I Got Such A Cool New Job!!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I've been pretty busy.

When I started at the nuke plant-about a thousand years ago, it seems-well, it was very exciting for me, and I got to learn a lot, but I got bitten by a bug that I've never really satisified. All of my bosses had worked there since it first went on line, or even during construction, and I grew to envy that experience. If there was an opportunity , though, there was always something that got in the way, like Palo Verde, in Arizona, which started staffing early in my career, and I wasn't experienced enough. Or the plant would be somewhere I didn't want to go, like Syracuse, NY-or Saudi Arabia.

Or South Africa-they wined and dined a couple of us prettty well before we turned them down.

Later, I got into other work, and I did start up a couple of facilities, but it wasn't quite the same as power plant work, which I've always loved and missed. For the last three years, I've worked for Public Service Company of New Mexico, mostly at the San Juan Power Plant-and, while it's had some challenges, I've been very grateful to be able to return to the industry pretty much at something like the level I like to think I'd have been at had I stayed at the nuke back in New York.

Of course, alternatives had always fascinated me as well-I can remember describing some of the projects I'd have liked to have been involved with to my first wife, way back when she was my girlfriend. Many of those projects never realyl came to be, and some are still in proof-of principle stage.......

...and some are making money!

So, Jan 14, I start working as the operations manager at the Genesis Solar Energy Project, It promises to be a challenging and fulfilling next step towards retirement, and one I'm really looking forward to. Best of all, it's under construction, so I get to turn the key, and strike another one from my bucket list..........wish me luck!

$1711561BritesourceLandscape.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most awesome, my friend :yay:. I am very pleased for you and a little bit envious too (tho' not of the headaches that'll come along with the job :D). If you ever need a half way decent SCADA engineer ... :angel:.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great news! Heck of a Christmas present there...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's amazing! Your accomplishments are inspiring!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is awesome! Hope the new year will be an exciting and prosperous one, and I look forward to hearing more about your journey :) :asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats. Is that picture of your new job those panels are massive I want to fill it with soapy water and slide

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But will it let the be enough for the flux capacitor???

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are 1800 acres of those mirrors-at least, there will be when the project is complete.

So, I take it you can cook a hotdog on them?:confused::p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, If there was an opportunity , though, there was always something that got in the way, like Palo Verde, in Arizona, which started staffing early in my career, and I wasn't experienced enough. Or the plant would be somewhere I didn't want to go, like Syracuse, NY-or Saudi Arabia.

Ok wait a minute, whats wrong with Syracuse, NY. There's always a lot of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

So, Jan 14, I start working as the operations manager at the Genesis Solar Energy Project, It promises to be a challenging and fulfilling next step towards retirement, and one I'm really looking forward to. Best of all, it's under construction, so I get to turn the key, and strike another one from my bucket list..........wish me luck!

View attachment 17496

Good for you, I'm happy things are working out for you.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's very cool Aaron, I'm jealous!
The basic idea just doesn't seem like it would be efficient enough to use at that large of a scale, but I'm obviously in error since it is already in use.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
So these are of one of our massive air-cooled condensers, looking at the HP end of the turbine. Most turbine condensers are cooled with water, but the desert here is so short on water that we went with these monsters: 12 stories high, 20 fans, just over an acre footprint.
View attachment $DSCN1388.jpg

View attachment $DSCN1423.jpg

And here's a view from that air-cooled condenser, down on the plant.
View attachment $DSCN1390.jpg

These are from back in January.....hang on, I've got more....

View attachment $DSCN1416.jpg
View attachment $DSCN1419.jpg
View attachment $DSCN1423.jpg
$DSCN1417.jpg

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! Always happy to see people progress in their field, especially when they like so much what they are doing.

That is a huge facility. Must take a lot of maintenance after it is up and running?