Hungarian Weight Lifting Accident -- Graphic video warning

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://stupidcelebrities.net/2008/08/13/janos-baranyai-olympic-weight-lifting-injury-video/

Olympic Weightlifter Breaks Arm (Video)

Posted on August 13, 2008
Hungarian weightlifter, Janos Baranyai, had a horrific injury caught on video today in Beijing. The Hungarian weightlifter, Janos Baranyai, was taken to a hospital Wednesday after dislocating his right elbow during the 77-kilogram division. See Hungarian Weightlifter, Janos Baranyai’s, video below.​
Janos Baranyai of Hungary was attempting to life 326.3 lbs., when his elbow popped and his forearm bent backwards. The injured weightlifter fell immediately on the floor shaking and crying out in horrific pain.
Hungary’s coaching staff and Olympic officials rushed to help Baranyai as he lay on the floor, his arm twisted out of position.​
The 24-year-old Baranyai was carried off the platform and taken by ambulance to a local hospital, said Benny Johansson, a technical controller at the event.​
“It looked really awful,” said Benny Johansson, a technical controller at the event. “If the ligaments are damaged then it could take several months to heal.”​
What happens when you do something the wrong way from what it's supposed to do. Pretty bad. One imagines that his career as a weight lifter is over. Feel bad for the guy. All that hard work and training gone in a second.
Scroll down article to get the video, it shows it in several different angles. The weight was too far back behind his head and looked like he was trying to pull it forward to right it in the correct position and ... snap!
Says that he dislocated it but you know that ligaments were ripped ... not to mention that the bar hit him around the neck and shoulders. He's going to feel that for a long time. As well as getting over it mentally.

Have any of you had any type of weight lifting/training accidents or seen one?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know what? I clicked on this intending to watch the video and when I saw the still photo I couldn't bring myself to watch it. That looks nasty. I would be afraid to ever lift a weight again if it were me. He'll probably never fully recover.