I need help with finding a new fighting stance

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is this will add 1 extra step in your move. It may make 1 into 1,2 or 1,2 into 1,2,3.

In the following clip, if you have right leg forward, you can hop in with 1 move to take your opponent down. If you have left leg forward, your extra step will slow down your attack.

So you use a different technique in that case, and save that for when the stances match up (waiting for the opportunity). Or you find out what you can use that extra step for (preliminary strike, structure breaking, etc.), so it's not a problem.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you slide, you make yourself light. You want to be heavy for grappling.
I don't think that's universally true. Much of my defense in grappling starts with making it difficult for them to break structure (prevent the entry), which doesn't depend on being heavy. Once the grappling gets close (they're actually starting technique), heavy is more important.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think that's universally true. Much of my defense in grappling starts with making it difficult for them to break structure (prevent the entry), which doesn't depend on being heavy. Once the grappling gets close (they're actually starting technique), heavy is more important.

Which would apply to avoiding entries, not making them.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are a right hand person, your right hand is more skillful than your left hand. When you put your right side forward, your right hand will have longer reach than your left hand has. In wrestling, you want to put your stronger weapon as close to your opponent as you can.

That goes with the Chinese maxim nearest weapon to closest target. It would make sense then that you would want to attack with the strongest hand.

But in practice, we don't typically see haymaker overhand right or roundhouse show up very much in cma, but in European MA and mma it is very common.

This could be a body mass issue vs power generation issue.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kind of a bad analogy to refer to the engine...

It's fairly easy to stick an electric motor into an IC car (there was a project a few years ago for an electric land rover, unbolt engine and gearbox, drop in electric gubbins).

Brakes would be just as easy, only complicated if you want regenerative braking.

The air-conditioning would actually be the hardest part to exchange ;)

So, you could make it a better analogy by swapping it around.

Instead of making the car fit the engine, you have to make the ancillaries fit.

The ancillaries are the specific techniques btw - the big stuff is easy, it's the little stuff that make it difficult when you add them up.
Sigh. Ok, bad analogy, showing off my lack of automotive mechanical knowledge.

I do however stand by my comments that some systems function on a different engine than others do, and that makes them awkward to mix. Not always every single bit of them, but in general.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I do however stand by my comments that some systems function on a different engine than others do, and that makes them awkward to mix. Not always every single bit of them, but in general.

Taekwondo and boxing do use different footwork, as has been said in this thread and has been stated in numerous other posts on the subject (including by me). However, I have seen people from both groups use the footwork of the other in their matches, and how well it works.

In TKD training, you are trained to step through your punches and kicks. This results in switching your lead side constantly. But often times in WT sparring, people will prefer sliding kicks, which are like the leg version of a boxing jab. It doesn't look much like the footwork you would use in forms or traditional training, but looks like you would expect a boxer to move and throw combinations, if the boxer was punching with his feet.

In Boxing, you are trained to always stay in orthodox stance, to never cross your feet, and to always slide when you move. But there was a video recently of a boxer with a revolutionary style of footwork (I can't remember his name, but it was posted here a few months ago), and he was using the TKD footwork. He would step through a right cross to set up a left cross, if the left cross was available. It was textbook traditional footwork, used in boxing.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do they solve that problem?

One of my students who is a right hand person. he always puts his left side forward during striking. All my wrestling training are right side forward. He either has to give up his

- back right major hand knock down power, or
- front right major hand longer reach.

If someone moves to your left, you box. If someone moves to your right, you wrestle.

If you are a right hand person, your right hand is more skillful than your left hand. When you put your right side forward, your right hand will have longer reach than your left hand has. In wrestling, you want to put your stronger weapon as close to your opponent as you can.

My cross has a longer reach than my jab. When I throw the cross, my hips turn and my right shoulder is pushed forward.

If I need to close the distance, I can slide forward with my left jab, or step forward with my right reverse punch.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah, just got to tweak your analogy ;)

Some stuff will be instantly compatible.

Some stuff will work but possibly be on the limit of available adjustment.

Some stuff needs major surgery and may not remain recognisable.

Some stuff will just never fit.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But there was a video recently of a boxer with a revolutionary style of footwork (I can't remember his name, but it was posted here a few months ago), and he was using the TKD footwork. He would step through a right cross to set up a left cross, if the left cross was available. It was textbook traditional footwork, used in boxing.
You may be thinking of Lomachenko.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
In TKD training, you are trained to step through your punches and kicks.

Interesting...the style my son trains (Korean karate) they dont step through with their punches and switch stances. With kicks they will do both (step through and return to same stance) depending on the circumstance.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting...the style my son trains (Korean karate) they dont step through with their punches and switch stances. With kicks they will do both (step through and return to same stance) depending on the circumstance.

Do they do forms?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes but I dont know if they are TKD forms.... probably karate forms

Either way, they probably step through and punch in the forms. Or do they slide in the forms like you would in boxing?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My point was how contrasting styles can work together.

The point diversified.

You implied that punches and kicks always step through in forms.

There are punches and kicks in our patterns that don't step through, using either front or rear hand/leg.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like it's just going to be one of those weeks for you lol. I understand what you are saying, but I think everyone is talking about different things and that's where the misunderstanding is.

Latest Discussions