I no longer care about Jeet Kune Do

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • really so what % of 50 odd year old have competed, an army assialt course,? i think 1% a bit high, i know dozens of them and non of them have, but clearly you have figures i

No idea. It is accessible to more than 1%

Spartan has a 50 plus division. So there are enough people doing obstacles to make it viable.

And it is open entry to anyone.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No idea. It is accessible to more than 1%

Spartan has a 50 plus division. So there are enough people doing obstacles to make it viable.

And it is open entry to anyone.
well yea, you can hike acxross the artic ice cap if you want, just coz it accessible doesnt mean many people do it, certainly not old men,

now dont get me wrong, im a firm beliver, that 50 odd year okd could do it, that they can maibtain a very high level of fitness well into their 60s, just that the people who dothat are from observation of my contemporaries, a very small % of the whole, even more that once you have let yourself go, its difficult in the extreme to get it back again, your likely to have lost 20lbs of muscle mass by the time your in your 50s if youve been compartaivly sedimentary for the 20 years or so, just putting on that level of muscle mass can be taxibg in the extreme and take an excesivly long time in your 50s

which is why those that do sort themselves out tend to go for endurance rather than power sports, as the loss of muscle mass is less important and can even assist

Last edited:

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
straight back to the beginning, development at what, ? restance is resistance, you body nether knows nor cares what it is providing the resistance

isometrics, provided your actually using max effort and not half arsing it will make you mind blowingly strong, very quickly, if thats stronger/ faster than a bench press is difficult to say for definite, they are both good, one you can do sat in your arm chair, that gets my vote, if i could have one peice of equipment and no other it would be a cable pull machine, but i use bike innertubes instead, net savibg of 2k
i see you are 61. so my advice would be to get out your arm chair more often instead of trolling on here all day.
as to my age 54 i have always kept fit. i know over 50s who do tough mudder competitions so being in your 50s is a weak excuse because you are not in shape.
start going cycling or long walks, work on your hammie & stretch your muscles. I guarantee your lower back hurts sitting all day. working hip flexors & lower back hammies prevents shortening of muscles.
Use it or lose it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i see you are 61. so my advice would be to get out your arm chair more often instead of trolling on here all day.
as to my age 54 i have always kept fit. i know over 50s who do tough mudder competitions so being in your 50s is a weak excuse because you are not in shape.
start going cycling or long walks, work on your hammie & stretch your muscles. I guarantee your lower back hurts sitting all day. working hip flexors & lower back hammies prevents shortening of muscles.
Use it or lose it
im excesivly fit for a 61 one year old, i just dont waste time on training for an hour when i can get a better result in 5 minutes,

as for cycling im currently working my way up to a 300 mile tour, that however is time consuming, there is no way to train to cycle for 5 hours with out , spending 5 hours cycling

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
spending 5 hours cycling
well if you are doing this you need to train lower back, hammies(not just quads as you will get muscle imbalance) , abs. also upper back, neck. sorry but with a bullworker you won´t do this. I can also recommend a book i have from Bill pearl called getting stronger. It has training programmes for a lot of sports including cycling.
On a side note: although Bill Pearl was a champion bodybuilder he retired i think in 1971 from competition & for several years took up serious cycling. read the book.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well if you are doing this you need to train lower back, hammies(not just quads as you will get muscle imbalance) , abs. also upper back, neck. sorry but with a bullworker you won´t do this. I can also recommend a book i have from Bill pearl called getting stronger. It has training programmes for a lot of sports including cycling.
On a side note: although Bill Pearl was a champion bodybuilder he retired i think in 1971 from competition & for several years took up serious cycling. read the book.
the best training for cycling is cycling and i do plenty of that, my few mins a day training is all the,strengh training i need, obviously or id do more,

you can train hard or you can train long, you cant do both, and mine is seriously hard

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here do this. Lunges notice why you train Hip flexors ... read & learn.
The Best Strength Exercises for Cyclists | TrainingPeaks
my cycling doesnt need strengh it needs endurance, im going far not fast, when i started again after a 4 year lay off my hip flexers were a major problem, i had to walk 15 miles home one night,, as they wouldnt do another pedal stroke, that was two months ago, there fine now, its my quads that pack up, , it lack of glucose, i think, they will get there, im not going till april, the problem i have now, isnt doing the time or the distance, its doing it everyday

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
my cycling doesnt need strengh it needs endurance, im going far not fast, when i started again after a 4 year lay off my hip flexers were a major problem, i had to walk 15 miles home one night,, as they wouldnt do another pedal stroke, that was two months ago, there fine now, its my quads that pack up, , it lack of glucose, i think, they will get there, im not going till april, the problem i have now, isnt doing the time or the distance, its doing it everyday
it´s also about injury prevention. i had a mate who was a footballer (soccer) & a very good runner & i can tell you he had a few injuries mainly due to not enough stretching & target weight training. He also started to do shotokan karate with me. he was as stiff as a board. had nothing but problems with kicks & as you maybe know deep stances typical in shotokan ground school. upper strength got somewhat better with the kata training but he was never able to reach his true potential. look at a simple stiff legged deadlift or romanian deadlift. perfect. you spoke about not wasting time them try them it works all the important muscles.
ever heard pof POF Training with steve holman ? The three phases of a muscle. contraction, stretch , midrange. pof stands for positions of flexion. the stiff legged deadlift trains midrange & stretch.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He said the courses never used it, not that Atlas never did.
yeah was a long time ago my older brother had a course from him. Was like pushing against walls & stuff isometrics. even weight training around that time had "Isometric power racks". seen pictures of bruce lee using one.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sorry but i can´t agree with this. I worked in Gyms & there are more people over 50 training more than ever. I trained a lot of older people. It´s also important to weight train as you get older for bone density.
Bone density enhanced by weight training in the elderly – Nursing Home and Assisted Living Information (nursinghomediaries.com)
what are you bot ageeing' with' resistance traing has masive benefits ' and the older you get the more beifit it gives you' not to improve but to slow down d3generation'

but the fact remain' that by the age of 50 most people who havent spent the intervening 20 years resistance training' will have lost 15 to 20lbs of muscle' puttibg that back is the devils own job when your lacking test and growth hormone' do able perhaps but really not at all easy'

people who do go back to sport ' tend to migrate to endurance sport' rather than power events' as the loss of muscle mass is less telling' if your doing a half marathon ' rather than the 400 m hurdles

Last edited:

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
what are you bit ageeing
no disrespect but are you drinking?
tumblr_mt3imbsS4g1qedb29o1_500.gif

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im tea total'

where did you get your personal trainer cert from?' id ask for my money back
you can´t even remember your own posts & you write sentences that are like a 10 year old wrote it.

Latest Discussions