Ideal Self-defense school?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, by this line of logic, people who learned everything from a grandmaster, about a TMA developed during a war 1000 years ago, have no business opening a dojo for that TMA.
If they’ve never actually used it, even in sparring - and are teaching it for actual application- yes.

But to your strawman, no.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ever heard anyone reference psychology, in explaining why you should choose a wrench over a hammer, and vice versa?
No, but if they talk about the thought process that leads someone to make a choice between two tools, it doesn’t matter if they use the word “psychology” or not - that’s what they are talking about.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
If they’ve never actually used it, even in sparring - and are teaching it for actual application- yes.

But to your strawman, no.
Ok, that is a consistent and agreeable argument.

We are talking about the process of knowledge transfer. How is this a strawman?

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but if they talk about the thought process that leads someone to make a choice between two tools, it doesn’t matter if they use the word “psychology” or not - that’s what they are talking about.
More—“what would you use, if this is your goal”

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
The average American thinks “what self-defense tool can I buy to protect myself from this threat.” Criminals think “what tools are readily available to me, that will work for the job?” I fail to see how learning to mirror this process falls into psychology.
I would aver the 'average American' doesn't give much thought to self-defense at all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, that is a consistent and agreeable argument.

We are talking about the process of knowledge transfer. How is this a strawman?
Your post was asserting that I essentially said nobody could teach something they’d learned from someone else. Which wasn’t close to my statements.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But no matter how much I read and am trained by someone, I don't think it would be a good idea to have me teaching how to handle firearm combat, for instance, since I've never been in that situation. I could teach some techniques that could work in a retention situation, and I can teach gun safety and target shooting (have done, in fact), and could even teach a bit about SD law in respect to firearms. But not combat in that context.
It's good to know what you don't know. When others don't, it can be a problem. Like when a civilian review board sits in judgement of an LEO involved in a shooting resulting in injury or death. Or a military court-marshal judging an ROE case made up of officers that have not seen combat. They don't understand that 20/20 hindsight and policies do not always coincide with the reality of split-second decisions. Some laws of physics don't apply at the quantum level. It is a humble and wise man that knows the limitations of his experience and defers to others who have walked the walk.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Abduction is kinda low on the spectrum of worries, but that’s not really the point of covering the material. It’s one thing to know how to fight, or see a fight coming. The point is anticipating criminals, through understanding them and their methods.
Do a cash in transit course. Same basic idea. A bit cheaper.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No one argues that it’s “better” than the original source. But frankly, there is not one discipline (including TMA) that doesn’t have some reliance on lineage for knowledge transference. Furthermore, sometimes the source is incapable of effectively transferring the knowledge, and someone else has to codify it on their behalf.

How many people do you know, that have taken life with street and improvised weapons? Blown a hole in someone with a revolver, contact shot? Made a critical immediate decision, in terms of situationational awareness? Abducted someone?—and can completely, clearly, articulate the process? Are you comfortable being taught by such a person?

Was Dr. Martin Fackler clueless about terminal ballistics, because he didn’t shoot people?

@Gerry Seymour
Chopper Ried. But he is dead now.

Of course he also made stuff up.

He did a stand up comedy tour about it.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your post was asserting that I essentially said nobody could teach something they’d learned from someone else. Which wasn’t close to my statements.
Your post focused on the necessity of instructors with personal experience. There are only so many ways I can interpret that.

Latest Discussions