I tried to bully a 6-year-old green belt and he outsmarted me

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had just finished with a Taekwondo belt test, and there was a green belt waiting for his parents to be ready to go. So I pulled him onto the mat for some light sparring. This is a kid that a few months ago was very sloppy and unfocused, but he was doing really good. His tactics, timing, and accuracy have gotten a lot better lately.

Well, I decided to do the thing bullies used to do to me when I was his size: put your hand on their head to keep them at a distance so they can't fight back.

This kid just turned his hips in and roundhouse kicked me right in the side.

6-year-old green belt taught this 30-year-old 3rd-degree black belt a new trick. Something I wish I knew when I was younger.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We had just finished with a Taekwondo belt test, and there was a green belt waiting for his parents to be ready to go. So I pulled him onto the mat for some light sparring. This is a kid that a few months ago was very sloppy and unfocused, but he was doing really good. His tactics, timing, and accuracy have gotten a lot better lately.

Well, I decided to do the thing bullies used to do to me when I was his size: put your hand on their head to keep them at a distance so they can't fight back.

6-year-old green belt taught this 30-year-old 3rd-degree black belt a new trick. Something I wish I knew when I was younger.
Show no mercy, once you go soft your soft for ever

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bold: You really think so? :p

Good on him, and you for giving him the credit without rancor. Thanks for the story. Some good lessons for us all in that encounter.

I hope you continue to work with him. He can learn good techniques obviously. You need to guide his thought processes/attitude as well, especially at that age. Don't let him get the big head and bully his classmates.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope you continue to work with him. He can learn good techniques obviously. You need to guide his thought processes/attitude as well, especially at that age. Don't let him get the big head and bully his classmates.

I don't think that's an issue at this point in time. He's actually gotten a much better attitude lately, and I think that's part of what's spurned this growth in skill.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think that's an issue at this point in time. He's actually gotten a much better attitude lately, and I think that's part of what's spurned this growth in skill.
humility+reflection is the catalyst for growth

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it!

I don't like teaching kids, as a rule, but there are moments that are worth the rest.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Love it!

I don't like teaching kids, as a rule, but there are moments that are worth the rest.

To be honest, I have a lot of trouble with 4 and 5 year olds. If I eventually open my own school I'd probably have a higher age minimum.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have a lot of trouble with 4 and 5 year olds. If I eventually open my own school I'd probably have a higher age minimum.
I can't handle the little ones. I do okay from about 8 up, and better if I stick to 12+.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you tried uppercuts against them. The key is to really get your legs and hips into the punch.....
Ahhhh see I wasn't getting my legs and hips into it... THAT'S what went wrong that one time! They are pretty short too so makes sense! [emoji14]

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh see I wasn't getting my legs and hips into it... THAT'S what went wrong that one time! They are pretty short too so makes sense! [emoji14]

Stand them on a chair first - it's an easier height target then.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
but they have a great vantage point for dropping the axe kick.

Timing and distance control is key there.

Keep your distance first, they can't make a move on you without falling off the chair.

Then, being a kid they're easily distracted, so point behind them and say "look out!"

Use your timing to move in and commence the uppercut to coincide with them turning back to you to say "I didn't see anything".

Scenario training FTW.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but they have a great vantage point for dropping the axe kick.
Trade offs :)

Standing on the chair: you’ve got better uppercut angles, but risk the axe kick.

Standing on the floor: better hammer fist angle, but risk getting kicked in the nuts.

After my risk to reward assessment, I say stand them on the chair.

Axe kick to the head from a little kid is less painful than a kick to the nuts.

Blockability: a toss up.

Pain inflicted on them if you connect right: slight advantage to the uppercut.

Not enough of a net reward for the pain risk IMO.

Latest Discussions