I want to learn martial arts

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member here. I'm thinking about learning a martial arts for fitness and self-defence. The problem is I don't know how to start. I've been searching on google for hours so I decided to find forums like this.

I just want to ask what martial arts should I try? I seeing too many kinds of martial arts.
Also, do you know some place in London where can I find a teacher? Thank you! :)
I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding of my reply. I mean about that is when I already know what I want is that people here can answer my questions and give me advises atleast a hands up before my first training :)

My mistake no doubt. I guess I was keying off your first post. But you have received a lot of good advice. I wish you good luck in your search. Don't hesitate to ask any more questions. Most all here are friendly and willing to help. Tez3 has the advantage of being a long time martial artist and familiar with the distaff side of MA, and in your part of the world.

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My mistake no doubt. I guess I was keying off your first post. But you have received a lot of good advice. I wish you good luck in your search. Don't hesitate to ask any more questions. Most all here are friendly and willing to help. Tez3 has the advantage of being a long time martial artist and familiar with the distaff side of MA, and in your part of the world.

No problem :) I'll take your advise. Cheers!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are these folks you want to do potentially dangerous stuff with? Emotionally and physically dangerous...
I find that newbies typically aren't experienced enough or qualified to determine what is and what is not dangerous.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How does MMA differ from other martial arts?
Mma stands for mixed martial arts and its what it says on the tin. It's a sport that incorporates boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling and jiu jitsu. It's different because it works both striking and grappling whereas most focus on one element. The one thing it doesn't have that traditional styles does is defences against weapons (knives, guns, sticks) etc because there's no weapons in the sport

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that newbies typically aren't experienced enough or qualified to determine what is and what is not dangerous.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Which is why I put the emphasis on being in an environment where you are comfortable confronting potentially dangerous things, rather than identifying those things.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does MMA differ from other martial arts?
It's not drastically different, in technique. Think of it as a competition-oriented (usually) training that's not constrained by the boundaries of a single art. That latter is not unique to MMA, but some MA instructors prefer to stay within the bounds of their specific core art, rather than looking for new material from other arts. MMA doesn't seem to have hit that wall in any significant way. Some gyms still actually teach the separate arts (Muay Thai class, BJJ class, etc.), while others have even abandoned those designations and just have classes on "stand up fighting" and "ground fighting" or some similar structure.

Because it's usually oriented toward competition, the fitness component tends to be more present. Fighters need to be in shape to last long enough to win their fight.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll note this too. Thank you. Actually, I'm really thinking about that too. What makes a good instructor, the strict or the fun one :)
What do you like? You know you better than I know you... You know whether you need someone who'll keep you focused and on task so that "training" doesn't become a chatter circle or whether you'd lose your mind if someone (especially maybe younger than you!) was telling you what to do in their best drill instructor imitation... While those are extremes, perhaps a touch exaggerated for humor... that's the question. Because the truth is there are great instructors of both sorts out there...

OP
Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's not drastically different, in technique. Think of it as a competition-oriented (usually) training that's not constrained by the boundaries of a single art. That latter is not unique to MMA, but some MA instructors prefer to stay within the bounds of their specific core art, rather than looking for new material from other arts. MMA doesn't seem to have hit that wall in any significant way. Some gyms still actually teach the separate arts (Muay Thai class, BJJ class, etc.), while others have even abandoned those designations and just have classes on "stand up fighting" and "ground fighting" or some similar structure.

Because it's usually oriented toward competition, the fitness component tends to be more present. Fighters need to be in shape to last long enough to win their fight.

Like what I've read from others, it is like a freestyle form of martial arts right?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like what I've read from others, it is like a freestyle form of martial arts right?
Sort of, not really. Most 'MMA' instructors that I've seen will have experience in one or two striking arts, and one or two grappling arts (one example near me is muay thai, BJJ and judo). They (from my experience) will generally break classes into 'striking' and 'grappling', teach those arts, and have some form of combined class. Structured, just not focused on one art.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What makes a good instructor, the strict or the fun one :)

Either one can be great. Either one can be crappy.

Here are some general traits of a good instructor or either sort:

Understands the material well.
Can communicate the material well.
Understands what a given student needs to work on at the current point of their development.
Structures lessons to get good use out of available class time.
Inspires students to care about the art and train hard.
Looks out for the safety and well-being of students.

Whether the "drill sergeant" approach or the "let's all have fun and learn together" approach works better for you is totally a matter of your own personality and learning style.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would advise going in person and checking out the local schools and instructors in your area. Either watch or actually train to see if you enjoy the training experience. Once you do that you can make a determination on which instructor you think you would enjoy training with. Half the battle of training in the martial sciences is finding an instructor that inspires and teaches well. If you can find a person that does both you will probably be happy and enjoy the training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good enough working definition. In its initial definition, MMA was just a reference to a competition that allowed different arts with a ruleset that attempted to reduce the advantage of any single art (by not specifically favoring their approach). Now, it's also a training approach, and is starting to become a recognizable style.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you will have no problem finding a school. Now the questions you need to ask yourself is:
- "which school fits in your schedule?"
- "which school fits in your budget?"
And
- "when do you plan on joining?"
Also you may enjoy one style more than another so you may want to look around

Latest Discussions