If you were Buakaw's trainer, what would you have him do?

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you were Buakaw's trainer, what would you have him do?

Here's a video of him lifting weights...

I guess I should've clarified it better... My question is this... If you were Buakaw's strength and conditioning coach, what would you have him do?

As proud as I can be, I can't help but be humbled by the fact that I have no idea how to train this guy if I was his strength and conditioning coach. Lifting weights for the purpose of getting stronger is a very delicate matter when it comes to martial arts. Specifically speaking, full-contact combat sports.

Becoming physically stronger is a great thing, but in combat sports, there are weight classes. Not exceeding your weight limit means limiting your caloric intake, which is very bad for strength gains. As much as strength is neural as it is muscular, you do need to get bigger in order to increase your strength.

If you pick a random person on the street and have him go to me for weight training, I would first ask what he is doing it for. I'll extract a specific answer from him. If his answer is "I wanna be big and strong!", then I'd be perfect for him. If his answer is "I wanna be strong for MMA!", then I'd decline him my services. It's just not something I know about. The exception would be if he was at the heaviest weight division and had no concern over gaining more weight.

So I ask you, what would YOU do? I'm curious.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even if he was at the highest weight class he shouldn't be massive. Majority of fighters who have massive bodies are completely dead after 3 rounds. I've seen it thousands of times these guys look big and strong in their then by the second or third round they've got their hands on their knees barely able to breathe. Perfect example is Shane Carwin. Finished all his fights in the first round then when he couldn't finish Brock Lesnar in a round he got embarrassingly tired and became a punchbag

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Even if he was at the highest weight class he shouldn't be massive. Majority of fighters who have massive bodies are completely dead after 3 rounds. I've seen it thousands of times these guys look big and strong in their then by the second or third round they've got their hands on their knees barely able to breathe. Perfect example is Shane Carwin. Finished all his fights in the first round then when he couldn't finish Brock Lesnar in a round he got embarrassingly tired and became a punchbag
So imagine big untrained-for-martial-arts people (if you don’t know none). After 30 seconds they are down on their own. And they are often slow and uncoordinated. A bit of patience (and luck first seconds) is ‘all’ we need against this kind of opponent.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So imagine big untrained-for-martial-arts people (if you don’t know none). After 30 seconds they are down on their own. And they are often slow and uncoordinated. A bit of patience (and luck first seconds) is ‘all’ we need against this kind of opponent.
Pretty much. Also bigger muscles means bigger targets to hit

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd train him. How would depend on where he was now and where he wanted to go. Can't tell squat from a video.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd train him. How would depend on where he was now and where he wanted to go. Can't tell squat from a video.

Yes yes, you'd train him. But HOW? What would you have him do exactly? lol

Okay. I'll give you a hypothetical scenario. Here it is...

You are Buakaw's strength and conditioning trainer. He says, "Hey Buka, I wanna go up a weight class and get stronger without losing my striking speed." What will you do?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

You are Buakaw's strength and conditioning trainer. He says, "Hey Buka, I wanna go up a weight class and get stronger without losing my striking speed." What will you do?
Tell him to not be so stupid. Fighters going up to heavier weight classes they don't belong at is dangerous and no theres no way to keep the same speed.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score

But you also have to keep in mind a few exceptionally conditioned athletes like Kevin Randleman and Tito Ortiz, who could keep up the pace for a long-**** time without gassing out. Or a Kurt Angle. They were all big and strong AND were conditioned for their sports, endurance-wise. How would you deal with them?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Not trying to dodge the question, but I'd hook him up with another good trainer. I don't train people who want to change weight classes. I mean, if he was 170 and wanted to fight in a higher weight class, I'd help him, but not by putting on weight. Just go fight the bigger guys at the weight you are at - if it's maximum fitness.

