I lucked out and passed my Purple belt

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Way to go on passin the test, Matt! Ahh... There's nothing like the smell of fresh new material...

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wade,

To answer your question. Purple is a gup rank belt in TKD. I am still striving for dan. Same for Brown in Hapkido, a gup rank belt. However......I am a 2nd dan in Judo. I teach Judo 2x a week at the school.

Sorry for the confusion.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so I have answered Matt once in private and now in public, Matt, thanks for clearing things up for me. Once again, congratulations on the promotion.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. However I was told a pleasant suprise, since during the purple belt test I did the brown belt requirements I was double promoted. So I got my brown in TKD and Hapkido. Go figure. Me being me, I was astonished. However, it is "Bad Form" to question the decision making of the GM of the Organization.

I most humbly accepted it. GM told me "I don't know anyone off hand who is less selfish and has the passion for technique and helping everyone like you do." "To top it off you aren't even aware of you doing it. You just humbly help just because you are being you."

It is humbling to hear such a thing from an 8th dan in TKD, 6th dan in Hapkido, and a person that trust me to test him and another master in Tae Kwon Do for their Dan rankings in Judo.

Well, my father is extremely humble. No doubt about it, however isn't every good black belt instructor no matter a 1st dan to GM? Too many times I have seen crazy egomaniacs that become that way when they first get the good ole black strap. It's too bad that a lot of them actually get worse as their belt ranking increases.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whoa! You passed twice???

Whoa!

Congratulations!

That happens very rarely, at least in my school. Right, don't question this. That's really almost like an insult, isn't it?

And, yes, its VERY easy for people to get the big head. It happened to me, but was corrected.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was double promoted. So I got my brown in TKD and Hapkido. Go figure. Me being me, I was astonished.

I most humbly accepted it. GM told me "I don't know anyone off hand who is less selfish and has the passion for technique and helping everyone like you do." "To top it off you aren't even aware of you doing it. You just humbly help just because you are being you."
Congratulations again, Matt! And now we can add *integrity* to the list, because you're the same person on MT whom your GM described after the test. Good things sometimes happen to good people. :asian: :D

Last edited:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Double promotions are, generally, very rare - and also, generally only given to those who are truly deserving. Congratulations! :asian:

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all very much, again. I haven't tested in Tae Kwon Do since Nov. 2006. I learned all the material, worked all the material and just kept going. It was crazy. GM told me after he told me I also passed brown belt. "You are so unassuming of just how talented you are, you're students love you and the rest of us in St. L just really having you around."

I said "Thank you sir, I don't see it I just do what I do and see how it goes."

Jeez, thanks again everyone. A year and a half for 3rd dan in judo. About 2 more years roughly for dan in Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do.

Here's to good discipline. However, and I reiterate, I want my Judo students to become better practitioners than I was. I was actually humbled this weekend at the tournament, my entire class was there considering they do Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido as well. Man, St. L was prominent number wise. Besides myself, GM, Master's Rick Schutt, Bill Evans, and Mr. Dustin Wheeler we had 10 gup rank students in competition in multiple events and never placed out of the top three.

GM and the rest of us were so happy for them. It was great and no one got hurt. That was the best part no one got hurt in hapkido form, poomsea, or sparring.

Latest Discussions