I apologize for any rude comments I made on this website

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I ask forgiveness for anyone I offended when I said that martial arts are useless and all that rot. Karate is just as good, if not better, than submission wrestling.

What makes me say so? I witnessed fights on youtube where guys who seemed frail and weak knocked out hard, dangerous thugs with karate moves. I was suddenly humbled, for a long time I thought that grappling was the only truth in combat.

But now I see that karate is VERY EFFECTIVE, and I shouldn't make blanket statements about all martial artists.

I personally don't like to train in Karate, because I need something more physical and competitive, like BJJ, but traditional karate is effective and good. I am humbled.

Thank you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Freestyle we all have our opinions and I for one have not read what you said, but I'm glad you are able to see other side of the Martial Arts. No-one is ever perfect but we strive to be within ourself, you have taken a giant step by apologiging for what you believed to be wrong cudos to you.

OP
Freestyler777

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I started a topic called "Why isn't Zen emphasized more in martial arts dojos?" People thought i was trying to convert them to another religion. I responded with some stupid remarks about karate and traditional martial arts. But what I saw made me realize that karate is not all hollywood. It is effective like jiu-jitsu and I was a little bit deluded about combat sports. I hope the people I offended see this post.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started a topic called "Why isn't Zen emphasized more in martial arts dojos?" People thought i was trying to convert them to another religion. I responded with some stupid remarks about karate and traditional martial arts. But what I saw made me realize that karate is not all hollywood. It is effective like jiu-jitsu and I was a little bit deluded about combat sports. I hope the people I offended see this post.

They will and you are a bigger man for saying this.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No harm, no foul. Hell, I should of been asked to leave this site a long time ago...

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a part of the forum is about communicating, learning, making a few mistakes here and there, sucking it up and moving ahead the better for it.

I look forward to future posts with you!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My words might not carry the 'administrative' weight of Terry's or Brian's but I'm sure that it is the case that you will find that having the depth of character to apologise for an honest mistake will have only postive effects - well done, sir :tup:.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My words might not carry the 'administrative' weight of Terry's or Brian's but I'm sure that it is the case that you will find that having the depth of character to apologise for an honest mistake will have only postive effects - well done, sir :tup:.

If anything your comments hold more wieght than ours you are a member and as a memeber your voice is loud and clear.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, better late than never is what I always say.

And nothing wrong with loving what you do. Just appreciate the fact that what you do isn't for everyone and what someone else does may not be for you. May I suggest that you consider cross-training in other arts from time to time? I personally think it's the best way to really appreciate what a good martial artist in another art can do. :asian:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, better late than never is what I always say.

And nothing wrong with loving what you do. Just appreciate the fact that what you do isn't for everyone and what someone else does may not be for you. May I suggest that you consider cross-training in other arts from time to time? I personally think it's the best way to really appreciate what a good martial artist in another art can do. :asian:

Great comment

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't read the post either, but it does take a special kind of person to say "I'm sorry" when and if they feel they're wrong and made someone mad. I for one, am looking forward to reading more of your posts...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you have grown as a person by saying what you did in the first post in this thread. We all make mistakes from time to time and realising that we made one is a big step. Keep posting and enjoying your time here on MT

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No harm, no foul. Hell, I should of been asked to leave this site a long time ago...

Yep, I have stepped in it quite a few times myself. Admitting that you made a mistake and making amends for it is a very important thing to do. It is nice to see that happening in this forum. If only people did it more often while out and about in public...

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never posted anything to apologize for ... LOL
icon12.gif

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
You just demonstrated humility and strength, Freestyler. A mark of a true martial artist, regardless of style.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello,

I ask forgiveness for anyone I offended when I said that martial arts are useless and all that rot. Karate is just as good, if not better, than submission wrestling.

What makes me say so? I witnessed fights on youtube where guys who seemed frail and weak knocked out hard, dangerous thugs with karate moves. I was suddenly humbled, for a long time I thought that grappling was the only truth in combat.

But now I see that karate is VERY EFFECTIVE, and I shouldn't make blanket statements about all martial artists.

I personally don't like to train in Karate, because I need something more physical and competitive, like BJJ, but traditional karate is effective and good. I am humbled.

Thank you.
Ummm ... at least you saw them on YouTube and ... not on your person.

I think what you're really finding out here is that assumptions are often pointless and wrong. The kind of assumption you outline in your other post could indeed be fatal. Of course, not all who study, train, learn are going to be effective, but it is wrong to say that because of those people that martial arts are worthless.

A good lesson to keep and apply to all areas of your life. Thanks for posting!

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
You should apologize for this post
icon12.gif
lmao. Yes, that was a bit out of place. A "jk" would've been nice. ;-)
Nice, dude. Really. Kudos to you, and may the rest of us also be humbled by your newfound respect. It's great to see firsthand that one can raise a reputation by showing respect, rather than making comments out of pride or anger.