hypothetical self defense situation #1 and #2

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
bearhug-it can be arm pinned or not, any ideas are welcome.

like someone got you on knees and hes just griping you on your shoulder and you're trying to get out of that position but hes just pushing you down on your knees because hes right behind you. keep in mind that person is tall and bigger.

Turn around and face him then ankle pick. Put your head into his knee and push while you are pulling his foot.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyA9hNRANc

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the bear hug. You can kick your feet out forwards ish. You are still standing and drive your head and shoulders up and back. Which starts prying your hips away from theirs. Then using your hips and your hands peel their arms down. Or of your arms are caught are are caught lever your elbows in and peel their arms down.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1#, Tech I've been taught and used is using separation of tanjon to move your arms under then head to escape. And/or getting your arms in to a almost cat roll ready position to lessen the tight grip, but that's really before they would have you. Having been lifted, the same principles but deadening my weight.

I had a chance to test this on Friday night, while during our sparring\yusul bouts. I gave an opportunity for my opponent by presenting my back and he went straight to bear-hug and lift. I was able to drop my weight from tanjon then basic separation principles moving my arms in different directions to get out under the grip without presenting my neck. Cost me a red ear but was good to try it without him knowing as he was higher grade and much more skilled, but he maid the right sounds when I dropped the weight and took him by surprise. (Mind you, he may have been taking it easier on me)

I'm keen to give #2 an attempt, I can see from the pictures it's quite a vulnerable position. My first thoughts would be to redirect his force grabbing the arms and moving forward but I think that could be dangerous as it could easily move to rear naked choke as has already been speculated if messed up. So applying a technique as bringing them over locking up the arms and shoulders might work, breaking the wrist(s) if the momentum is not in favor.