Human Weapon - Silat!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saw the show...somewhat sensationalistic treatment, a lot of hyperventilation and excessive use of adjectives such as `lethal' and `deadly' and whatnot, and not much technical detail... just out of curiosity, Brian, do you happen to know if they done a show about TKD, ever?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saw the show...somewhat sensationalistic treatment, a lot of hyperventilation and excessive use of adjectives such as `lethal' and `deadly' and whatnot, and not much technical detail... just out of curiosity, Brian, do you happen to know if they done a show about TKD, ever?

At least Bill laid off the "Superior Strenght" line..

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exile I believe they have not done a show on TKD but maybe it is in the works.

Anyway I was seriously disapointed with lasts nights episode.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least Bill laid off the "Superior Strenght" line..

Some poor scriptwriter will no doubt get the sack for having forgotten to include it, lol!... `But Bill, I was just trying to make the show less predictable...' `No excuses!! You're fired!!!'

Exile I believe they have not done a show on TKD but maybe it is in the works.

Heaven help us, if it is...

Anyway I was seriously disapointed with lasts nights episode.

If you could have scripted the show, planned to whole thing, using the same time/space/$$/ personnel resources (including the cast) as the actual program, how do you think you would have done it?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it would be more about the actual Art and techs. of said art. The show lack info. for any real and true martial artist, for the everage person they will most likely enjoy it and see some sort of value out od it. That is to bad the way they do this show.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you could have scripted the show, planned to whole thing, using the same time/space/$$/ personnel resources (including the cast) as the actual program, how do you think you would have done it?

Well if I was running it they would have been really sore. I would have scripted training with several Silat Master's and had them show hard core how the techniques work. (Bill and what's his name would have been really sore) then at the end the premise has always been about a fight and unfortunately last night was not a fight but more of a demonstration ie. no one was really trying to hurt each other. So many of the Silat systems particularly Silat Seni Gayong spar regularly so I would have had Bill take on Six guys in a row who were literally trying to take his head off. It would have been a true challenge of six rather than a demo.
icon6.gif

Still if I were to rework the Human Weapon I would get rid of the hosts fighting at the end and concentrate more on the arts and less on the hosts. (they would get very little to say and mostly just seriously bruised and battered for their time) The hosts certainly would not have any time to act cute or do or say anything that sounded cute.
icon6.gif
(they would be to battered) People would turn in just to see how painful it would be on them this week! :rofl:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me it would be more about the actual Art and techs. of said art. The show lack info. for any real and true martial artist, for the everage person they will most likely enjoy it and see some sort of value out od it. That is to bad the way they do this show.

Terry, I think you hit the nail on the head. While many martial artists are interested in and will watch these shows, I don't think martial artists are necessarily the core demographic they are targetting as that would be to limiting in ratings and attracting the advertising dollars.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if I was running it they would have been really sore. I would have scripted training with several Silat Master's and had them show hard core how the techniques work. (Bill and what's his name would have been really sore) then at the end the premise has always been about a fight and unfortunately last night was not a fight but more of a demonstration ie. no one was really trying to hurt each other. So many of the Silat systems particularly Silat Seni Gayong spar regularly so I would have had Bill take on Six guys in a row who were literally trying to take his head off. It would have been a true challenge of six rather than a demo.
icon6.gif

Still if I were to rework the Human Weapon I would get rid of the hosts fighting at the end and concentrate more on the arts and less on the hosts. (they would get very little to say and mostly just seriously bruised and battered for their time) The hosts certainly would not have any time to act cute or do or say anything that sounded cute.
icon6.gif
(they would be to battered) People would turn in just to see how painful it would be on them this week! :rofl:

:lol: I love it!! :lol:

A lot of the problem with that show is just that—too much in the way of demos (those kicks to the shoulder were so damned obviously staged), not enough serious combat...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another disappointing show with the hosts smiling way to much and doing way to much talking to the camera.
Considering some of the people they where training with I expected to see way more technique and training.

On the other hand if you where one of the instructors on the show how much could/would you show these two in a short period of time (how long do you think they spend with each instructor a day or two at most)

I always seem to end up watching the show and getting disappointed. Is that because I consider myself a martial artist with a little knowledge or because the show is more about the hosts then the arts

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sumo and Ninjutsu in December.... oh I GOT to see the Sumo fight and I tend to avoid the show but I really want to see Bill use his "Superior Strenght" line after he is hit by a 350lbs Sumo

Does anyone know whether it's available on line? I'd like to see it :p.

They have a website http://www.history.com/minisites/humanweapon
That is how I got the above info

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another disappointing show with the hosts smiling way to much and doing way to much talking to the camera.
Considering some of the people they where training with I expected to see way more technique and training.

On the other hand if you where one of the instructors on the show how much could/would you show these two in a short period of time (how long do you think they spend with each instructor a day or two at most)

I always seem to end up watching the show and getting disappointed. Is that because I consider myself a martial artist with a little knowledge or because the show is more about the hosts then the arts
A couple of times now they've made a comment along the lines of "after spending a week learning SuperDuperDo, we're putting it to the test."

I figure that, with a week to visit various instructors, and the requirements of filming the "training", there's really only so much you can do. Think about; you've got a week to train someone in your art -- with the understanding that the producers want some neat video shots. Anyone who's been involved in filming or posing for photos for a book or article knows that you won't get a lot done around the modeling/posing. Even assuming a more documentarian style where the camera crew tries to stay out of the way... it's just not easy.

Yeah, the dialogue is hokey and dumb. And the silly challenge at the end just isn't playing well. But, like others said, they're not aiming it only at martial artists, either.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dammit!!! I was watching ST:Enterprise marathon on SciFi & totally forgot it was gonna be on. Does anyone know when they're gonna have it on again?

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Once again it was disappointing. The test at the end was kind of lame. Did you notice that they only started to hammer on him a little after he elbowed that guy in the chops? He is like a bull in a china shop no wonder he relies on his "superior size and strength". Can't wait to see his SECRET ninja stealth techniques........oh sorry since they are secret we have to go behind the shoji screen.

Latest Discussions