if you could change a thing or things.....

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot think of any off the top of my head. The reason for this question?

The reason is that that was what I interpreted @dvcochran was working toward (with his whole senior moment episode with the knifehand/spearhand/fingertip confusion) and you knowledge is exponentially greater than mine...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason is that that was what I interpreted @dvcochran was working toward (with his whole senior moment episode with the knifehand/spearhand/fingertip confusion) and you knowledge is exponentially greater than mine...
Sir, Thank you. I see it now - post #81.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think one thing I might change is the terminology. Instead of "inside" and "outside" I would use "inward" and "outward." Because the "inside axe kick" starts inside and the "inside block" ends inside. If you say "outward" you imply a direction, so an outward axe kick or an outward block both mean the same direction.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one thing I might change is the terminology. Instead of "inside" and "outside" I would use "inward" and "outward." Because the "inside axe kick" starts inside and the "inside block" ends inside. If you say "outward" you imply a direction, so an outward axe kick or an outward block both mean the same direction.

We use inward and outward...

For instance, an inner forearm inward block is obviously different to an inner forearm outward block ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For instance, an inner forearm inward block is obviously different to an inner forearm outward block ;)
I just can't picture what an inner forearm outward block is. It seems it would require a dislocation.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just can't picture what an inner forearm outward block is. It seems it would require a dislocation.

Grab your belt buckle - that can be where you start.

Then, move your arm so that:

High section - look at your palm.

Low section - put the back of your knuckles on your knee.

That's kind of where you finish.

In this nomenclature, the radius is your inner forearm, the ulna is your outer forearm.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grab your belt buckle - that can be where you start.

Then, move your arm so that:

High section - look at your palm.

Low section - put the back of your knuckles on your knee.

That's kind of where you finish.

In this nomenclature, the radius is your inner forearm, the ulna is your outer forearm.
Ah, I was picturing it as an upper-body block. Makes much more sense (and is less self-destructive) the way you describe. Maybe it's better if you teach that one. :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah, there are more ways to break it down from there. But at least you'd have a consistent direction!

One thing a former student of my school was complaining about is that at her new school, an "outside block" is done with the palm out, while at our school an "outside block" is done with the palm in.

Uchi-%20uke%202.JPG

latest

The top image is how we do it at our school, the bottom image is how they do it at her school. (At my school we teach the bottom block with the knife-hand, and call it "knife-hand block". Later on we learn the top version with the open hand, but we don't really do the bottom version with fist).

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, there are more ways to break it down from there. But at least you'd have a consistent direction!

One thing a former student of my school was complaining about is that at her new school, an "outside block" is done with the palm out, while at our school an "outside block" is done with the palm in.

Uchi-%20uke%202.JPG

latest

The top image is how we do it at our school, the bottom image is how they do it at her school. (At my school we teach the bottom block with the knife-hand, and call it "knife-hand block". Later on we learn the top version with the open hand, but we don't really do the bottom version with fist).

We do both of those with the closed hand.

The top one is inner forearm outward, the bottom one outer forearm outward - both of those would be mid section as pictured.

Well, that's if they're travelling in an outward direction.

AFAIK, we don't have anything called an "outside block" - we undoubtedly have the technique, but not so named.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Uchi-%20uke%202.JPG

latest

I teach both of those as the "outside block". And I teach the knife-hand block as "one hand block", just to be crystal clear. :D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do both of those with the closed hand.

The top one is inner forearm outward, the bottom one outer forearm outward - both of those would be mid section as pictured.

Well, that's if they're travelling in an outward direction.

AFAIK, we don't have anything called an "outside block" - we undoubtedly have the technique, but not so named.
I guess I am too simple minded. We look at it with the blocking palm up, (closed hand); if you block with the inside of the forearm it is an inside block, likewise, if you block with the outside of the forearm it is an outside block. An open hand block is named as such. There is a KKW form with a very slow outside motion with the palm out but I can't remember which one at the moment.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I am too simple minded. We look at it with the blocking palm up, (closed hand); if you block with the inside of the forearm it is an inside block, likewise, if you block with the outside of the forearm it is an outside block. An open hand block is named as such. There is a KKW form with a very slow outside motion with the palm out but I can't remember which one at the moment.

But if I use my outer forearm I can block in an inward or outward direction. They can't both be outside blocks, surely?

And an open hand block - well, I can do a knifehand or a palm block inward or outward, or rising (upward) or pressing (downward) or pushing (forward), or say an upset palm (low to mid section, palm up - really more of a catch but termed as a block). I can't see the logic in lumping them all under one name... Unless you do have different names that all include the term "open hand"?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one thing I might change is the terminology. Instead of "inside" and "outside" I would use "inward" and "outward."

Chang Hon uses both "xxxwrd" refers to direction of travel i.e. Inward left arm moving from left shoulder line toward center line and outward moving the opposite way. "xxxisde" refers to where in relation to opponents body the block mkes contact. i.e. opponent in front of you right arm extended palm down. Contacting on the side of the arm closes to their center line is inside. Other side is outside.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thumb side of the arm is inner forearm. Small finger side is outer forearm.
Ah! I call the soft part of the forearm (palm-side) the "inside" or "inner". It makes much more sense with your definition. So my "outer block" (high closed-hand block to the outside of the shoulder) is both "inner block" and "outer block" to you, since I allow it both palm-in and palm-out.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I now have part of my "Monday night question time" sorted :D

I was happy with my interpretation of inner/outer/inward/outward - but @Earl Weiss has now added inside and outside which I now must research as to whether our ITF branch uses the same nomenclature...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I now have part of my "Monday night question time" sorted :D

I was happy with my interpretation of inner/outer/inward/outward - but @Earl Weiss has now added inside and outside which I now must research as to whether our ITF branch uses the same nomenclature...
If you're like me, two or three hours of research should be sufficient to answer any relatively unimportant question.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're like me, two or three hours of research should be sufficient to answer any relatively unimportant question.

Oh I'll look, but I've got this kind of tradition going.

After class on Monday I approach my instructors with a (/ a list of) questions.

I usually have something like "I found xyz info/technique/application, what is our system's take on it?"

It's quite entertaining :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I'll look, but I've got this kind of tradition going.

After class on Monday I approach my instructors with a (/ a list of) questions.

I usually have something like "I found xyz info/technique/application, what is our system's take on it?"

It's quite entertaining :)
After class? Heck, if any of my students ever did that, they'd be late getting home. I love stuff like that.