I have been working on a book

SeekGuidance

White Belt
Reaction score
From all of the experiences I have lived through, not many I am 16, and fights I've seen and from the styles I trained I wish to know what you think of a book I wish to publish in the future - a short extract:
-----------
The Mind

The human mind is something that has puzzled many people over generations; it is a complex thing to understand as it differs from one person to another. Many might argue that the brain is the same for everyone, or with little variety. However, the mind differs from the brain – it’s something transcendent that allows us to say things without speaking them out to aloud. To predict scenarios, outcomes and to solve problems we encounter everyday and helps us to interact with others and the setting around us. Due to its unimaginable power, it’s not just confined to the brain or the body as it’s something with correlations to the physical world, but its origin is not of it.

The martial artist and the warrior utilise this power to its full potential power. Strengthening the mind allows for calm amongst the most chaotic moments – and a little calm goes a long way. Let’s imagine two prominent martial artists: each of them similar in every way as they train the same style and have the same skill, height, body mass etc. The one who panics and gives in to the adrenaline rush, and cannot control his emotions and has not tamed his mind will succumb to nothing but natural instincts, such as flinching from strikes and blinking away. I have seen it happen to experienced boxers at my gym, and capoeristas in the roda (Capoeira’s way of “sparring”). I have had first hand experience with it myself too; losing your cool is a by-product of not being able to tame the mind and emotions correctly and of fear too. I am not telling you that you should restrict the mind and the emotions – but for calm, you must separate both and use them to positively to affect your fighting spirit and technique. When you fight, the only feeling you should empty your heart for is fury or anger. You surely must have heard: “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog”. The tiniest warrior can pummel the biggest behemoth if he’s angry enough. In the same way, allow yourself to let the anger free, but also use your mind to keep in control. Be calm in the mind but furious in the body and the heart.

Mental fortitude is achieved through many different ways. Some choose meditation, with the goal being to heal their body. Others, listen to audiobooks to gain confidence and freedom in the mind. Yet, I have always found that (for myself) the best way to achieve such confidence and inner strength of the mind is a more pro-active manner. In the military, each time a soldier wakes up their first task is to do their bed. Having a task achieved in the first five minutes of a long and gruelling day, can have an enormous effect. As you continue to do this, you will notice yourself placing more effort in any task as you gain willpower to carry things through to the end. Perseverance is key to fortifying the mind; a fortified mind is key to winning the fight.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offence but I wouldn't buy a book about martial arts written by a 16 year old. If I buy a martial arts book it'll be either because they're very experienced or they've got something new to offer or they're a big name. You don't have those things, this isn't meant as disrespectful but you're 16 I've been training longer than you've been alive same with a lot of this forum I don't think you'll have much unique insights to anyone.

Your extract is proof all you do is talk about theories that have been around for years and years. Again no disrespect meant but I think you should focus more on training and getting and if you want to write a book later then go for it but right now personally I'd recommend against it.

OP
S

SeekGuidance

White Belt
Reaction score
No offence but I wouldn't buy a book about martial arts written by a 16 year old. If I buy a martial arts book it'll be either because they're very experienced or they've got something new to offer or they're a big name. You don't have those things, this isn't meant as disrespectful but you're 16 I've been training longer than you've been alive same with a lot of this forum I don't think you'll have much unique insights to anyone.

Your extract is proof all you do is talk about theories that have been around for years and years. Again no disrespect meant but I think you should focus more on training and getting and if you want to write a book later then go for it but right now personally I'd recommend against it.
Thanks, no disrespect taken.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not bad for a 16 year old, but I would not buy it. Your observations are sort of obvious and derivative. I get a sense of having heard a lot of this warrior stuff before in Martial Arts movies and even stuff like Star Wars, which itself is sort of derivative of old Kung Fu movies and TV shows. Also, you need to avoid using cliches ("it isn't the size of the dog in the fight.") as in book length form, using these things as a crutch to make up for original writing gets annoying to read.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
From all of the experiences I have lived through, not many I am 16, and fights I've seen and from the styles I trained I wish to know what you think of a book I wish to publish in the future - a short extract:
-----------
The Mind

The human mind is something that has puzzled many people over generations; it is a complex thing to understand as it differs from one person to another. Many might argue that the brain is the same for everyone, or with little variety. However, the mind differs from the brain – it’s something transcendent that allows us to say things without speaking them out to aloud. To predict scenarios, outcomes and to solve problems we encounter everyday and helps us to interact with others and the setting around us. Due to its unimaginable power, it’s not just confined to the brain or the body as it’s something with correlations to the physical world, but its origin is not of it.

The martial artist and the warrior utilise this power to its full potential power. Strengthening the mind allows for calm amongst the most chaotic moments – and a little calm goes a long way. Let’s imagine two prominent martial artists: each of them similar in every way as they train the same style and have the same skill, height, body mass etc. The one who panics and gives in to the adrenaline rush, and cannot control his emotions and has not tamed his mind will succumb to nothing but natural instincts, such as flinching from strikes and blinking away. I have seen it happen to experienced boxers at my gym, and capoeristas in the roda (Capoeira’s way of “sparring”). I have had first hand experience with it myself too; losing your cool is a by-product of not being able to tame the mind and emotions correctly and of fear too. I am not telling you that you should restrict the mind and the emotions – but for calm, you must separate both and use them to positively to affect your fighting spirit and technique. When you fight, the only feeling you should empty your heart for is fury or anger. You surely must have heard: “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog”. The tiniest warrior can pummel the biggest behemoth if he’s angry enough. In the same way, allow yourself to let the anger free, but also use your mind to keep in control. Be calm in the mind but furious in the body and the heart.

Mental fortitude is achieved through many different ways. Some choose meditation, with the goal being to heal their body. Others, listen to audiobooks to gain confidence and freedom in the mind. Yet, I have always found that (for myself) the best way to achieve such confidence and inner strength of the mind is a more pro-active manner. In the military, each time a soldier wakes up their first task is to do their bed. Having a task achieved in the first five minutes of a long and gruelling day, can have an enormous effect. As you continue to do this, you will notice yourself placing more effort in any task as you gain willpower to carry things through to the end. Perseverance is key to fortifying the mind; a fortified mind is key to winning the fight.
Not meaning to offend, but this comes off as if it were written by a 16 year old with very little experience in fighting, the martial arts, or life in general. Which, I guess, it was.

Best of luck in your endeavors.