If you could choose one knife....

sl2squeeze

White Belt
Reaction score
To defend yourself against someone who broke into your house, which one would it be?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's great! I was going to say:

My M7... on the end of my M590!!!

Barring that, I can't wait to use my Valiant Damascus Bolo on some Zombie/Mutant Biker/Sucker-stupid-enough-to-break-into-my-kids-window-in-the-night...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
you mean what would I choose if I could choose and chose not to grab a real weapon (shotgun, AK, or glock)?

hmm...probably a Bagwell bowie or a machete.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll have to jump on the bayonet bandwagon myself.

But if I had too there is a K-Bar pretty close to my bed.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
For a long range attack: my bolo,machette..

if it were a close range situation: Def my karambit : )

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My trusty Spyderco Police knife. It's in my pocket at almost all times, of course!

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since my apartment is pretty small, the fight would be in pretty close range. I'd go with the 6 1/2" blade length version of the Bram Frank Abaniko.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A bayonet on the end of my shotgun.

A bayonet on a shotgun...hmmm, "If you have a bay-o-net on the end of your shotgun, you just might be a redneck." :D

It depends on lots of things, but we have a fairly spacious house and so a machete (or bolo) comes to mind. For close quarters I too like a kerambit.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
"great minds think alike" ; )

BOLO(machete): Medium to long range tool, in suffice to using an edged weapon for any given self defense situation you want to A) disarm, difuse, or simply disolve the given threat.
At first glance a crazed lunatik with a machete in his hand is enough to disolve most sitations. Whats more is a crazed lunatik with knowledge of said edged weapon he / she is weilding.

I live in a small / medium 2 bedroom apartment and I have frickin blades hanging everywhere in almost every single room.. (yes seriously) It's my pad and being single I can do that. LOL when i was married I was never allowed to have these things all over like I wanted... ANYWAY, so seeing how majority are bolo, khukri, keris, and my advid display of japanese swords all over... I would have many to choose from.

KARAMBIT: CLOSE range implemented tool, in suffice to using an edged weapon for self defense in all reality this one comes to great mind, mainly because i carry one almost at all times. As im an advit karambit collector I carry the tactical folder type, BOTH TRAINING and LIVE (yes i carry both daily). NOT to mention one of my living room walls has about 5 karambits attached to it...(so im wierd big deal, who isnt)

LAW ENFORCEMENT USE: LIVE TACTICAL FOLDER KARAMBIT (for the chances I have to rely on a serious tool to do a serious job)

SELF DEFENSE USE: GIVEN the situation depending on if its a job or decison to use deadly force or not.. For the NON-LETHAL Decision to use self defense I choose to carry a tactical folding (Trainer blade) karambit.. ( The danged thing is.. I'd love to get more of these.. But I think they stopped making them..) AWESOME FOR NON-LETHAL SELF DEFENSE.. Looks real, feels real and hides real, IT IS REAL, just don't have a sharp edge.. So in turn I carry both one in each pocket depending on what situation I'd ever have to partake in...

( TO DATE) I've used the trainer in self-defense to control a semi-violent offender only once and it worked out lovely... Upon opening and applying it the offender "FROZE" thiking it was a real blade and it allowed just enough time to thrust into a joint lock to cuff the sap!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

NOTE* If anyone has the knowhow or knowledge it would defenitly behoove you to market some inexpensive tactical folding training karambits for law enforcement and security personell... JUST an FYI

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is very hard to argue against a bayonet off of either an assault rifle or a shotgun. (Yes MJS many of us have this
icon10.gif
and no I would not consider myself a redneck) However, the bayonet would only probably come into play if the firearm malfunctioned. I think the OP was looking for just a knife in general and in that instance I have heard some great suggestions here from everyone. It will definately be a personal preferance based on your training and skill set. For myself if it is knife only then a push dagger in the house is decidedly dangerous and probably first choice. Almost impossible to disarm and designed for one thing. Definately a close quarter tool if there ever was one. A machete or longer knife may have issue's so for in close work something with a point is a must. Just my 02. on the matter.

I have added a link to my Blog that also talks about knive's in general but you have to scroll down a bit.
http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/page/2/

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Other than the bayonet, whatever comes to hand. As long as it is sharp enough and can cut and stab without my hand riding down onto the blade it really doesn't matter very much. The important thing is that it be in my hand and I get close enough to use it. The chef's knife will do about the same job as the Randall or the kerambit. That's the reality. Most of the particulars about exactly what sort of steel and particular geometry and all the rest take (at best) distant fifth or sixth place.

Oh, there are things I like and things that are really cool. But in the kind of situation we're talking about those don't make enough difference to really matter. Hold onto blunt end. Put sharp end into the other guy. Repeat until done. Don't let him do the same thing to me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the look of the tanto, and for some things it's great. But overall it's never "felt" as good as it "looked"--I prefer something with a bit more curve.

Latest Discussions