Iaido

swordmaster52

White Belt
Reaction score
I've decided to take up iaido.Does anyone kniw a good dojo in the houston,cypress area of houston? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to fing one close enough.Ask.com,google,yahoo,and yelow pages have failed me,plz help.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided to take up iaido.Does anyone kniw a good dojo in the houston,cypress area of houston? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to fing one close enough.Ask.com,google,yahoo,and yelow pages have failed me,plz help.
You may have to really hunt around. Iaido, like many of the more traditional Japanese martial arts, is often not taught very openly or commercially. Instead, it may be a class meeting at a community center or attached to a martial arts studio. You may want to find the websites for some of the different organizations, and see if the organization can refer you to an instructor near enough to you. It's also quite possible that you won't find an instructor particularly close.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JKS is right. In fact, I would recommend you look for a school first, and then decide what sword art you want to study. I think you will find your choices seriously limited by what is available in your area.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you will find your choices seriously limited by what is available in your area.

That tends to be the case with whatever sword/weapon art you study. It is quite a challenge to find quality instruction in weapons arts. Above all, do your research.

Best regards,

-Mark

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Found this dojo through a listing online for schools affiliated with the All US Kendo Federation:

Houston Budokan
4230 Mangum [see map]
Houston, TX
http://www.houstonbudo.com/

M F 7pm Sa 3:30pm

Darrel Craig
(713) 682-9014
[email protected]

From their website, it appears they offer iaido and kobudo, plus several other disciplines.

Please let us know what you find, and how your training progresses.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whatever dojo you decide to take a look at, you should spend some time researching the instructor online. There is information available online about all three of the choices mentioned so far.