I'd never allow a fighter to cut weight for a weigh in, either. I know that kind of thinking has no place in the modern fight game, but nobody I ever trained was allowed to cut weight, ever.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you also have to keep in mind a few exceptionally conditioned athletes like Kevin Randleman and Tito Ortiz, who could keep up the pace for a long-**** time without gassing out. Or a Kurt Angle. They were all big and strong AND were conditioned for their sports, endurance-wise. How would you deal with them?
Tito Ortiz was never that big and randleman was a know steroid user and theres certain drugs that help you to keep going longer without feeling pain and kurt angle is a fake wrestler so that's nothing special

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not trying to dodge the question, but I'd hook him up with another good trainer. I don't train people who want to change weight classes. I mean, if he was 170 and wanted to fight in a higher weight class, I'd help him, but not by putting on weight. Just go fight the bigger guys at the weight you are at - if it's maximum fitness.

I'd never allow a fighter to cut weight for a weigh in, either. I know that kind of thinking has no place in the modern fight game, but nobody I ever trained was allowed to cut weight, ever.
Yeah that kind of things stupid. I mean look at gsp. The guy was throwing up constantly trying to put on weight and yeah he won but he really damaged himself and now has colitis and while I don't know much about that I believe it has to do with all the weight he put on messing up his insides

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tito Ortiz was never that big and randleman was a know steroid user and theres certain drugs that help you to keep going longer without feeling pain and kurt angle is a fake wrestler so that's nothing special

Kurt Angle was an Olympic athlete. Steroids don't matter once you're at the top. You'd be surprised at how many top-level athletes there are who are into steroids. They get away with it. It's all fair play. Wise people understand that steroid usage is, was, and will always be a part of modern sports.

However, I do agree with you that Tito was never that big. I just googled him and saw how puny he was. Heck, I can achieve his physique in less than a year worth of lifting weights.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kurt Angle was an Olympic athlete. Steroids don't matter once you're at the top. You'd be surprised at how many top-level athletes there are who are into steroids. They get away with it. It's all fair play. Wise people understand that steroid usage is, was, and will always be a part of modern sports.

However, I do agree with you that Tito was never that big. I just googled him and saw how puny he was. Heck, I can achieve his physique in less than a year worth of lifting weights.
Yeah they do matter. They're illegal for a reason especially in something like fighting where you can do serious damage to someone. It's definentely not fair play. Only cowards take steroids. It shows they're not confident in their own abilities.

And yeah maybe you could but who cares he'd kick your *** any day of the week no matter how many weights you lift. That's the whole point. In fighting it's about skill not muscle

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah they do matter. They're illegal for a reason especially in something like fighting where you can do serious damage to someone. It's definentely not fair play. Only cowards take steroids. It shows they're not confident in their own abilities.

And yeah maybe you could but who cares he'd kick your *** any day of the week no matter how many weights you lift. That's the whole point. In fighting it's about skill not muscle

The irony of what you just said is that you were saying that steroids matter when you also said that "In fighting it's about skill not muscle"

Steroid = Muscle.

Do you see my point?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The irony of what you just said is that you were saying that steroids matter when you also said that "In fighting it's about skill not muscle"

Steroid = Muscle.

Do you see my point?
When you take steroids it gives you unnatural strength which can cause damage to opponents and potentially kill them that's why it's cheating. If you think that's fair then you need to seriously take a look at yourself. Fighting is about skill and yes you need to be strong but not huge skill is more important than strength that was shown in the very first ufcs

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah that kind of things stupid. I mean look at gsp. The guy was throwing up constantly trying to put on weight and yeah he won but he really damaged himself and now has colitis and while I don't know much about that I believe it has to do with all the weight he put on messing up his insides

Yeah, maybe, I don't know for sure. I've had Ulcerative Colitis since I was thirteen. In turn, that led to Rheumatoid Arthritis in the last couple years, or so the Docs have told me. But, hey, we all got something, [like there's any doubt about that] don't worry about it, you play the cards you're dealt. May we all play them well.

