I found out I love 'pushing through it'.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, I had my first kickboxing class in years this past Saturday; the next day was a pretty uncomfortable series of sore legs and lower back. That in itself wouldn't worry me normally- but 1) I'm told (and it's been my experience) that the 2nd day after is even worse, and 2) I wanted to go to boxing class Monday (last night).

Which I did.
smile.gif

I was still sore, still stiff. Hit the treadmill to warm up. Legs were still sore. Got into class... stopped thinking about my legs, my back, my arms, and just focused on doing what was instructed.

At some point, it stopped hurting altogether. I mean, I'm a little tense now (Tuesday mid-day), but it's like... I feel good. Like I could hit class again tonight, y'know?

I used to get that while running... 'runner's high', I guess. Is there a 'boxer's high' I didn't know about?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I had my first kickboxing class in years this past Saturday; the next day was a pretty uncomfortable series of sore legs and lower back. That in itself wouldn't worry me normally- but 1) I'm told (and it's been my experience) that the 2nd day after is even worse, and 2) I wanted to go to boxing class Monday (last night).

Which I did.
smile.gif

I was still sore, still stiff. Hit the treadmill to warm up. Legs were still sore. Got into class... stopped thinking about my legs, my back, my arms, and just focused on doing what was instructed.

At some point, it stopped hurting altogether. I mean, I'm a little tense now (Tuesday mid-day), but it's like... I feel good. Like I could hit class again tonight, y'know?

I used to get that while running... 'runner's high', I guess. Is there a 'boxer's high' I didn't know about?

Yep, your hooked...

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There most certainly is a "boxers high" and an endorphin response from any intense exercise.

However, it's not something that would affect you the middle of the next day.

But it sounds like the boxing class was exactly what you needed for your recovery. Or, perhaps you've been going at it long enough that your recovery times have significantly reduced and you're noticing the effects.

Anyways . . . dude. Glad you had a great time.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can totally relate to this. That's why I keep coming back. lol Plus it's cool how your body just surprises you. Even when you know you are tired and sore, after a while it just all disappears and starts feeling good. I say keep at it, it only gets better.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can relate to this, when I changed my weight routine a few weeks ago and was "dying" from sore legs, I got over it quicker by running a mile then stretching off, it really loosened my legs up and got them working again.

Excercise helps with the stiffness :) And I know the tense feeling too... like you just want to get on and do it again! I get that after every training session, I think its the first signs of the addiction ;)

Sounds like you're enjoying it!

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Amen! I love that feeling too. In fact, I know it is time to change things up when I'm breezing throught my workouts and I begin to miss that sore achy feeling!

I remember when my classes 15 minute warmup that consisted of some situps and squats and a little stretching seemed like a workout to me...the new me laughs at the old me now!

Now that we are getting ready to compete in a big tournament this summer we have stepped up training and I remember what it is like to have to "push through" again. I have to say, it is taking a little longer than it used to to recover after those really tough workouts.

Glad you are having fun.

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can definitly relate to this as well, I have been in Muay Thai for like a month or so now and I was in horrible shape when I started, didnt really do any kind of activity other than walking to my car for years.

Even after a month I am almost ready to collapse after each class (I go 3 times a week, would go more but I work like 60 hours a week and miss the others)

After the first class I was hooked, even though I am sore most of the time over all I feel so much better than I did before I started going.