Human Weapon- TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is they are only giving the sport side and no traditional side of the Art which is a sham because it is a added value to those that know nothing about the combat side of TKD.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this a TV series then, where these guys try to learn a martial art in a week or two or something?
They go challenge an art's champion, then they go on a training hall tour, then either Jason gets beaten up (usually), or Bill ties with the champ.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's not as bad (or disrespectful!) as it sounds from that description.

Haha! I just had a thought -- start a tv show with two goofs who go around barging into schools and saying, "We are here to kick your butts!"

Hahaha -- it probably wouldn't last for too many episodes!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haha! I just had a thought -- start a tv show with two goofs who go around barging into schools and saying, "We are here to kick your butts!"

Hahaha -- it probably wouldn't last for too many episodes!

It might... but they sure wouldn't!! :EG:

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so they have changed the air date from today to next Thursday!!
I think it plays perfectly into the conspiracy that they are finding a way to edit in Bill Duff recieving the knockout and somehow still winning the match!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it plays perfectly into the conspiracy that they are finding a way to edit in Bill Duff recieving the knockout and somehow still winning the match!

Ughhhhh!!! Im upset. Now I will have to go pop in a dvd to watch tonight. I was looking forward to this. They still must be wafting smelling salt under Bill's nose

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That guy is a football player, so it should not show too badly on him to be knocked out or to lose. At least he doesn't quit.

They cannot get away with any other outcome. The cat is out of the bag now. Bill went down.

I can't help but think that the TKD people thought, "We must knock him out, to show up the other schools." Hahaha -- I'm just joking about this, of course.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That guy is a football player, so it should not show too badly on him to be knocked out or to lose. At least he doesn't quit.

They cannot get away with any other outcome. The cat is out of the bag now. Bill went down.

I can't help but think that the TKD people thought, "We must knock him out, to show up the other schools." Hahaha -- I'm just joking about this, of course.

Sure you are
icon10.gif

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How is that a joke?! :lol: A TKD master should be able to knock that guy unconscious in less than a minute, right? I have a 30 year old 4th Dan instructor who started when he was 5 (Merry Christmas Master Frasier!), and he could lay that guy flat out in 10 seconds tops no problem. I guess I need to watch the show and more often and get a feel for it. It seems kind of silly to me, but I'm definitely open to anything that brings in an additional audience to the martial arts in general. Just seems kinda goofy from what I understand of the premise! :lol:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How is that a joke?! :lol: A TKD master should be able to knock that guy unconscious in less than a minute, right? I have a 30 year old 4th Dan instructor who started when he was 5 (Merry Christmas Master Frasier!), and he could lay that guy flat out in 10 seconds tops no problem. I guess I need to watch the show and more often and get a feel for it. It seems kind of silly to me, but I'm definitely open to anything that brings in an additional audience to the martial arts in general. Just seems kinda goofy from what I understand of the premise! :lol:

The joke unfortuneatly (sp?) is that the show tends to frame each match as "Bill nearly won" as he fights the local master, regardless of both he & Jason having about a week of training in each art. I agree with you, Jim. It's quite likely that it would take mere moments for a KO to happen in any Art they showed.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd hate to think any of those styles would need the attention enough to let Bill or Jason endure for more than a few minutes. Certainly TKD doesn't need the attention.
Now, if it were me, I would have KO'd the bugger ASAP just to show it could be done and negative attention be damned:)
Then I'd say "Who's next?"

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd hate to think any of those styles would need the attention enough to let Bill or Jason endure for more than a few minutes. Certainly TKD doesn't need the attention.
Now, if it were me, I would have KO'd the bugger ASAP just to show it could be done and negative attention be damned:)
Then I'd say "Who's next?"

I appreciate your conviction, but the idea of the show is expose the viewers to parts of an Art that they may never have seen before. A lot of folks think they know what, say Judo, is all about, but this (hopefully) gives them a better idea. Like a travel show that goes to many different places. To build drama, they have two guys with varying degrees of MA prowess to train & match the local master at the end. If it were a cooking show, the host would taste the local food he/she watched or helped being prepared.

The hard part is that we train daily for years in the Art we're watching, so we know the likely outcome. I don't think we can take it personally when they call a "close" match when our Art gets unique exposure like this.

I've seen positive results from the "Human Weapon" show. My 16 year old nephew has watched & trained with me in TKD & boxing his whole life. He's only had mild interest in it. A month ago, he watched the episode on Silat & was hooked! Over all, I think this show it a good thing.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate your conviction, but the idea of the show is expose the viewers to parts of an Art that they may never have seen before. A lot of folks think they know what, say Judo, is all about, but this (hopefully) gives them a better idea. Like a travel show

I think that's a good attitude...along with "believe half of what you see" at most. It's made to sell soap, folks, not for the likes of us.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still don't see why it's required to make the art look ineffective at the end of each episode by giving Bill a free pass every week. Does Bill losing somehow make the art seem less attractive to random non MA people?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still don't see why it's required to make the art look ineffective at the end of each episode by giving Bill a free pass every week. Does Bill losing somehow make the art seem less attractive to random non MA people?

I'm sure that is simply because Bill & Jason are the "stars" of the show. Can't make your talent look bad.

Latest Discussions