i want to learn to-shin do but there is 1 problem

night_warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
i was thinkg about starting to-shin do however the dojo is a 1 hour and 52 mins train ride. i was just wondering if any other people out there have the same problem and actually have to commute in order to what they want to do? as i need some reasurance, and its just the thought of traveling that long is putting me off.

Regards.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a long trip, but if you really want to learn it, it can be worth it. It may also be tough to stick with those kinds of demands.

Where you can take a train, you have the benefit of not having to worry about being alert enough to make a long drive home after a day of hard training.

My personal advice would be to give it a try, but explain to your Sensei how you are communting and do NOT sign a contract...just in case you find the travel to be too much.

You may find the trip to be enjoyable. Only one way to find out. Good luck to you!

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree. There are many that travel to study what they really want. Many are now respectable martial artist and even master practicioners.
The good thing about traveling is that you appreciate the training more because you sacrifice so much to get there. IMO

Good luck.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i was just wondering if any other people out there have the same problem and actually have to commute in order to what they want to do? as i need some reasurance, and its just the thought of traveling that long is putting me off.

Regards.

Well, buddy... look at it this way... your "founder" had to Travel from Dayton to Japan for his training... so, is an hour REALLY that far?

:D

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i was thinkg about starting to-shin do however the dojo is a 1 hour and 52 mins train ride. i was just wondering if any other people out there have the same problem and actually have to commute in order to what they want to do? as i need some reasurance, and its just the thought of traveling that long is putting me off.

Regards.

I travel 4.5 hours. I hope this puts your ride in perspective, but everyone has their own circumstances. You may have more demands at work/home which make your shorter commute more difficult.

In the end, hopefully what you are willing to put into training will be relative to what you get out.

Best wishes,

OP
N

night_warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
I travel 4.5 hours. I hope this puts your ride in perspective, but everyone has their own circumstances. You may have more demands at work/home which make your shorter commute more difficult.

In the end, hopefully what you are willing to put into training will be relative to what you get out.

Best wishes,

WOW that is a heck of a commute, i actually dont have any demands at home or work, wel for the time being. i suppose 2 hours aint too bad however its gonna cost me about 40 to 50 pounds every weekend that will be for my travelling and my lesson. But i suppose it could be worth it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Regards.

The best answer that I can come up with is "How bad do you want it?"

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have traveled for long, long distances in the past. Currently I travel four hours or more for one teacher, (round trip) four hours or slightly more for another teacher and two hours round trip for another. Granted I do not train with them all of the time just when life allows me to. However traveling for quality training is well worth it.
icon14.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I travel across the country to attend a seminar..For quality training time and money should not be an issue..

OP
N

night_warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks to all for your input, i'm feeling alot more at ease knowing i'm not the only one going through the same thing.
well looks like i will be starting To-shin do pretty soon.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well looks like i will be starting To-shin do pretty soon.

You are never alone in your question or concerns..Where you are now MANY of us have been...Keep us posted..

OP
N

night_warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
well i will be training at the quest dojo in Wirrla UK, the insturctor there is a Mr Dale Hesketh, he sounds like a nice stand up bloke too. Hopfully i should be able to pop down and train this Sunday if depending on the cash flow if not then it will be next saturday. But either way i cant wait. Should be a fun decent experience, and i do want to learn the true essence of Ninpo.

Also i have one more question, and sorry if this sounds a bit offensive, i know that the Genbukan and quest centres still stick to the Ninpo roots, but i have read somewhere that the Bujinkan has strayed away from Ninpo. Is this true?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i know that the quest centres still stick to the Ninpo roots, but i have read somewhere that the Bujinkan has strayed away from Ninpo. Is this true?

LOL!

OMG, OMG, OMG... I CANT... STOP... LAUGHING... CANT STOP...

Dude, seriously... you are too Funny. Quest, kept its roots, Bujinkan didnt...

HAHAHA. Oh, man... I cant wait to tell that one in class tonite.

Thanks, you made my day.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL!

OMG, OMG, OMG... I CANT... STOP... LAUGHING... CANT STOP...

Dude, seriously... you are too Funny. Quest, kept its roots, Bujinkan didnt...

HAHAHA. Oh, man... I cant wait to tell that one in class tonite.

Thanks, you made my day.

My thought exactly. And I train To-Shin-Do right now because it is the only thing within 6 hours that is even close to Bujinkan. (more so than other schools because we all started Bujimkan and didn't really follow the changes made when the schools changed to Hayes style of teaching.)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well i will be training at the quest dojo in Wirrla UK, the insturctor there is a Mr Dale Hesketh, he sounds like a nice stand up bloke too. Hopfully i should be able to pop down and train this Sunday if depending on the cash flow if not then it will be next saturday. But either way i cant wait. Should be a fun decent experience, and i do want to learn the true essence of Ninpo.

Also i have one more question, and sorry if this sounds a bit offensive, i know that the Genbukan and quest centres still stick to the Ninpo roots, but i have read somewhere that the Bujinkan has strayed away from Ninpo. Is this true?

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu or Hatsumi Sensei and his lineage from Takamatsu on down more specifically is where it all came from. (ie. Genbukan, Jinekan, To-Shin-Do though they also have other influences) The closest to the source would be those training with Hatsumi Sensei. That in no way takes anything away from those practicing Genbukan, Jinekan or To-Shin-Do. They are after all in so many ways sister arts so to speak and are very fine arts by themselves.

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

For your info and as you`re going to the Wirral, there is a Bujinkan Dojo there run by Brian Duckers 14th Dan who DOES travel to Japan twice a year to train with Hatsumi Soke, it`s in Bebbington, if you`re honestly interested i`ll give you his email, good luck in your training.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
when my place of training has been far away in the past, I would go 3 times a month or so, and do private lessons when I could. a private is like 3 classes in itself. also, with TSD you could get a video package to watch when you don't have classes. ...

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
WOW that is a heck of a commute, i actually dont have any demands at home or work, wel for the time being. i suppose 2 hours aint too bad however its gonna cost me about 40 to 50 pounds every weekend that will be for my travelling and my lesson. But i suppose it could be worth it.

Hi

As mentioned earlier if the training is of value to you then its worth the trip.

MY Instructor is located in London, some 196 miles from my door and a three hour trip each way, but the training is so worth it.

Where are you located?

I have a UK based dojo listings here that could help although its only Bujinkan..http://bujinkanbudodojos.myfreeforum.org/

I've heard good things about Dale in the Wirral but as Norman mentioned you have Brian there, well worth a visit.

What i did when i moved to a new area was travel round and try all the Dojos within a 200 mile radius and stick with the one you feel suits you best.

Gaz.

:)

ps i noticed in your profile you have the current grade of 9th Kyu in Bujinkan, whom do/did you train under?

easternstorm

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
there are To shin do groups in Bristol, Northampton, Derby, Nottingham and Scotland now.

Good luck in whatever system you choose.

Latest Discussions