I will be performing Chil-Sung E Lo!

Butch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
GM Lee Won Kuk started his school in 1944 during the occupation and used the kanji of karate-do with the Korean interpretation it became Tang Soo Do.
Here is a cut from wikipedia that explaines the characters, not the best sorce I know, but it is close.
Tang Soo Do (Hangul: 당수도) is the Korean pronunciation of the Chinese characters 唐手道. In Japanese, these characters mean "karate-do", but in contemporary Japanese karate-do is written with different characters (空手道). The Japanese pronunciation of both sets of characters is the same, but the newer version means "Way of the Empty Hand" rather than "Way of the T'ang (China) Hand", although it could also be interpreted as "Way of the China Hand".

As for other non-MDK Org.s out there they are very very few, but there are some JiDoKwan schools and one other that I have heard of but I haven't found them yet.
Take Care,
Butch

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kim Ki Whang is an interesting character. He learned Shudokan Karate among other styles and called it Tang Soo DO. Hwang Kee sent him here to teach Tang Soo Do for the Moo Duk Kwan, but when he was here, he didn't teach Moo Duk Kwan Style Tang Soo Do. He picked forms from Shudokan and taught a more flatfooted fugal jaseh. So while he does have some association with the Moo Duk Kwan him and his students do not practice TSD as it ws practiced in the MDK.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I'm familiar with Mr. McLain from many boards, and I practice the form Sabang Kwan (aka Shihoken, a derivative of Shisochin).