Reaction score
Onegaishimasu
Bow.gif
Hey! Where did you find my little man?
Bow.gif

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I pretty much only know about PTSD from knowing people who have it. Apparently the trauma can be for many reasons, from physical to mental, and the mental from experiences that were horrible to go through unaffected, to guilt. Regardless, it was outside the sufferer's ability to deal with in a "normal" way. As I understand, treatment depends first on identifying all the triggers, getting the sufferer to recognize them, and then coming to terms with them and their results. Not usually an easy process.

In your case, I don't know if you had PTSD before, or if that even matters. I understand a desire to be safe, and that when one suddenly doesn't feel safe somewhere, it can cause one to feel less safe everywhere. Sorry if there was a student who did not treat you in the best way. Do remember that martial arts tend to be a learning and practice of just that; martial arts. When used to attack, or used to defend, they are combat related. You need to expect some trauma. Simply being blocked in 1 and 3 step sparring will cause your wrists pain until you get used to it, and you will.

If you have it available and can afford it, counseling about your PTSD might be something to consider. If you are already undergoing counseling, I hope you have discussed the incident with your counselor.

Good luck in your studies. There are many advantages to martial arts training. But they may not be as effecting as they could be as long as you have difficulties with PTSD.

OP
whitebeltforever

whitebeltforever

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes i expected to be hit. but when someone is aggro and angry and hits me in a safe environment, and he's about half a meter taller than me and about 50kgs bigger than me it is quite traumatic. that's abuse concealed in the name of martial arts. and PTSD is a very complicated issue. yep i have seen counsellors for around 3 years after the incident and like i said, it happened in what i thought was a safe place to practice and it happend about a month after being hit on the street. every single senior black belt i've spoken with, most 2nd/3rd dans in my dojo said that that is not to be tolerated, and that the dojo should have monitored students more carefully. thanks for ur input!

Latest Discussions