I have a general question

G

GouRonin

High kicks are great. The higher the better. Plus, if you keep them up longer it's good too because it gives me more time to 1) kick out your supporting leg or in the groin or 2) let me shoot in and ground and pound.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bah Gou! A kick to the head should really only be used to knock someone the heck out when they are already either stunned or blinking from something else. (ie. punches to the face) Anyone who lauches a head level kick while you stand there ready to counter,shoot for a take down or intercept is risking ALOT. When you watch a Thai boxing match for instance, the fighters usually only let fly a head level kick when they have the advantage and are already sending their opponent reeling. Of course theres always exceptions to the rule.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

G

GouRonin

If you're going to kick to the head really, the opponent should be lying on the ground.

B

Battousai

I've never heard that Cthulhu, but it does make alot of sense!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The kick to the head is usually the finishing move, the insurance that he won't get up in the next 10 seconds. Otherwise the fight might go on and then the fighter could possibly lose. BUT on the street, often the head opens up as a target when they are doubled over or on one knee, I think anyone regardless of martial art would probably think that in that circumstance a good hoof to the noggin would be safe since it is technically a low kick.

Now I'm not saying this is the case for you but!!..... I have found that the greatest supporters of NOT kicking to the head often can't kick to the head..... I can kick to the head just fine but I feel it has it's time and place, it isn't something I would want to do in a tight spot..except for that one time I did exactly just that.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

G

GouRonin

if I was to kick to the head I'd bring it from an obscure angle such as a rising sidekick or a front ball/heel kick. The swinging roundhouse kick for me just seems too obvious.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Obvious to us ya... and to any experienced martial artists. I have repeatedly thrown kicks at my buddies heads just for laughs when we're out (they don't train in anything) and they have yet to put their hands in the right spot or to even duck. Not like that experiment really counts for anything but.... your average shmoe won't see it coming like we would. The same can be said for a simple right cross too though....you and I might recognise the turning of the shoulder but many people will not.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right term for the kick.

But if someone did a side kick? Thats at side level I don't know the name of the kick that is above waist level, its at neck level but your side is facing the opponent.

I was wondering if someone wasn't paying attention and you kick them right in the neck that this too might be an effective way of severly injuring someone but ending a fight quickly.

Like say a drunk guy was attacking you and you take a step back and kick him in the throat.

I always thought it cheap to hit someone who is semi consious on the ground.

The reason I like to hold kicks or the reason I like to think I like to hold kicks, is so I can develop muscles in my legs to beable to do that, and to create good balance.

This brings up another question, does anyone know methods to avoid being pushed over and such?

I've read articles of a guy who was interviewing a master and tried pushing him over and couldn't while he was sitting down and things like this.

Like I'll be walking in the hall way and randomly get shoved by a friendly in a jokingly manner but since I"m walking I have to walk a couple steps to regain balance, I woudln't mind if I was able to just take the push without moving and not have to regain balance.

This would work if someone in a threatening situation shoved you, you could recover faster and be more ready to accept a blow or dodge it without getting knocked on your @$$ the first hit.

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Carbon

I don't know if this is the right term for the kick.

But if someone did a side kick? Thats at side level I don't know the name of the kick that is above waist level, its at neck level but your side is facing the opponent.

I was wondering if someone wasn't paying attention and you kick them right in the neck that this too might be an effective way of severly injuring someone but ending a fight quickly.

Like say a drunk guy was attacking you and you take a step back and kick him in the throat.

The reason I like to hold kicks or the reason I like to think I like to hold kicks, is so I can develop muscles in my legs to beable to do that, and to create good balance.

This brings up another question, does anyone know methods to avoid being pushed over and such?

I've read articles of a guy who was interviewing a master and tried pushing him over and couldn't while he was sitting down and things like this.

Like I'll be walking in the hall way and randomly get shoved by a friendly in a jokingly manner but since I"m walking I have to walk a couple steps to regain balance, I woudln't mind if I was able to just take the push without moving and not have to regain balance.

This would work if someone in a threatening situation shoved you, you could recover faster and be more ready to accept a blow or dodge it without getting knocked on your @$$ the first hit.