I believe, with all my heart, soul and experience, that Martial Arts training can help counteract, lessen, and improve just about everything.

If I'm lying to myself, well, so far, so good. ;)

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't tell much from a video. Would need more information like what is his weight now, what is the fight weight, what is his strength now, and what is the end goal/s with the training.

A fighter has to be strong enough to dominate the opponent, throw powerful punches and kicks, absorb impact, and be able to resist a constant application of force. He or she has to be powerful and fast, and have enough endurance to be able to perform at high level for the length of the rounds and for however many rounds the fight is. The training program has to address all of the above qualities without compromising any part. This is the beauty of strength and conditioning training for combat sports - as an S&C coach you are a part of a team that creates a well-rounded athlete and not just a big and powerful lifter.

Some factors to consider:
- Always follow a Hippocratic Oath to do no harm.
There are strength and conditioning coaches out there who train the fighters as if the gym, not the ring or cage, was their main sport. If the athlete gets seriously injured during a conditioning session and you jeopardize his/her career because of it, it means you failed as a trainer. Therefore the selection of exercise and equipment according to athlete’s ability is so important. The gym is not a place to take risks.

- The trainer/coach must remember that the goal is the goal.
This should be obvious, but so often you see trainers who have an ambition to make their fighters the best deadlifters, best sprinters, marathon runners, or even Olympic power lifters. The goal is the goal and in our case to goal is to make a better fighter not a powerlifter. I can think of only one example where the gym has became the sport…CrossFit. If you want to be good in the CrossFit Games, CrossFit training is the way to go, but it doesn’t mean it is a good way to train a fighter. Quite the opposite and what works for a powerlifter will not necessarily work for a fighter. Strength training must be done with the ‘goal’ in mind. Just getting your fighter to be able to lift more weight doesn’t mean he will be a better fighter.

- Strength and conditioning should not dominate the fighting practice and technical sessions.
Strength and conditioning sessions are supporting and complimenting sessions to all other training. If because of your training the athlete is so sore for a couple of days that they have to miss their fighting practice, you fail as a trainer. It may happen that you want to increase the intensity of your strength and conditioning sessions, but always make sure it does not conflict with the fighting practices. Remember the goal is to compete for the length of the rounds and for the entire amount of rounds there are.

- Look at the situation and adapt.
All is going according to the plan. Then one day, the day you have planned a heavy session, the fighter comes in completely battered and says he just did a heavy sparring session, as he had to help his friend, who is getting ready for a fight. Would you even consider sticking to your program on such a day? The answer is that you have to adapt. Sometimes the fighters come to you and their bodies are completely broken. Your job is to build them back up, not to exhaust them even more. You still need to remember about your goal, however. So whatever you do on the day has to ‘contribute to the goal’ itself.

- Keep it simple.
I like keeping the strength training pretty simple. Exercise selection for strength phase includes deadlift, front and back squat, overhead squat, military (strict) press, bench press, different modification of rows, pull ups (weighted or bodyweight), and various core exercises. The basic principle is to include movements like pull, push, lift, squat, and twist/rotate.

- Observe and compare your strength standards.
My standards for fight strength are as follows:
  • Deadlift - 2xBW
  • Back Squat - 1.75xBW
  • Front Squat - 1.5xBW
  • Overhead Squat - 5 reps @ 1xBW
  • Bench Press -1.5xBW
  • Military Press – 0.9xBW
  • Pull Up (Weighted) - BW + .5BW

Also...Keep in mind mobility and flexibility is required for the goal for fighters. Remember it is strength AND conditioning which includes other factors not just strength and size.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I live far from them. :) Actually, I don’t know what could I do against these guys. Not a clue.

My point is big muscle guys gass out quickly, generally speaking. But I am aware even anonymous athletes can have big muscles AND cardio AND flexibility AND technique AND everything. However they are very very rare (at least).

