Iaido

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no clips that I'm aware of on the net, but if you all get a chance, I would highly recommend one of Kuroda sensei's seminars in Tamiya ryu Iaijutsu. He is nothing short of incredible. Very humble man....absolute joy to work with.

S

SPQR

I am looking for an iaido school in Chicago. Any suggestions?

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reprobate said:
Since we do not practice tameshigiri in our dojo, a shinken is not necessary for iai, but senior students are allowed to use a shinken instead of iaito.
I disagree. A shinken is not essential, but I DO believe it is necessary practice iai with a live blade to evolve it from waza & kata into a true sword art. The feeling of practicing with a shinken is very different from an iaito (as I'm sure you know...).

While I regularly return to practicing with bokken (and enjoy the experience), when I try to use my iaito, it feels lifeless by comparison to my shinken.

D

Digital Tracers

I started practicing Iadio 2 weeks ago with the Omaha Kendokai. Over 3 hour time period we start with Iaido, then into Kendo Kata, and finnaly dawning our Do and Men for full on sparring. Beginners start with Bokken (as to not loose a finger, or thier neighbors for that matter), and I had the luck of practicing with a dead steel iatio which proved difficult enough. Im a decent sized 21 year old male and I was having a heck of a time by the end of the hour just holding the blade up.

Amazing skill to learn and breathtaking to watch someone who knows what they are doing.

H

hippy

i train in iai-jutsu, i am currently a 1st dan black belt in this style.

the syllabus consists of a collection of individual draws, cuts, and chiburi.
we also do partner work with boken vs boken, boken vs bo, boken vs jo, boken vs wakazashi, wakazashi vs jo/bo/boken.

there are several combinations 4-5 moves each, 4 kata.
we dont specifically do the seitei forms, however i have gone to other schools to learn them, as i feel they are integral to sword arts.

we also allow beginners to use live blades (though not anyone under 16yrs old)
the student however can train with very blunt training blades if they wish, or use a 400 year old antique katana.
my personal blade of choice is a basic honami katana from
www.battleorders.co.uk, relatively cheap at £200 ($300 i think)

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technically iaijutsu is not a style. It's a type of martial art. Like karate, or kenjutsu. An example of a style of karate would be Uechi Ryu. An example of a style of kenjutsu would be Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu. What style of iaijutsu are you taking?

I ask because it is exceedingly unusual for beginners in most styles to start iai with a shinken. Noto and nukitsuke can be very dangerous for the untrained.

As for Seitei being integral to sword arts, how do you reckon Japanese swordsman ever got along without Seitei prior to the creation of the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei and the Seitei Iai set early last centruy?

N

Nikolas P.

Seitei gata integral to sword arts? Hardly — in my eyes, at least, it's more like a rather disappointing DRAIN on the arts. An unneccesary amalgamation and dilution. If you're going to try and make a "modern style," it should be by taking the best of the best, not just a random mish-mash.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suppose setei serves a purpose within the context of the kendo world. I won't outright condemn it as Nicholas has. I was just pointing out that it is hardly "integral".

Latest Discussions