Not to change the subject, but what does Bruse Lee have to do with the IKCA. I know he knew SGM Parker, but it is really not on post.

Jerry Poteet is the JKD instructor of Vic Le Roux.

Jagdish

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
So are you saying Bruce Lee wouldn't tap to an armbar? :ultracool
Well actually Ed Parker addressed that issue and Bruce agreed and sent a message to Parker in the movie Chinese Connection. The big Russian had Bruce down in an arm-bar and Bruce couldn't get out. Then the light came on and Bruce opened his mouth wide and bit down on his leg as hard as he could. The Russian released, let him go, and jumped up wide-eyed.

That was an in-joke between Parker and Bruce. Later that in-joke ran its course in the movie Enter The Dragon, when Bruce did the same lock on Sammo Hung, who instead of biting, tapped out. Bruce then stood up and schrugged his shoulders.

Bruce spent a short time with Wally Jay, who pronounced him a "nice kid, but don't know very much." Bruce was ultimately taught to grapple by Gene LeBell, and employed LeBell as the primary stunt man on the Green Hornet Series. LeBell has been doing stunts ever since, and still is.

I wish you guys would stop rattling my memory. :)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Doc. Actually, I was just making a joke...that since he was dead, he wouldn't be able to tap...some Kenpo people are soooo serious.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Thanks Doc. Actually, I was just making a joke...that since he was dead, he wouldn't be able to tap...some Kenpo people are soooo serious.
Actually I have to spit things out when I think of them or they could be gone forever. That's why old people seem to ramble. What were you saying? Was I through?

Jagdish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sir:

I think you should write a book! After reding your post i am more thirsty for more. LOL.

Thanks for your posts.

Jagdish

Doc said:
Well actually Ed Parker addressed that issue and Bruce agreed and sent a message to Parker in the movie Chinese Connection. The big Russian had Bruce down in an arm-bar and Bruce couldn't get out. Then the light came on and Bruce opened his mouth wide and bit down on his leg as hard as he could. The Russian released, let him go, and jumped up wide-eyed.

That was an in-joke between Parker and Bruce. Later that in-joke ran its course in the movie Enter The Dragon, when Bruce did the same lock on Sammo Hung, who instead of biting, tapped out. Bruce then stood up and schrugged his shoulders.

Bruce spent a short time with Wally Jay, who pronounced him a "nice kid, but don't know very much." Bruce was ultimately taught to grapple by Gene LeBell, and employed LeBell as the primary stunt man on the Green Hornet Series. LeBell has been doing stunts ever since, and still is.

I wish you guys would stop rattling my memory. :)

Jagdish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
No way! Not until after I've studied all the IKCA videos, UFC DVD's, and practiced all my Katas before a video camera! :rolleyes:

Don't forget to say that a spirit came in your dreams and taught you secret moves. :uhyeah: :lol: :D :cheers:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Parker, just like any instructor, will promote based upon what they saw in technique application. is there rule that the grading instructor must be standing within 10 feet of the student? and i beleive that each technique the student sends in to Sullivan must be performed on a partner. have you ever performed a technique on a non-martial artist in practice? they don't quite react the way you'd prefer them to, which in turn, makes it more difficult to execute that technique
I came accross this thread and checked it out (mainly because my last name happens to be Sullivan:)) and I just wanted to comment on this paragraph. Yes, a partner is required. According to their website http://www.karateconnection.com/, an allowance to perform the moves on a training dummy can be made, but that must be approved and according to the website, is not the norm.

Daniel

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I came accross this thread and checked it out (mainly because my last name happens to be Sullivan:)) and I just wanted to comment on this paragraph. Yes, a partner is required. According to their website http://www.karateconnection.com/, an allowance to perform the moves on a training dummy can be made, but that must be approved and according to the website, is not the norm.

Daniel

All the rationales in the world can be made to justify video training, unfortunately it is what it is.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I neither justify nor put down.

I was going to post a thread asking about Mr. Sullivan, as I read an article about him recently, but I figured I'd run a search, which is how I wound up here. Read all of it, beginning to end. An interesting read indeed.

Daniel

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
II'm trying to sneak in here before Old Fat sees me. Just want to say, after having my experience with the IKCA tapes, you probably don't want to get too many generations away from the material. I wrote them all out in the Tracy Format about 5 years ago, taking the moves and kata directly from the tapes (sometimes my life is a little boring...). Went back and found the written material just after Christmas, and couldn't really make heads or "tales" out of some of the techniques.

So, the answer probably is no. :angel:

Latest Discussions