White Belt
Reaction score
There are 5 code of conduct for the Hwa Rang Do warriors:

- Be loyal to your King
- Be obedient to your parents
- Be honorable to your friends
- Never retreat in battle
- Make a just kill

How does this apply to modern day especially to never retreat in battle and make a just kill? Thoughts?

OutcastSix

White Belt
Reaction score

- Be loyal to your King
- Make a just kill

How does this apply to modern day especially to never retreat in battle and make a just kill? Thoughts?

A few of my thoughts based on my martial journey, I offer my two cents-

-Loyalty to King- This may require creative substitution based on a person's current residence, form of government or personal belief. Substitution could be "country", "president", "prime minister", "religious leader", "imam", etc., with the intent of support and adherence to country laws, societal custom, community and/or the laws, which may include compulsory service.
-Obedience to Parents- This again may be guided by local custom, however children regardless of age should strive to be dutiful to their parents and in turn, parents should be charitable to their children. Protecting the rights of the weak with courtesy and modesty.
-Honoring Friends- Bonding with cooperation and concord contributes to a peaceful harmony and faith with each other in society, regardless of race, color, creed, belief towards mankind.
-Although a few of these, if not all can woven and linked together, Never retreat in battle & Discretion in killing - Pick your battles, confliction and disagreements only in justice and with honor. Hold your personal, familial and societal convictions firm. You should strive to distinguish between good and bad with fairness and rightfulness. Guided by conscience, doing the right actions and things even while others may not witness them.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- Be loyal to your King
- Make a just kill

I'm not too sure about that "loyal to your king" bit. I just finished reading a book based on the life of Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, "El Cid". In the legendary version, El Cid had that kind of loyalty to his king. But sometimes the king isn't worthy of that kind of devotion ...sometimes he is a total jerk.

I have more respect for a person who remains loyal to noble principles. And even those need to be examined carefully. ;)