i like the thing bruce lee did for blocking

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce really only did that stuff in his movies. Even he admitted he fought totally different in real life than in his films.

That kind of Wing Chun training is not very useful.

Lets try to make a greater effort to get away from statements like these. First of all it could be very disrespectful to a individual who is training in Wing Chun. Secondly, its a blanket or general statement that just is not true. Sticky hands is certainly a skill that is useful in a real fight, however one must train to be capable of properly executing any drill or excersise.

its useful for learning to feel and react to energy... and that can have applications in a fight... but that drill its self will not help somebody in a fight...

The concepts of flow and redirection which is what Chi Sau is about will help almost anyone that trains in Wing Chun in a real fight situation. Honestly, do most of you who assume so much about this, think it was created and still practiced today just to honor lineage?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At applying it in real fighting he was. He was training with WSL not Yip Man for 2 years atleast 6 hours daily before moving to US. WSL was his main influence as you can tell when you watch Bruce perform the first form. WSL said Bruce was one of the best fighters in applying WC for real. Not knowing all the forms and stuff he wasn't.

You've hit the nail on the head. In every generation there are top fighters and then those who really know the system. For example, Grandmaster Yip Man's first sifu Chan Wah Shun was unsurpassed as a fighter in his prime, but later Yip Man met Leung Bik, the son of his Si-gung Leung Jan, and it was he who truly knew the system. In our own time there are numerous examples. In the Wing Chun community, Emin Boztepe has rightly earned a rep as a fighter, but I believe there are others that have deeper understanding. Rarely, the fighter and master theorist are one in the same. I believe Grandmaster Yip was one of these uncommon individuals. So too was Bruce Lee.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At applying it in real fighting he was. He was training with WSL not Yip Man for 2 years atleast 6 hours daily before moving to US. WSL was his main influence as you can tell when you watch Bruce perform the first form. WSL said Bruce was one of the best fighters in applying WC for real. Not knowing all the forms and stuff he wasn't.

Heck, you may be right. I'm neither Wing Chun nor JKD. This is just what Mitch Mayburry told me. I have no idea who WSL even is. I never knew Yip Man nor Bruce Lee, But Mitch knew them both. I therefore am more inclined to believe his story, than most other people's. And this is not based on any affinity for Mr. Mayburry. He doesn't have a whole lot of respect for my organization or the Shaolin Temple. And he strikes me as a Budda-head. However, Mitch is indeed a student of Yip Man, and knew Bruce Lee. I didn't, and am inclined therefore to take his story at face value, since I don't personally know anyone else who knows them both.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed you are not going to be standing there with your forearm crossed with your attacker waiting to do pak sau . You would bridge the gap with a low heel kick or small step then then apply the pak sau only if his arm is guarding your target ( his head) otherwise just strike straight through. If he pak sau's you counter with a high bong sau, then latch and strike through.

Latest Discussions