Human Weapon- TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The exposure would be great if it is done with what true TKD is, my feeling is we are only going to get the sport side of TKD and that will help generate more kids into the Art but we need more adults seeing the value of what TKD can be.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This show airs tonight at 6 pm. They changed the time from their regular slot on Friday night at 9pm. I did see it this afternoon at 12 noon and it was pretty good!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This show airs tonight at 6 pm. They changed the time from their regular slot on Friday night at 9pm. I did see it this afternoon at 12 noon and it was pretty good!

I forgot it comes on tonight and see that 6pm is early and lucky I saw this thread and your post.

This must mean it will get cancelled. When you start changing times and days that is usually the sign of show cancellation death

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian did you happen to tape it or anybody for that matter. I'm at the school with classes and forgot to set the DVR.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...wow..

Well to all those that watched..notice it took TKD to easily stop both hosts :)

Now someone tell my why.....the first kick they learn is a tornado kick??????????
I mean why not the push kick then a roundhouse kick, etc....
I know as a show you want to show the flashy stuff but rightere kids is why instructors teach you simple kicks first....so u don't go out there and do it wrong and hurt yaself!!

Maybe if they would have learned how to do a roundhouse kick to start they could have scored at least 1 point.

Bill went down like a ton of bricks...lol! I knew sooner or later someone would get him back for all those illegal punches to the head that he does in the final competitions.

I am glad Jason brought up question about why not whipping your head around to execute the horse kick/back kick. I guess if you catch the leg then it works better than if you don't catch it.

The episode was pretty much what I thought it would be and I must say I enjoyed it. Too bad for Jason and Bill they didn't learn any fundamentals. (i.e. beginner kicks and.....keeping your hands up!!!)

Any thought on their choice of Masters?

Also, if Hwarangdo is so close to TKD why isn't it mentioned as much as TKD?

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
By any chance do u know if they will repeat this chapter again? On Sunday or something? I remembered it was at 6:00 pm but we are central time, so I came one hour late pfff...!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I imagine because if the ultimate aim of the episode is to prepare them to fight a Tae Kwon Do champion, get them acquainted with the kicks they would need to fight him. Remember, it wasn't an introduction to basic TKD, it was training to fight a tournament competitor.
It was pretty cool watching Bill Duff going down like a sack of spuds (although I'm sure he felt differently!).
Too bad Jason's knee gave out.
I thought the Taekkyon lessons were really cool. With minor variations, that's exactly how we used to practice the back side kick. Same footwork and everything. Pretty spooky. But it just reinforced to me that what we practice is truly descended from Taekkyon.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I imagine because if the ultimate aim of the episode is to prepare them to fight a Tae Kwon Do champion, get them acquainted with the kicks they would need to fight him. Remember, it wasn't an introduction to basic TKD, it was training to fight a tournament competitor.
It was pretty cool watching Bill Duff going down like a sack of spuds (although I'm sure he felt differently!).
Too bad Jason's knee gave out.
I thought the Taekkyon lessons were really cool. With minor variations, that's exactly how we used to practice the back side kick. Same footwork and everything. Pretty spooky. But it just reinforced to me that what we practice is truly descended from Taekkyon.

But with tournaments you will end up doing some roundhouse, axe, push, spin whip and back kicks. Rarely do most people use those flashy and longer to develop kicks.

Shoulda left the flashy stuff for students to show. I mean teach them but that was their main move along with push kick. I could hear my master in my ear when Jason's knee went out "And you see why Marcus I will not teach you certain kicks till you learn how to do the main one's correct first. Mess around and hurt yourself and do some real damage."

I know I shouldnt have but I couldnt help laughing when I saw Bill go down.

Really? I always learned to make sure to whip your head around to make sure u know where opponent is and aim kick. Like I said I think if you grab a leg then you may not have to look b/c your gabbing and pulling while you kicking.

Yeah great history lesson.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian did you happen to tape it or anybody for that matter. I'm at the school with classes and forgot to set the DVR.

It'll be re-shown all week. That's one reason I am less concerned than usual that the time slot change presages cancellation as it so often does.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It'll be re-shown all week. That's one reason I am less concerned than usual that the time slot change presages cancellation as it so often does.

I went to the website and yahoo tv but it doesnt seem to be showing anymore. It said that it first aired today at 12pm and then again at 6pm. It has no other shows listed and on yahoo tv there are no other episodes showing when I was looking for a future date.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could it be the end of the season? There have already been over a dozen episodes.

lol...your guess is as good as mine....BUT wait...this is suppose to be the 2nd season!!!

I don't know how since the show didnt start till July but they said it is the second season.

I am thinking it is a conspiracy....the anti TKD group lobbyed to have the show time and day changed all of a sudden and now you can't find out if it will show again. C-O-N-spiracy

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But it just reinforced to me that what we practice is truly descended from Taekkyon.

Again, it's not. To repeat: Taekkyon itself died out in the late 19th c. in Korea as a widespread activity; it never had the status of a martial art; a new MA packaged as taekkyon was created in the mid-20th c. with no demonstrable connection to the folk foot wrestling game that taekkyon consisted of in the 19th c.; supposedly early documentary mention of taekkyon are actually references to takkyon 'push-shoulders', a generic term referring to unbalancing movements rather than a specific MA, and so on. Specialized MA historians&#8212;Stanley Henning, Dakin Burdick, Steve Capener, Manuel Adrogues and others in their mostly peer reviewed publications (Journal of Asian Martial Arts; I've given you the specific references elsewhere so it shouldn't be necessary to repeat them, eh? ) with competence in Chinese, Japanese and Korean have examined the complete documentary record as we currently have it and found absolutely no role for taekkyon in the formation of modern TKD; and this conclusion is supported in the writing of Gm. S. Henry Cho(Taekwondo: Secrets of Korean Karate, 1968) and Gm. Kim Soo
(in his interview in the January Black Belt).