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can't tell much from a video. Would need more information like what is his weight now, what is the fight weight, what is his strength now, and what is the end goal/s with the training.

A fighter has to be strong enough to dominate the opponent, throw powerful punches and kicks, absorb impact, and be able to resist a constant application of force. He or she has to be powerful and fast, and have enough endurance to be able to perform at high level for the length of the rounds and for however many rounds the fight is. The training program has to address all of the above qualities without compromising any part. This is the beauty of strength and conditioning training for combat sports - as an S&C coach you are a part of a team that creates a well-rounded athlete and not just a big and powerful lifter.

Some factors to consider:
- Always follow a Hippocratic Oath to do no harm.
There are strength and conditioning coaches out there who train the fighters as if the gym, not the ring or cage, was their main sport. If the athlete gets seriously injured during a conditioning session and you jeopardize his/her career because of it, it means you failed as a trainer. Therefore the selection of exercise and equipment according to athlete’s ability is so important. The gym is not a place to take risks.

- The trainer/coach must remember that the goal is the goal.
This should be obvious, but so often you see trainers who have an ambition to make their fighters the best deadlifters, best sprinters, marathon runners, or even Olympic power lifters. The goal is the goal and in our case to goal is to make a better fighter not a powerlifter. I can think of only one example where the gym has became the sport…CrossFit. If you want to be good in the CrossFit Games, CrossFit training is the way to go, but it doesn’t mean it is a good way to train a fighter. Quite the opposite and what works for a powerlifter will not necessarily work for a fighter. Strength training must be done with the ‘goal’ in mind. Just getting your fighter to be able to lift more weight doesn’t mean he will be a better fighter.

- Strength and conditioning should not dominate the fighting practice and technical sessions.
Strength and conditioning sessions are supporting and complimenting sessions to all other training. If because of your training the athlete is so sore for a couple of days that they have to miss their fighting practice, you fail as a trainer. It may happen that you want to increase the intensity of your strength and conditioning sessions, but always make sure it does not conflict with the fighting practices. Remember the goal is to compete for the length of the rounds and for the entire amount of rounds there are.

- Look at the situation and adapt.
All is going according to the plan. Then one day, the day you have planned a heavy session, the fighter comes in completely battered and says he just did a heavy sparring session, as he had to help his friend, who is getting ready for a fight. Would you even consider sticking to your program on such a day? The answer is that you have to adapt. Sometimes the fighters come to you and their bodies are completely broken. Your job is to build them back up, not to exhaust them even more. You still need to remember about your goal, however. So whatever you do on the day has to ‘contribute to the goal’ itself.

- Keep it simple.
I like keeping the strength training pretty simple. Exercise selection for strength phase includes deadlift, front and back squat, overhead squat, military (strict) press, bench press, different modification of rows, pull ups (weighted or bodyweight), and various core exercises. The basic principle is to include movements like pull, push, lift, squat, and twist/rotate.

- Observe and compare your strength standards.
My standards for fight strength are as follows:
  • Deadlift - 2xBW
  • Back Squat - 1.75xBW
  • Front Squat - 1.5xBW
  • Overhead Squat - 5 reps @ 1xBW
  • Bench Press -1.5xBW
  • Military Press – 0.9xBW
  • Pull Up (Weighted) - BW + .5BW

Also...Keep in mind mobility and flexibility is required for the goal for fighters. Remember it is strength AND conditioning which includes other factors not just strength and size.

This is an awesome post. And I love how you included some strength standards. That's very important.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live far from them. :) Actually, I don’t know what could I do against these guys. Not a clue.

My point is big muscle guys gass out quickly, generally speaking. But I am aware even anonymous athletes can have big muscles AND cardio AND flexibility AND technique AND everything. However they are very very rare (at least).

Even if they are rare, do you think you can name a few fighters out there who are just such a person?

Randy Couture comes to my mind. The guy was fairly muscular. And his skills earned him a legendary status in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.

Latest Discussions