IJF bans Judo athletes from participating in Bjj tournaments

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks... and wow. My initial reaction is to the lack of acknowledgement of the money, time and effort on the part of the judoka. They don't seem to like the renewed interest in Judo that MMA has inspired. They don't seem to like the renewed interest in newaza that BJJ has inspired. They don't seem to like the cross-pollenization between BJJ, Judo, Wrestling and MMA, in spite of the huge boon its been to Judo over the last 20 years. I really don't get it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Wow" is right. I feel so bad for the competitors. I understand what a tough place they're in, if that organization is the only, or best, game in town, then naturally they're going to want to compete in their tournaments, so they must abide by all rules.

But reading that whole statement - what a complete crock. But I now understand why most Judo gis are white. Easy to convert to a pointed hood with eye slits.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been in the arts a long time. I haven't heard anything that disappointing in a long while.

I'm sure it's a coincidence, but in all film and print media, ethnic barbs are taboo. Except for one - 47.0000° N, 2.0000° E., particularilly concerning their officials.

And the beat goes on....

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been in the arts a long time. I haven't heard anything that disappointing in a long while.

I'm sure it's a coincidence, but in all film and print media, ethnic barbs are taboo. Except for one - 47.0000° N, 2.0000° E., particularilly concerning their officials.

And the beat goes on....

Supposedly the IJF is creating some sort of cross-grappling sport that will include many of things banned in the Olympics.

I'll believe it when I see it.

What is interesting is how the IJF has completely missed the fact that MMA and Bjj has rekindled an interest in Judo worldwide.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Money, money, money. I'm just glad it's not the IBJJF doing this, but guys, if you don't think Carlos Gracie jr. would do this, you're nuts. It's about establishing a brand and marketing this brand as THE brand. The UFC did it to all of the competing MMA promotions and now the UFC is the premier brand for MMA. IBJJF did it for jiu jitsu. Carlos Gracie Jr. is really trying to make Gracie Barra the de facto standard for BJJ training.

My point is, I don't believe for a minute that any of these statements accurately reflect these guys' opinions regarding MMA and BJJ. Rather, it's messaging for a marketing strategy that is intended to rekindle interest and retain elite level athletes. It's a terrible strategy, IMO, but I believe that's all it is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read elsewhere the IJF is launching it's own promotion of professional fights, Gi with MMA type gloves by all accounts. So it makes sense that they would ban Judoka from competing in what will be a rival sport. They will need the fighters for themselves.
In the UK Judo has always been one of the most popular martial arts, has had a huge following for decades, well over a century actually, we have one of the oldest Judo clubs in the world here. The emergence of MMA has had little impact on it. I know too that is has always been tremendously popular in Europe, France especially.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From what I've read elsewhere the IJF is launching it's own promotion of professional fights, Gi with MMA type gloves by all accounts. So it makes sense that they would ban Judoka from competing in what will be a rival sport. They will need the fighters for themselves.
In the UK Judo has always been one of the most popular martial arts, has had a huge following for decades, well over a century actually, we have one of the oldest Judo clubs in the world here. The emergence of MMA has had little impact on it. I know too that is has always been tremendously popular in Europe, France especially.
Judo has always been popular here in Seattle, as well. We are the home, in fact, of the very first Judo dojo in the continental USA. Judo is also a sanctioned school sport in our public high schools.

I'm not sure we can argue that BJJ has been good for judo. I'd argue the opposite around here, that BJJ has poached a lot of potential students from Judo clubs.

Regarding a rival promotion to UFC, good luck. I give it less than five years from launch to fold.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regarding a rival promotion to UFC, good luck. I give it less than five years from launch to fold.
Depends on how they format it. If its just repackaged UFC I woudnt even give it 5 years. If they come up with something new then they may have a chance. I think alot of casual fans get tired of watching the ground game in the UFC they done see the skill involved. So if they can Capitalize on big flashy throws and good stand up they may have a chance.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Depends on how they format it. If its just repackaged UFC I woudnt even give it 5 years. If they come up with something new then they may have a chance. I think alot of casual fans get tired of watching the ground game in the UFC they done see the skill involved. So if they can Capitalize on big flashy throws and good stand up they may have a chance.
I don't think it matters how they do it. It's doomed. Chuck Norris had an interesting spin (no pun intended) on the fight game with his World Combat League. Intended to be fast paced and aggressive, the rules penalized clinching, holding, stalling and passivity. It was actually pretty fun to watch, but only lasted a few years before it folded.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Its not nonsense. Judo isn't very popular here in the states, and Bjj has reawakened an interest in Judo newaza.
I don't know, Hanzou. It's very popular around here and has been for a long time. I think that there is a perception that Judo isn't "popular" that stems erroneously from a lack of marketing. In the USA, it is just typically run as non-profit. This means no marketing is done or needed, and there is little or no vested need to self-promote a dojo. BJJ, conversely, is very much "for profit" which means that a BJJ school owner has a vested interest in self-promotion and marketing.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its not nonsense. Judo isn't very popular here in the states, and Bjj has reawakened an interest in Judo newaza.
Where? Damn near every college has a Judo team, We have an Olympic Program, Its very popular world wide esp in Europe and Asia with massive national teams. I can count more Judo schools in this area then BJJ.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps where you live its on the down slide but as Steve said its normally not advertised very well or at all. Id bet if you started looking you would be surprised how many you would find.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mmm! No. Close but not exactly what was said or what was meant ...
[\QUOTE]“These new combat sports (MMA) seem like they come out of a video game. These guys are stupid enough to kill each other in front of everyone in a cage and they are well paid, so they would accept. Sport is not war! We must be able to shake hands and go have a beer together in the end, “he said.[\QUOTE]There have been deaths in MMA just as there have been in many other sports such as boxing. The irony is that the same charge could be levelled at judo.
108 school judo class deaths but no charges only silence The Japan Times
So it is not necessarily that everyone competing in a martial art is stupid but it is a fact that people can be killed or permanently disabled. Even amateur bouts carry a high risk of injury.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think Jean Luc Rouge meant actually killing each other. I'm pretty sure, from the context, that "killing" was not intended literally. I do think he meant stupid, though.

What is very clear from the statement is that Jean Luc Rouge has a strange, distorted impression of the culture within MMA.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think Jean Luc Rouge meant actually killing each other. I'm pretty sure, from the context, that "killing" was not intended literally. I do think he meant stupid, though.

What is very clear from the statement is that Jean Luc Rouge has a strange, distorted impression of the culture within MMA.
When you take into account that he would have been speaking French and someone else has translated it into English I doubt we'll ever know what he meant.

Latest Discussions