I can't stand instructors like this

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I happened to come across this while looking for kids sparring.

This is the "Hit the student, when he/she isn't ready" trick. The way this trick works is that you start talking and explaining something and then you suddenly hit the student and then you use your sneak attack to validate whatever concept that you were talking about.

The guy at the end who gets hit says "I'm just scared that you are close." Well, yeah if you were going to get hit while you are listening to the lesson, then you would be.

To me this is actually abusive. If you want to see someone abused then that video is it. If the instructor's concept and technique are solid then he / she should shouldn't have to sneak it in and sucker punch the student to validate the concept.

Same lesson different approach. The lesson at :26 is classic. Both are teaching the same concept

See the difference?

Don't be like DK YOO when teaching.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Osu, I agree Jowgawolf. Although many people have different opinions on what constitutes 'abusive', we all know it when we see it. The methods you use to convey your message speaks more about you as a teacher than it reveals about the technique you are explaining.

Also appreciate you posting a video with Sensei Jai-White. He is a very knowledgeable karateka.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Also appreciate you posting a video with Sensei Jai-White. He is a very knowledgeable karateka.

Also also ... pretty much nobody, including Michael Jai White is going to be abusive with Kimbo. So he makes his point in a fun and respectful way. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also also ... pretty much nobody, including Michael Jai White is going to be abusive with Kimbo. So he makes his point in a fun and respectful way. :)
*Would have been.

RIP

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't bug me terribly, though it seems unnecessary. It really depends how it's used. In the first video, the student actually doesn't seem surprised to have been punched, just surprised by not seeing it coming.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do this to my students all the time. Mostly with a big foam blocker. Sometimes with the paddle targets in the advanced class after I've told them several times to keep their hands up.

@Martial D what do you mean, "would have been"? Pretty sure he's still alive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do this to my students all the time. Mostly with a big foam blocker. Sometimes with the paddle targets in the advanced class after I've told them several times to keep their hands up.

If I have a student not keeping their hands up, they'll probably get a slap on the head. If I'm feeling particularly "cute", I'll tag their nose with fingertips.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I punch people in the back of the head when they are sparring someone else.

And then yell " WORLD STAR!!!!!!"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I punch people in the back of the head when they are sparring someone else.

And then yell " WORLD STAR!!!!!!"
I've never seen a picture of him, or anything (so far as I know), but I'm now trying to imagine you doing that to the Danimal.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nope he isn't

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really liked the second video :)

But yeah I know what you mean. Really depends on the approach, but also the context. Sometimes it is appropriate to reinforce what's being taught. In the first vid it just seemed like he wanted to trick the student almost.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t look at the first video as abusive. I definitely think he’s being a douche bag and showing off for however will look at him though. Hopefully he’s not doing this and taking it up a notch in the dojo.

Michael Jai-White’s lesson is a good one though. They talk about seeing the shoulders move, and one guy was saying elbow. Definitely true, but I think it’s more of seeing the fist to back or out to the side before it comes forward. I see a lot of people telegraphing by bringing their hands back to increase power. I’m not talking about the classic karate/TKD chambering at the hip; just a regular bringing the hands back (or outward and back for a hook) to wind up a bit. When Jai-White was throwing the punches after the initial ones, notice how the hands didn’t come back at all before he threw them; they came straight forward from wherever they were.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I place my hand on their head until they remove my hand. It looks similar to this.
affectionate-gesture-to-head_tangled_5907.png

The first mistake is allowing me to play my hand on their head.
The second mistake is allowing me to keep it there.

I had one student that used to drive me crazy because she would just let my hand stay on her head. I would always get irritated and ask her why wasn't she trying to move my hand from that position. Her weakness was never "addressing the lead hand" She never really caught on or grasp just how bad it was for my hand to be in that position. She didn't realize that it wouldn't take much to do the same thing with a punch or a palm strike if I wanted to.

Not protecting the head was always a big NO NO for me. Especially in a long fist system when there are a lot of punches that are like modified haymakers.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, yeah. I'd kind of expect that. It probably hurts more when he does it, too.

When you get beaten by a guy who is wearing anatomically accurate statue of David shorts. Everything hurts

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Same lesson different approach. The lesson at :26 is classic. Both are teaching the same concept

See the difference?

Don't be like DK YOO when teaching.

Is Michael Jai White a Chunner? This is the best tech I stole from Wang Chung (maybe only 1); their straight punch + hand position. It works really well vs. Muay Thai purists.

Latest Discussions