I can't buy that book on Kindle but, someone in the UK can?!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because of some asinine licensing/copyright infringement bull **** I can't buy the book I want for my kindle because I live in the US.
This pisses me off.
I blame Sukerkin. :p

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We've experienced this kind if stupidity before as well. Usually for us it's music. We're happy to pay for it, but it's not available for sale in the US. We've actually had to resort to unpaid downloads, because we can't find a legal way to buy it.

How does this help anything?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: You have my sympathy, Don. It's nothing to do with me, honest :angel:. The copyright laws are maddening alright, as is the way that media companies package and lock-down the things that you buy. I can understand why people pirate stuff, tho' I don't myself - it is so tempting tho' when you,say, buy a DVD and it won't let you skip past all the Anti-Piracy messages and other adverts! That usually reduces me to shouting very impolitely at the TV that I have bought the darned thing so don't make me have a more annoying experience than if I'd stolen it!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amen Brother! I don't like "real" books anymore, I want to read it on my Kindle damn it!

Me too! I even take my Kindle on hiking trips in the summer. Its lighter than a book and the screen can be read in broad daylight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 5 with iBooks and the Kindle app FTW! :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NO!
I don't want a smart phone
I want my phone to make and receive calls and store phone numbers, that's it.

Why carry around a phone and a reader and this and that when I can carry one thing that fits in my shirt pocket instead?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem is that Smart Phones are just not smart enough. They are very vulnerable devices - I wouldn't have one that I put any sensitive data into and I certainly wouldn't use one for such things as on-line banking or shopping.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Full agreement--I use mine for texting (mostly), calls, reading, games, taking notes, web-browsing (occasionally). Nothing sensitive.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't do anything sensitive on my iPhone. Or my laptop, because it gets connected to too many public WiFi spots. My desktop only.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not fond of Kindle on my phone. Screen is a bit small, and the battery life too limited.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because of some asinine licensing/copyright infringement bull **** I can't buy the book I want for my kindle because I live in the US.
This pisses me off.
I blame Sukerkin. :p
Well... The Supreme Court says that Suk can buy it for you -- and even sell it to you without breaking the law or copyright rules.

Kirtsaeng v Wiley & Sons -- opinion

The Supreme Court ruled last week in Kirtsaeng v. Wiley, a case that centered on the tension between copyright law’s first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. §109(a), and the importation restriction found in 17 U.S.C. §602(a).
Last week, the Supreme Court overturned the Second Circuit’s ruling in Kirtsaeng, relying on the plain language of the statute, historical and contemporary statutory context, and practical considerations. The Court explained that a work “lawfully made under this title” refers to infringing versus non-infringing copies of a work -- that is, legitimate versus counterfeit copies -- and does not refer to a geographical limitation on the fair use defense. A significant portion of the Court’s majority opinion, which was written by Justice Breyer and joined by 5 other Justices, focused on the practical import of the decision. For instance, the Court cited the American Library Association’s amicus brief in the case, which argued that if the Court decided that the first sale doctrine did not apply to all works, regardless of geography, then public libraries would face the “insurmountable barrier” of having to obtain licenses for the 200 million foreign-published books in their collections, which would likely force them to close.
from an article here

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well... The Supreme Court says that Suk can buy it for you -- and even sell it to you without breaking the law or copyright rules.
Does it say how he can get it to my kindle?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it not possible to just download the file to your PC and then pipe it across via the USB connection to the KIndle? Or is it the Kindle itself that is enforcing the copyright? Wouldn't surprise me given what Amazon are like.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it not possible to just download the file to your PC and then pipe it across via the USB connection to the KIndle? Or is it the Kindle itself that is enforcing the copyright? Wouldn't surprise me given what Amazon are like.

It is not for sale on Amazon.com, only on Amazon.co.uk. Which wouldn't sell it to me.