If humans reincarnate upon death, what would you want to come back as?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So two parts to this question: the first is whether or not you'd want to come back as a human or an animal/which animal. The second is if you come back as a human, where/what circumstances would you want to be born into.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So two parts to this question: the first is whether or not you'd want to come back as a human or an animal/which animal. The second is if you come back as a human, where/what circumstances would you want to be born into.
Definitely human, unless there are other sentient alternatives elsewhere in this fictional cosmology.

Regarding where and the circumstances, that's a tough one.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
can you choose not to come back at all, ?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd want to come back as me, I'm pretty good at being me.

But I believe I've come back before. I know that might sound strange, not like all the realistic religious scenarios we studied as children.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

But I believe I've come back before. I know that might sound strange, not like all the realistic religious scenarios we studied as children.
Me too. I remember the old you. I liked him better.

But, I mean, the new you is fine, I guess. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me too. I remember the old you. I liked him better.

But, I mean, the new you is fine, I guess. :D

You liked the Japanese me better? Yeah, I think I do, too. Except he couldn't dance as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this scenario, no.
ok, you cant choose not to be reincarnated, but you can choose if its a worm or a man and if a man what the circumstances your born into are?

if that was so, there would be a great lack of both worms and poor people and as the world cant function with out either of them, it not a good plan

there does seem a tendency with memories of past lives, that they were always someone famous and/ or with money, its like poor people never get reincarnated

Last edited:
OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, you cant choose not to be reincarnated, but you can choose if its a worm or a man and if a man what the circumstances your born into are?

if that was so, there would be a great lack of both worms and poor people and as the world cant function with out either of them, it not a good plan

there does seem a tendency with memories of past lives, that they were always someone famous and/ or with money, its like poor people never get reincarnated
I'm not saying everyone has a choice. Just you in particular. No one else is the wiser.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don’t recall studying any realistic religious scenarios.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A Bristle Cone Pine tree, on a lonely windswept hillside. That way I could just be left the F alone for about 5000 years.

Some asshat would probably come along with a chainsaw...
Depends on where it is, but the idea that a tree would be left to just grow and live for 5000 years... that seems unlikely. Even 500 years seems like a stretch. But that's a very nice thought.

Would be pretty neat, though, if there were some protected land somewhere in the USA that could be a memorial forest, where folks could plant trees that would be protected from future development (as much as any national park is, at least).

D

Deleted member 39746

I dont think you have a choice? From Hindism/Buddhism i dont think you have a direct choice its just sort of general blocks pending on if you were good or bad and how good or bad to what you come back as. (and then good and bad is subjective so if you adore rats, wouldnt you want to come back as one anyway if you were good?)

The go to answer would be a Hindu/Buddhist as you get defacto brownie points in Karma as you will seek it out again.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think you have a choice? From Hindism/Buddhism i dont think you have a direct choice its just sort of general blocks pending on if you were good or bad and how good or bad to what you come back as. (and then good and bad is subjective so if you adore rats, wouldnt you want to come back as one anyway if you were good?)

The go to answer would be a Hindu/Buddhist as you get defacto brownie points in Karma as you will seek it out again.
I wasn't saying you do or don't. I was asking what you would want to come back as.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

of course you dont get a choice,as reincarnation doesnt happen, a system of recycling souls based on abitary human morality, is less likely than a parallel dimension that counts as an after life, there is at least some ( weak) evidence of other dimensions,

D

Deleted member 39746

of course you dont get a choice,as reincarnation doesnt happen, a system of recycling souls based on abitary human morality, is less likely than a parallel dimension that counts as an after life, there is at least some ( weak) evidence of other dimensions,

Completely irrelivent to if it exists or not, in the systems i know of that have re incarnation, you dont get a direct choice in the matter. We arent having a RE discussion here,.the initatory of the thread was "in the system of re incarnation what do you want to come back as?"

I wasn't saying you do or don't. I was asking what you would want to come back as.

I was just pointing out as far as i knew it would be redundent as you dont get a choice in either hinduism or buddhism beyond the "good" or "bad" bracket. although, i was expecting most peoples choices to be a Hindu or Buddhist due to the brownie points you get in the karma scale for being born again to the path and/or seeking it out again. I think there is something like a portion of people who seek out Buddhism are said to be re inacarted from Buddhists as they always seek out enlightenment or were pretty good to be born to a buddhist family thus seeking out enlightenment. (i could be conflating mormonism here somewhat, i know they have the stance good mormons are always born to mormons or something)

Although i have a really obscure view that you you get sent back to some form of collective soul pool and what ever is born next in your bracket (if we were to karamtise it) is what you get.

But back on the creature question, pretty sure anything beats the demon that runs around eating feacal matter, i think we can all agree.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Completely irrelivent to if it exists or not, in the systems i know of that have re incarnation, you dont get a direct choice in the matter. We arent having a RE discussion here,.the initatory of the thread was "in the system of re incarnation what do you want to come back as?"

I was just pointing out as far as i knew it would be redundent as you dont get a choice in either hinduism or buddhism beyond the "good" or "bad" bracket. although, i was expecting most peoples choices to be a Hindu or Buddhist due to the brownie points you get in the karma scale for being born again to the path and/or seeking it out again. I think there is something like a portion of people who seek out Buddhism are said to be re inacarted from Buddhists as they always seek out enlightenment or were pretty good to be born to a buddhist family thus seeking out enlightenment. (i could be conflating mormonism here somewhat, i know they have the stance good mormons are always born to mormons or something)

Although i have a really obscure view that you you get sent back to some form of collective soul pool and what ever is born next in your bracket (if we were to karamtise it) is what you get.

But back on the creature question, pretty sure anything beats the demon that runs around eating feacal matter, i think we can all agree.
completly irelivant if it exist ir not, but you know you dont get a choice, there seems to be an inherant contradiction, in those statements