"I Am Bruce Lee" - Movie

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://iambruceleemovie.com/

My brother is wanting me to go see it tonight, just curious if anyone had a review, and also wanted to post the link so that those unfamiliar had a chance to check it out if they wanted.

I hope they do a great job with it.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haven't seen it but will. What's to review? It's Bruce Lee!!!

YOGAMAN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my brother gave me a bootleg copy 2 weeks ago , at first i didnt like it i dont if it was the camaras if it was digital and not film i dont know , but as it went on i got into it.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So its a movie showing clips of Bruce Lee while other people talk about how great Bruce Lee was.......I think they did this a couple of times already over the decades.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw it on the 9th.

I've seen documentaries on Bruce in the past, have watched most of his movies, have read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and once read a biography on him. And even though I am already quite familiar with him, there were still some surprises about his life, some footage that I had never before seen, and some good reflections both from people who knew him personally (Linda Lee, Dan Inosanto, Gene LeBell, Shannon Lee, Bob Wall) and those who did not but who were influenced by him in some way (Mickey Rourke, Dana White, Jon Jones, Cung Le, Stephan Bonnar, Kobe Bryant, and some others who I had never heard of).

All in all, I thought it was really well done and thought it was kind of cool to be part of this little event that was a two-night only thing in my city.

OP
K

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I went and saw it tonight. My experience was about like the experience SPX shared. I enjoyed it for the most part. There were some good quotes I hadn't heard, some interview clips and film clips I hadn't seen, and a couple of small facts I hadn't known. There were some very good interviews, and some so-so interviews.

I think there was a little too much time spent on the interviews with people who didn't know him.... just talking about how cool they thought he was, or how he influenced them when they were a kid. Some of that was good.. but not substantive enough for the time it received.

There were some people I would have liked to have seen interviewed who weren't like some of his more prominent students/JKD instructors who are still alive and teaching. I thought for a moment they were going to spend a little time on his relationship with his son, but they didn't really.

I found it interesting how many people projected their thoughts/feelings about politics, race, philosophy etc onto Bruce, his movies, actions...

All in all I enjoyed it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haven't seen it but like others, I've seen most (if not all) of everything made about/for/with him in it. I own all his films on DVD (the ones made with Raymond Chow... not the ones prior) and they have the original soundtrack to them... meaning I'm not seeing lips move and hearing some stupid overdone accent by a voice actor... pretty much better that way watching it in Cantonese, everything... syncs.

Bruce Lee spent years trying to get noticed in America and wanted to become one of the first (true) Asian stars of Hollywood cinema. No coolie hats, or 4 foot long braids and doing the stereotypical Chinese thing. He of course hated that image (probably so did every other Asian-American... I mean hell, they all look alike right? :rolleyes: ), he fought hard to change it and I think he did succeed.
Maybe he did or maybe it happened after he died. Either way, I think even he, were he alive today, would be amazed at the lasting legacy and influence his life, his films and his art has become. I know people do tend to dream big but sometimes most people don't dream THIS big. But then again he WAS a philosophy major.

Betcha, if he were still around he'd gone a few more rounds with ole' Chuck just for the helluva it. :wink2:

Latest Discussions