iaido vs iaijutsu?

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if I'm correct, jutsu & jitsu are just different spellings of the same term. generally speaking, do arts are intended for moral & spiritual cultivation as much as martial application. jutsu/jitsu arts are more concerned with winning in conflict.
jf

Yes, that is my understanding as well. Iaido is for polishing the soul by perfecting the initial draw/cut and follow-through. This becomes crystal clear when embracing tameshigiri practice. Iaijutsu/iaijitsu/kenjutsu/kenjitsu would naturally follow, being the art & science of reacting to the response of one's opponent, after delivering the initial draw/cut and follow-through. To me, they have always seemed like the inside and outside of the same temple. Do = moving through the gate and out of the temple, jutsu = the journey that follows suit. Or maybe each aspect is an alternate tributary of the same rushing river? Or even, that each branch of the tree is an extension of the same root. These metaphorical branches express certain specific elements of the whole methodology of the sword. Such expressions as these JSA... Why wouldn't one want to study as many of them as circumstance allows for? After all, what's in a name?

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting.

Then again, as if to prove that I'm not some all knowing oracle of the sword arts, I've never heard of Iai Kenpo before either.

With not rudeness intended, what on earth is it? Iai Kenpo :confused:?

The official name of the Tradition is "Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo".

Definition of ‘Iai Kempo’

“Firstly if you break the characters down, 'I' (lit: sit/place in time/place where one exists) as we understand it means an environment or a threatening moment in time which forces the practitioner into action.
The 'ai' (lit: harmonization/blending/ to meet) signifies the practitioner identifying the threat and applying the most effective action, reactive or proactive, to it to achieve their aims.
In our tradition we train in the use of the sword to achieve those aims. This being the 'Kenpo' (lit: methods/teachings/skills of the sword).
Therefore, Iai Kenpo = the use of the sword to effect the most beneficial outcome from any threat or action of our opponent or arising from our environment.”

Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro serving as the 15th Headmaster of Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

Please visit our website for more more information on the Tradition:

http://suioryu-usa.org/

"Suio Ryu" and "Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo" are registered trademarks.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a nicely structured site, kusari.

In my googling, I did find it previously but as the information on the front end was the same as I'd seen elsewhere I didn't dig deeper in.

Sounds fascinating and I am truly surprised that I've not heard of it before, given that it seems to stand on similar ground as Katori.

Latest Discussions