IJF bans Judo athletes from participating in Bjj tournaments

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
International Judo Federation Prohibits Judo Athletes To Compete in BJJ & other Grappling Competitions | Bjj Eastern Europe

judo-ijf-439x668.jpg

Pretty crazy rule if true.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is what it is saying. It is preventing IJF ranked athletes from competing in international competition unless authorised by the IJF. What international BJJ tournament is there apart from the Mundials and even then, why would a top ranking judoka want to compete in a BJJ championship? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
:asian:

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this to prevent high ranking Judoka from competing against low ranking BJJist? Does the competition side work like that?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is what it is saying. It is preventing IJF ranked athletes from competing in international competition unless authorised by the IJF. What international BJJ tournament is there apart from the Mundials and even then, why would a top ranking judoka want to compete in a BJJ championship? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Theres also ADCC, and Metamoris is slowly gaining popularity. I'm sure there's plenty of smaller competitions out there as well. Those aren't Bjj per say, but they are submission grappling competitions that Judoka have entered in the past, and performed well in. Why would a top ranking Judoka want to compete in a submission grappling tournament? Mainly to test their abilities against other grapplers, and enhance their art.

Supposedly the IJF wants to also begin a Newaza competition in the near future (not holding my breath on that one). Bjj stylists are going to flock to that, unless the IJF finds a way to lock them out of it. In the end, rules like this just hurt Judo in the long run.

Is this to prevent high ranking Judoka from competing against low ranking BJJist? Does the competition side work like that?

I don't know. That would be a pretty ridiculous reason, since quite a few high ranking judoka also practice Bjj, and like to compete in Bjj competitions.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing. The Organization wants to protect its top level athletes from getting hurt in other people's events or drawing money for other organizations. Most sports when you get to highlevels have clauses like that. Usually it's in a individuals contract not organization wide but it happens all the time. I have an aquantiance that plays professional football he's banned by contract from taking any martial arts classes during the season.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing. The Organization wants to protect its top level athletes from getting hurt in other people's events or drawing money for other organizations. Most sports when you get to highlevels have clauses like that. Usually it's in a individuals contract not organization wide but it happens all the time. I have an aquantiance that plays professional football he's banned by contract from taking any martial arts classes during the season.

If the IJF was paying the salaries of the competitors involved, then I would agree with you. (Especially if they were getting paid pro football money.)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Travis Stevens (Judo Olympian) is also a BJJ black belt and competes in BJJ.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the IJF was paying the salaries of the competitors involved, then I would agree with you. (Especially if they were getting paid pro football money.)

I don't think the IJF cares. It's all about protecting the IJF. Any other combat sport is a rival to them. Allowing it's athletes to participate in other organizations puts $ in the other groups pockets.
They will probably try to disguise this by saying they are worried about athletes safety but I believe it's more about not wanting it's people helping other organizations

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the IJF cares. It's all about protecting the IJF. Any other combat sport is a rival to them. Allowing it's athletes to participate in other organizations puts $ in the other groups pockets.
They will probably try to disguise this by saying they are worried about athletes safety but I believe it's more about not wanting it's people helping other organizations

You're probably right. That doesn't mean anyone has to like it. I've seen nothing but negative reactions to this from all my Judo and BJJ friends.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're probably right. That doesn't mean anyone has to like it. I've seen nothing but negative reactions to this from all my Judo and BJJ friends.

I wouldn't expect people to. I have lots of rules at my job I don't like. You either accept it or quit. If it bothers them that much I guess they have a choice to make

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect people to. I have lots of rules at my job I don't like. You either accept it or quit. If it bothers them that much I guess they have a choice to make

I think this is going to force the creation of a competing governing body of Judo, or cause a lot of Judokas to just take up Bjj instead.

I'm fine with either personally. The more Judokas taking Bjj and exchanging ideas and techniques the better.

Travis Stevens (Judo Olympian) is also a BJJ black belt and competes in BJJ.

Yep. I can't imagine he's happy about this. Isn't he part of Renzo Gracie's competition team?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. They suck.....good things right out of judo. :rpo:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this is going to force the creation of a competing governing body of Judo, or cause a lot of Judokas to just take up Bjj instead.

I'm fine with either personally. The more Judokas taking Bjj and exchanging ideas and techniques the better.

I doubt it. Like anything else when it comes to change people will complain and throw a fit and maybe a few will leave but in the end nothing will happen. It's hard to break up the establishment. Kinda like how nobody can take down the NFL many have tried and they all fail. Now that may be an extremely example since all the fighting organizations combined don't produce the cash flow the NFL does but you get the idea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The mu dials are only one of a dozen or so IBJJF events each year. Other organizations also host international grappling events It's far from just the mu dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The IJF posted a statement regarding the matter, which was quickly taken down due to the backlash. You can read the cached version here.

Apparently having judoka cross over into BJJ, Sambo, etc will lead to spiritual contamination. :miffer:

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The IJF posted a statement regarding the matter, which was quickly taken down due to the backlash. You can read the cached version here.

Apparently having judoka cross over into BJJ, Sambo, etc will lead to spiritual contamination. :miffer:

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a long time. IJF continues to try to destroy Judo. It's a shame.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Could you guys post a screen capture? Redirects and cached sites are blocked for me.

Latest Discussions