Where do kids come up withthis stuff?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on being shoved and not getting knocked on ones *** - has to do with balance, rooting and stance. Theres a few folks here who can elaborate on it better than me. (I still wobble) ;)

kicks - in my experience, one shouldn't kick high if they have poor balance. You put yourself at more risk than its worth, plus unless you are lightning quick, you'll telegraph the move, and give your opponent the chance to prepare to counter. Keep in mind, in an actual fight, responce time can be counted in the fractions of a second.

another thing to keep in mind, the law. Yes, if you can pull off the move, it'll in all likelyhood end the fight. Folks with broken necks usually dont move too fast. The law however, will probably throw the book at you, as I believe thats considered lethal force, and unless your life was really in danger, you lose. Head and throat shots are considered to be attempts to kill. That crosses the line in most cases from self-defence to homiside (attempted).

The law tends to take a hard stance on Bruce Lee wannabes. Even if you are completely in the right.

Another reason to avoid the high kicks is as Gou said, it opens you up to the crotch shot. Squeeking Baaaad. :)

:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another though on the 'non-movable object' concept.

sink down into a slightly bent leg stance. imagine your feet rooted into the ground, like tree roots, and a pole through the center of your body (top to bottom) that is also inserted deep into the ground.

Now have someone give you a light shove.

If you've done it right, you may hold steady.

This is a simplification of an exercise I worked with a friend once. 5 years later, still aint got it quite right. He on the other hand, I hit like a train, and well, he didn't move an inch. Course, he's been doing it about 15 yrs..... :)

G

GouRonin

Probably because you've been in very few real fights. Frank Trejo told me you never hit a man when he's down, but it's ok to hit him on the way down. Then again, he also told me that the best time to hit someone is when they are not looking.

Don't get it in your head that every fight you have will be you standing in a face off against your opponent with the sun setting in the background and the theme to some "Kung Fu" playing in the background

They will be very fast, dirty, messy, and will not end until you end it or you are ended. If he's semi-conscious then he might be able to do something still.

You need to attend a Systema seminar. That will learn you about balance.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Don't get it in your head that every fight you have will be you standing in a face off against your opponent with the sun setting in the background and the theme to some "Kung Fu" playing in the background

Indeed. If someone is attacking you then he certainly thinks that he has an advantage(s)--size, strength, surprise, allies, a weapon, your incapacitation due to alcohol/injury/immobility, or some such thing. The one-on-one duel as in the NHB tournaments is not a likely scenario outside of a high school or other highly structured environment. It'll be intended as an unfair fight by the attacker--hopefully they'll have misjudged.

My BJJ instructor says that you don't want to go the ground for self-defense because the buddy of the guy you're fighting will start kicking you in the head. You need to be prepared for the eventuality that you'll end up there but you don't want to go there willingly.

S

Shinzu

if you have a habit of being pushed over while performing your side kicks, be sure your heel of your supporting foot is pointed toward your opponent.

this will provide you with greater balance and stability. the same can be said about the roundhouse kick also. plus by rotating your heel completely you are using your hips as well.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

Indeed. If someone is attacking you then he certainly thinks that he has an advantage(s)--size, strength, surprise, allies, a weapon, your incapacitation due to alcohol/injury/immobility, or some such thing. The one-on-one duel as in the NHB tournaments is not a likely scenario outside of a high school or other highly structured environment. It'll be intended as an unfair fight by the attacker--hopefully they'll have misjudged.

In simpler terms;
There are 2 kinds of fighters. Dirty fighters and losers.:EG:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carbon, kicking to the throat can crush the throat and kicking to the neck can break the neck or rupture the artery ceasing the flow of blood to the brain... all these are fatal so unless someones trying to kill you its not a good idea to go for the neck and throat first thing... If you can kick that high you might as well go for a knockout to the head, less chance of going to prison for the rest of your life. Life and death is a whole other ball game however....

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I could probably do an effective kick, and by this I mean a kick with enough power to knock someone out.

This person would have to be about 5 ' 5'' and I think I could probably do a pretty strong and fast kick to his head, but in all likeliness I will probably start out swinging.

I always wondered how effective a muay thai fighter would be in a real fight, because one kick to the knee from him would probably drop me to my knees and leave my face open to anything he can throw at it.

S

Shinzu

it is very hard to judge your opponent from just looking at him/her. it is very unlikely that they will be wearing their uniform..LOL

for this reason i suggest that you train hard in all aspects. by that i do not mean that you should go style hopping, but that you should incorporate different blocks, strikes, and techniques that will make you a well rounded martial artist.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoran

In simpler terms;
There are 2 kinds of fighters. Dirty fighters and losers.:EG:

My instructors often say:

"If you're not cheating, you aren't trying hard enough."

Cthulhu
:D