Hung Gar Issue

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are the forms depicted in the following video anywhere near the core of Hung Gar? I'd like to make myself a better impression about the stile since its not avaible in my area at all, trust me i did the research.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are the forms depicted in the following video anywhere near the core of Hung Gar? I'd like to make myself a better impression about the stile since its not avaible in my area at all, trust me i did the research.

I'm not sure what you are asking. The form has core movements and techniques in it along with advanced techniques. The best way to know more about the core techniques is to find a video of a beginner Hung Ga class. Whatever they teach in that beginner's class will be the core.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is a rendition of hung ga Tiger and Crane form, which is kind of famous and is an important form in some lineages of hung ga. I don't know if this fellow is doing it well, or not.

The interesting thing is, back in the 1970s or 1980s, sifu Chiu Chi Ling made an instructional video for this form, and in the video he opened with a demonstration of the form. He used the exact same music, and phony sound effects that are in this new video here, and his rendition of the form seems very stylistically similar as well.

I think this new video is just somebody copying the older one.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The gung gee fuk foo ( taming the tiger) is the fundimental form of hung gar. Tiger crane and iron wire are the other core sets of the system. Look for those forms.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

bak_mei_jr

White Belt
Reaction score
Definitely a fundamental Hung Kuen form. This execution is a bit flashy and theatrical for my taste.