If you are teaching women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This poster has recently been put up in the New York subways by their sanitation department.

PosterMassholeIfBlack?.jpg

If the cartoon figure in the poster was of any other demographic, think it would have caused any problems?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This poster has recently been put up in the New York subways by their sanitation department.

View attachment 21847

If the cartoon figure in the poster was of any other demographic, think it would have caused any problems?
Wait...so are sam adams, white males, red sox fans, or patriots fans trash? There is so much in there the poster can be referring to...my head hurts

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand what you meant and why you posted it. I think this is more analogous to a black person posting about risks young black men have of being shot by police, and cops responding defensively by saying, "We shoot white people, too."
That actually is very analogous, just not in the way that you think. The risk isn't of 'young black men' getting shot, it's of 'people pointing guns at/trying to fight with cops' getting shot. On this front the statistics actually show you're more likely to be shot if you're white.

Weaselling 'race' in there is politics.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait...so are sam adams, white males, red sox fans, or patriots fans trash? There is so much in there the poster can be referring to...my head hurts

In a sports sense, yes, which is what my guess this was all about. Boston and New York have been at odds with each other for many a year. Back to the Babe Ruth days, probably longer.

We are Massholes. At least I used to be. Now I'm a Haole Masshole. Damn proud of it, too.

You know why? Because we really, really like parades. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would mean absolutely nothing to tourists and visitors though. In the UK we don't tend to use the word 'trash'. We say 'rubbish' and if used as an adjective isn't really an insult, I would for example tell you I was 'a rubbish golfer'. The name and supposed sports link would also be lost on non Americans as would the whole poster, valid as New York is a huge tourist destination ( if an odd one sometimes, my daughter went to a restaurant that prides itself on it's rudeness!)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

View attachment 21847

It's possible. I think there's value in that discussion. Relevant to this thread, the discussion above would be completely distinct from the discussion that Boston fans might have about how they feel unwelcome in NYC. Those poor, dumb Boston fans. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would mean absolutely nothing to tourists and visitors though. In the UK we don't tend to use the word 'trash'. We say 'rubbish' and if used as an adjective isn't really an insult, I would for example tell you I was 'a rubbish golfer'. The name and supposed sports link would also be lost on non Americans as would the whole poster, valid as New York is a huge tourist destination ( if an odd one sometimes, my daughter went to a restaurant that prides itself on it's rudeness!)
It is 100% tailored to newyorkers/'new englanders'. So many references that would be lost on others. Like the kevin durant knicks poster that went up recently.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Often, students in class will over-apologize, laugh (inappropriately) and dismiss their own reactions, shut-down or otherwise try to cover their distress. What do you usually do (if anything)?

Aedrasteia asked,

“Often, students in class will over-apologize, laugh (inappropriately) and dismiss their own reactions, shut-down or otherwise try to cover their distress. What do you usually do (if anything)?”

Men and women often express emotion and past trauma outwardly differently yet often the internal mechanisms are nearly the same, and these can be recognized, experienced, and better understood. Once understood they can be named and tamed. Our students are taught to recognize a nervous system reaction (their own, their training partners, and others in the class) while training in our courses and to value the experience and learn that the ability to control and quickly recover from these reactions is one of the prime benefits of our training, not to be ignored or taken lightly. We teach them from day one to pay attention to, and to take the time to address their nervous system reactions and to value the experience of working with others who might be dealing with nervous system arousal issues. It is often that someone has to pause the ‘training’ to do some movement to help cleanse the body, to change and emphasize breathing, are to otherwise deal with the bodies remembered traumas. These times are learning experiences for all involved, and valued greatly as such rather than as a weakness or a bother.

We also do A LOT OF various massages during classes and these sessions help to inoculate the stresses of body nearness, pressure, and contact. Massage is a great way of manipulating the nervous system in a safe and learning environment. Massages using tools (often knives, pistols, shovels, chains, and sticks) is also a great way to get comfortable with both sides of the tool use (the user and the one it is being applied to) and to start to recognize system arousals in their very beginning before total hijacking.

Breathing, movement, deliberate controlled exposure, massage, bodywork, and stress inoculation are all tools that the students learn to use as they self-care and care for their training partners while training.

Regards

Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quickly.

People hold fear and trauma within their bodies and an outstanding way of experiencing and understanding these ‘tension spots’ is thru massage. It is interesting that it does not necessarily have to be deep body/tissue massage to reach and openly explore those locked in tension knots. For example, it is not unheard of to release these knots during striking drills.

Some people having weapons in their hands/on body or facing an armed training partner also induces excess tension either from fear or past traumas. A very interesting way of sensitizing people to these knots, which are very often unconscious, is also thru massage.

There is a best practice for martial artists is to leave the training with less knots and fear than they arrived to the training with. Yup, again this is often accomplished thru massage.

For weapons work it can be psychological strengthening to learn how the weapons can heal as well as injure. For addressing fear and/or trauma acquired during weapons sparring and drilling, it is often very interesting to use the same tool that gave the lumps to reduce the lumps, as well as explore the different tone of the training partners while doing the both the massage as well as the sparing/drilling.

For those in action professions one of the standard rules is to eliminate non-essentials. They have to carry what they need for long distances and often have to live with what they bring with them. Learning how to make their tools multi-purpose is a win.

As an example for working with hand and long guns, simply lay the weapon beside the student and have them lay their arms, legs, or torso across the weapon. Lay there a moment or two and explore any tension acquired, use breathing to remove the tension noticed. Once a student is ok with the weapon below the body have an additional student do push-ups by placing their closed fists on the other students body (the one with a weapon under their body) and perform their push-ups. Extra points if the student doing the push-ups can tell where under their partners body the weapon is hidden merely by observing the excess tension written on their partner. This understanding is very helpful while everyday carrying and especially during a self-defense struggle/ scramble should a weapon be dropped or loosed from holster/belt/pocket. Often people who have not done this type of training cannot even tell the butt of weapon from the muzzle when laying across it.

Another example to lay multiple weapons of various types haphazardly on the floor and have the students slowly roll and crawl around on the floor blindfolded and once over the weapon pick it up so that it can instantly be used while maintaining their rolls and movements. Once acquired, the weapon is then left and a new weapon is sought.

Percussion type of massage (trying to stay off bones, of course) using weapons can also prove useful and will also highlight and expose excess tension due to the introduction of the weapon even with the lightest of taps.

Exposure to weapons work in different circumstances and situations sensitizes students to the whole possibilities of the work. It reduces the talisman effect and unrealistic expectations that many who carry weapons display.

Regards
Brian King

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people having weapons in their hands/on body or facing an armed training partner also induces excess tension either from fear or past traumas.

Putting a weapon near my students is likely to induce them to either KO you or roll around on the floor laughing. They know more about weapons ( including those that civilians don't get their hands on) and have used them in war zones so are not going to be impressed by an instructor suggesting a massage. mention massage to a squaddie and you'll get a blush making reply :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting a weapon near my students is likely to induce them to either KO you or roll around on the floor laughing. They know more about weapons ( including those that civilians don't get their hands on) and have used them in war zones so are not going to be impressed by an instructor suggesting a massage. mention massage to a squaddie and you'll get a blush making reply :D
I don't think anything Brian posted was intended to impress the students.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything Brian posted was intended to impress the students.

Did you see the grinning emoji at the end? This one :D indicating a humorous post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions