I like the direction

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Head movement in WC. I would think that combining boxing, whether it be western/Thai/Sanda in combination with WC, would be beneficial. Or make WC work in the way you need it to work and not worry so much about how it looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
"In the words of Bruce Lee, “style is a crystallization.” The moment you dictate a specific way that a technique should be practiced, you also risk creating shortcomings in such techniques that are overlooked at the time."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"In the words of Bruce Lee, “style is a crystallization.” The moment you dictate a specific way that a technique should be practiced, you also risk creating shortcomings in such techniques that are overlooked at the time."
You posted that as a response to another thread. Is it an answer to everything?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great example of "Wing Chun Boxing." ;) Evasive head movement with a cuff, low kick, and shovel hooks to the body.

But again head movement is not always reactionary.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always found it strange how most Wing Chun people just stand still with their head and chin raised up. It's not the way that I was taught. I was taught plenty of head movement once I got the basics down. I'm happy others are adding it in.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awareness (due to the presence of digital media)is at an all time high, and mystical woowoo is being rooted out as a result. For TMA it is evolve or die.

As a result, we are seeing both happen. IMO this is a good thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always found it strange how most Wing Chun people just stand still with their head and chin raised up. It's not the way that I was taught. I was taught plenty of head movement once I got the basics down. I'm happy others are adding it in.

It is easier structurally to patty cake with your head upright and centered. Like punching, it is easier to punch with your fists about shoulder level.

So people gravitate to the success they get from the feedback they get.

I was thinking of a metaphor for this the other day as it is quite common.

So if I put a plank a foot off the ground and said the best method to cross it is to butt scoot across. It just wouldn't make sense as you can walk across a lot easier.

Same plank a hundred feet off the ground and butt scooting may look like a more sensible option.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is easier structurally to patty cake with your head upright and centered. Like punching, it is easier to punch with your fists about shoulder level.

So people gravitate to the success they get from the feedback they get.

I was thinking of a metaphor for this the other day as it is quite common.

So if I put a plank a foot off the ground and said the best method to cross it is to butt scoot across. It just wouldn't make sense as you can walk across a lot easier.

Same plank a hundred feet off the ground and butt scooting may look like a more sensible option.
I like that analogy, DB. I'm stealing it, and nobody will ever hear from me that it's not mine. :D

Latest Discussions