If you're privy to some new cache of documention that shows that contrary to all currently known evidence, taekkyon had a significant input into current TKD, please provide us with the sources. If not, then all you're doing is repeating unsupported dojang folklore and KMA legends&#8212;never the sort of thing recommended for maintenance of one's credibility.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I went to the website and yahoo tv but it doesnt seem to be showing anymore. It said that it first aired today at 12pm and then again at 6pm. It has no other shows listed and on yahoo tv there are no other episodes showing when I was looking for a future date.

Same here. I finally downloaded it and my husband and I just saw it. We liked the show, it could be a lot worst, lol.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, it's not. To repeat: Taekkyon itself died out in the late 19th c. in Korea as a widespread activity; it never had the status of a martial art; a new MA packaged as taekkyon was created in the mid-20th c. with no demonstrable connection to the folk foot wrestling game that taekkyon consisted of in the 19th c.; supposedly early documentary mention of taekkyon are actually references to takkyon 'push-shoulders', a generic term referring to unbalancing movements rather than a specific MA, and so on. Specialized MA historians—Stanley Henning, Dakin Burdick, Steve Capener, Manuel Adrogues and others in their mostly peer reviewed publications (Journal of Asian Martial Arts; I've given you the specific references elsewhere so it shouldn't be necessary to repeat them, eh? ) with competence in Chinese, Japanese and Korean have examined the complete documentary record as we currently have it and found absolutely no role for taekkyon in the formation of modern TKD; and this conclusion is supported in the writing of Gm. S. Henry Cho(Taekwondo: Secrets of Korean Karate, 1968) and Gm. Kim Soo
(in his interview in the January Black Belt).

If you're privy to some new cache of documention that shows that contrary to all currently known evidence, taekkyon had a significant input into current TKD, please provide us with the sources. If not, then all you're doing is repeating unsupported dojang folklore and KMA legends—never the sort of thing recommended for maintenance of one's credibility.

This is pretty much what my understanding is. The original TKD was barely varnished Shotokan Karate. For reasons of national pride it was necessary to put a stronger coat of "Korean" on it. Pictures of Taek Kyon were available though the "art" itself was mostly just a memory. The pictures and some terminology were used to help build a story that there was a deep connection to Korea's past in this art. It just wasn't so. The art is now certainly distinct from Karate, but the stories are just that.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is pretty much what my understanding is. The original TKD was barely varnished Shotokan Karate. For reasons of national pride it was necessary to put a stronger coat of "Korean" on it. Pictures of Taek Kyon were available though the "art" itself was mostly just a memory. The pictures and some terminology were used to help build a story that there was a deep connection to Korea's past in this art. It just wasn't so. The art is now certainly distinct from Karate, but the stories are just that.

The last line stries are just that, rings a bell to every TKD individual I know. Man just say what the truth is, it was developed for the Koreans to have there own destiny in the Arts. Is that just to hard to say.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The last line stries are just that, rings a bell to every TKD individual I know. Man just say what the truth is, it was developed for the Koreans to have there own destiny in the Arts. Is that just to hard to say.

You've both summed it up exactly (IOU both rep, but you're both still on my current rep cycle). And the interesting thing is, there are plenty of senior Korean MAists who will candidly acknowledge that no, the legendary ancient lineage tales are, indeed, just dojang folktales; both of the ones I've mentioned are very straight about this, and there are others. But the (understandable) resentment of the brutality of Japanese occupation amongst its Korean victims led certain individuals to what I regard as a near- (or fully) pathological level of denial, such as that instructor Gm. Kim Soo mentions in his current-issue Black Belt interview who was on the verge of physical violence when Gm. Kim, then a student, mentioned that his dojang lineage orginated with a Japanese master karateka.

I've read all kinds of apologetics and rationales for this sort of revisionism, including what I regard as the seriously dangerous idea that people have the right to believe what they want to if it makes them feel good. Talk about a slippery slope, eh? The point is, it's a total package: if you want the truth, then you have to be willing to face it even when it makes you feel bad; the price you pay for bending the truth when you don't like it&#8212;even when you're completely morally justified in disliking it&#8212;is that you have no grounds for complaining when someone else bends the truth in a way that makes you the bad guy, as long as it makes them feel good. The great irony in this case is that at a deeper level, the KMAs can derive their ancestry further back than Japan, back to Okinawa and China, where the ancestral arts that gave rise to Japanese karate were forged. And those countries suffered from the same terrible cruelty that the Koreans experienced themselves at the hands of the Japanese, or even worse in some cases (think of the mass live burials of citizens of Nanking).

What we need is someone to do for the history of TKD what Harry Cook has done for the history of Shotokan: construct a massively documented, meticulously honest and detailed history of the art that teases out the various contributions of the players, both famous and obscure, going back as far as the documentary record allows. People like Capener, Burdick, Henning and Adroguès have made an excellent start, but clearly their work hasn't gotten the attention from the general KMA audience that it deserves...