I may be a Wing Chun guy after-all....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
....WHO KNEW!!!!!

I'll will still, hopefully, be doing taijiquan, but Xingyiquan is very likely done. It is explained in more detail in my blog

Out with the old, kicking and screaming all the way....in with the old..no wait... I mean new.... surprisingly...

I have had many joint issues over the last few years and the most recent knee surgery is not going well as far as recovery is concerned. And all things Xingyiquan cause pain in my hips and knees for 1 to 2 days afterwards. I can't even do Yang style Taijiquan at this time, my knees simply will not allow it. I can almost do a Sun Style short form, but no Yang, not even Cheng Manching style.

About a week ago I decided to give Siu Nim Tao a try and, much to my surprise, this is helping my knees. And even more surprising, now that I have started (of all things) chair yoga, I feel better than I have in weeks. Still not 100%, but better. And that combination started yesterday, and I believe it help me avoid a cortisone shot today.

If I do continue with Wing Chun, I will be contacting my second shifu to see if he is still teaching. I have stayed in contact with him, and I know he is training, but I am not sure he is still teaching. If he is, I will meet with him, let him tell me how horrible my Siu Nim Tao is now, correct it, and go on from there.

Also, I am now reading
“Simply Wing Chun Kung Fu” by Sifu Shaun Rawcliffe.

After that is done I plan on rereading
“Wing Chun Martial Arts, Principles & Techniques” by Yip Chun with Danny Conner.
"Wing Chun Kung Fu, Traditional Chinese Kung Fu for Self-Defense and Health” by Ip Chun with Michael Tse

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can take the boy out of Wing Chun but you can't take the WIng Chun out of the boy.

Happy training!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is.... SO cool Xue. Really great to hear, love hearing this sort of thing. Let us know how you go along your return to Wing Chun :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Or I may not be a Wing Chun guy,

Not sure which one is causing me a lot of knee pain at the moment, Siu Nim Tao, Chen style silk reeling or both in combination. Like Santi Shi of Xingyiquan, things were going great for a while, longer than with Santi Shi actually, but then it began to hurt and at the moment, standing just on my right leg is not a good thing and it does not always support me. A lot of pain, and pressure, in the joint. I see the MD again on the 22nd of this month.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not sure which one is causing me a lot of knee pain at the moment, Siu Nim Tao, Chen style silk reeling or both in combination.
Apologies, I noticed that your other thread about Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma has departed a bit from your OP. So I thought I would comment here as it still seems related.

How's it going with altering your YJKYM while in Siu Nim Tao? Will your instructor allow you to attend class and teach you with a wider stance?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Apologies, I noticed that your other thread about Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma has departed a bit from your OP. So I thought I would comment here as it still seems related.

How's it going with altering your YJKYM while in Siu Nim Tao? Will your instructor allow you to attend class and teach you with a wider stance?

Thank you for asking, but, currently it is not going at all, knee is not happy and until I see the MD, nothing much is going to happen

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for asking, but, currently it is not going at all, knee is not happy and until I see the MD, nothing much is going to happen
I wish you the best, and most importantly, a quick recovery! I have confidence that when your knee is sorted you will be able to continue your Gong Fu journey, no matter the form in which you practice.

Latest Discussions