I tried to bully a 6-year-old green belt and he outsmarted me

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Timing and distance control is key there.

Keep your distance first, they can't make a move on you without falling off the chair.

Then, being a kid they're easily distracted, so point behind them and say "look out!"

Use your timing to move in and commence the uppercut to coincide with them turning back to you to say "I didn't see anything".

Scenario training FTW.

Haha, very specific situation too! I'm sure the reality-based nuts will be all over that, adding it to their curriculum posthaste!

if they are standing on a chair........sweep the chair leg.

Haha but of course!

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Trade offs :)

Standing on the chair: you’ve got better uppercut angles, but risk the axe kick.

Standing on the floor: better hammer fist angle, but risk getting kicked in the nuts.

After my risk to reward assessment, I say stand them on the chair.

Axe kick to the head from a little kid is less painful than a kick to the nuts.

Blockability: a toss up.

Pain inflicted on them if you connect right: slight advantage to the uppercut.

Not enough of a net reward for the pain risk IMO.

Once again, stepping to the 45° has great value.
a good flyover for this concept:

Let them drop the axe kick where you were standing. Use their surpise to your advantage. Mae Geri the edge of the seat on the chair.

Observe their reaction to not having anything below their feet.

Extra points, if you bring the mae geri back to chamber... and tag them as they have their Wile E. Coyote moment.

wile-e-coyote.gif

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once again, stepping to the 45° has great value.
a good flyover for this concept:

Let them drop the axe kick where you were standing. Use their surpise to your advantage. Mae Geri the edge of the seat on the chair.

Observe their reaction to not having anything below their feet.

Extra points, if you bring the mae geri back to chamber... and tag them as they have their Wile E. Coyote moment.

View attachment 21821
Hahaha love it... and cool video!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I decided to do the thing bullies used to do to me when I was his size: put your hand on their head to keep them at a distance so they can't fight back.

This kid just turned his hips in and roundhouse kicked me right in the side.

6-year-old green belt taught this 30-year-old 3rd-degree black belt a new trick. Something I wish I knew when I was younger.
5006.gif

That's outstanding! Great story - we are never too old to learn from anybody, anywhere, any time.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be honest, I have a lot of trouble with 4 and 5 year olds. If I eventually open my own school I'd probably have a higher age minimum.
We start at 6. I just can't deal with the little munchkins. They make me want to teach using a whip and a chair.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We start at 6. I just can't deal with the little munchkins. They make me want to teach using a whip and a chair.
I once suggested that the youngest (at that school, 4-7) should be handled via a coat-check window. Parents drop them off, get a claim check. Duct-tape the child to a hanger, and put them on the corresponding peg on the wall. Easy to locate them when the parents come back, and leaves the floor space open for the rest of us to play.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If it were me in charge, I'd start at 7 lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s
I’d start at 17.
more or less what I’ve done up to this point (15 or 16). Probably going on to drop the minimum to 13 or 14 when I find a new space. I haven’t decided yet whether I’m happy about that.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That’s

more or less what I’ve done up to this point (15 or 16). Probably going on to drop the minimum to 13 or 14 when I find a new space. I haven’t decided yet whether I’m happy about that.
Happy or not about which one; new space or dropping the minimum age?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy or not about which one; new space or dropping the minimum age?
Well, since I don't yet have the new space, very much that, though I might be happy once I find one.

I'm not at all sure I'm happy about lowering the age. I'll only know when I see how the nature of the class changes. I haven't taught youths in an adult class, except where they'd already trained for a year or two (in NGAA, they have to complete the youth curriculum to start training the adult material prior to age 16-ish). Having them separate kept most of the "just there because parents said so" kids out of the adult classes - they'd normally only last a year, max.

Latest Discussions